Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview Vibes

mustlovedogs

Interview Vibes

Hello, eNA! I have posted a few times about my career search - thank you all for the help! I've been having a lot more luck lately and have four follow-up interviews next week. YAY! Additionally, I was told I'm going to get an offer for a role I discovered I'm not very interested in. But, all in all, things are looking up.

Here's my question: I had a phone interview last week with a small company (i.e., I'd be employee 2) and the whole thing has me nervous. During the interview he mentioned how he recently fired an employee but he didn't want to talk about it. Ok, that's fair. But then he gave me a fairly extensive assignment: research a potential project he's working on and prepare an in-depth research report detailing the engineering, supply chain, manufacturing, and operational considerations. This would include working with a small company's BOD, interviewing subject matter experts, researching current industry technology, identifying gaps in tech, proposing other applications, etc. I sincerely think this could take 10-15 hours at a minimum.

Now, I understand it takes work to find a job. But I'm concerned about this guy's expectations of his employees. It feels like an awful lot for a candidate to do. Not to mention, if I don't reply to one of his emails within 4 or so hours, he sends another one. I had to tell him I'm busy interviewing (which I am!). But I'm concerned he expects his employees to be at his beck and call, all the time.

Sooooo. My question: given I have 4 other very promising options, is it appropriate to back out of this process? If yes, how do I do this gracefully without burning a bridge?

RainyCoast
    so basically, do the work that is part of his project? sounds like he's trying to get someone to do his work for him for free.

does he intend to publish his findings? would you be credited?

mustlovedogs
    Quote Originally Posted by RainyCoast [Register to see the link]
    so basically, do the work that is part of his project? sounds like he's trying to get someone to do his work for him for free.

does he intend to publish his findings? would you be credited?
    ^ exactly my thoughts. No publishing, but this is venture capital, so he would use it as a basis to either value a company or pitch a proposal to a company, or something. But yes, he basically wants me to evaluate a potential project he's working on.

j.man
    "Small company" with one employee. Ask for his EIN. Guarantee you never hear from him again. Never mind the other shady **** and unprofessionalism ("I fired someone. Don't wanna talk about it").

Honestly sounds like an oDesk scam. Don't do his work for free. Forego the extortion and stick with your other three follow-ups.

RainyCoast
    During the interview he mentioned how he recently fired an employee but he didn't want to talk about it.
    what do you think that was about? intimidation of sorts...?

he said he fired someone, you went "how so'", he went i don't wanna taco bout it...?

so fishy.

mustlovedogs
    Phew ok fantastic. I'm glad the consensus is it's a little weird.

I don't want to seem ungrateful for the opportunity - but the whole thing is strange.

j.man
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    Phew ok fantastic. I'm glad the consensus is it's a little weird.

I don't want to seem ungrateful for the opportunity - but the whole thing is strange.
    On the extreme off chance he's got a connection or two in the field, don't do what I'd do, which would be to send a PDF of my morning dump.

mustlovedogs
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    On the extreme off chance he's got a connection or two in the field, don't do what I'd do, which would be to send a PDF of my morning dump.
    Hahaha. I like it.

Ok. I'm thinking of sending an email tomorrow saying something about I am busy interviewing, don't have the time to dedicate to this project, appreciate the opportunity, etc etc, but it's best if I remove myself from the process. Is that reasonable?

j.man
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs [Register to see the link]
    Hahaha. I like it.

Ok. I'm thinking of sending an email tomorrow saying something about I am busy interviewing, don't have the time to dedicate to this project, appreciate the opportunity, etc etc, but it's best if I remove myself from the process. Is that reasonable?
    Beyond so. I honestly wouldn't even bother corresponding to convey that much.

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    I would not take the bait either -it sounds off/weird. Sure, giving in a writing sample is one thing but doing actual work, unpaid -nope.

Good luck on your follow up interviews!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
College professorís strike and may let my son withdraw
Here in Ontario there has been a college professor strike for five weeks now and they may only be forced back to work next week which will be 5 1/2
How do I know if the things people say about me are legit or just jealousy?
I am currently a teacher and I am working on a masters in ed leadership so that I can one day maybe be an administrator. I am very quiet at work and
Turning a passion into a career
I'm a power user of a number of workplace software. Years ago, I worked part time teaching evening classes in Word and Excel. As a result, people
Anxious I offended my Boss and he is not happy with me
Hello everyone, I'm posting because I feel really plagued with workplace anxiety / obsessional thoughts I know I am very good at my job and I am
Applying to 2 Jobs Internally
I've been in my position at work for 1 year. I love the company. I am in an industry I care about. However, the work itself is menial and my
Coworkers from hell, please help
The forms of showing me that there's a problem between my coworkers and I have gotten a bit rediculous. There are some people there that I get along

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice