It happened. Most unromantic thing ever, but it happened. Ended up over a lunch table outside in Miami Beach, so coulda been worse, but the ol' lady has been stressing with the finishing up her residency, studying for boards this summer, and the job hunt. So she just threw out there how she was anxious I hadn't proposed yet. Couldn't bear to leave her hangin' anymore, so I let her know that I did in fact plan on getting her a ring first and needed a few contracts to pay out before I could spare the expense. I struggled with the ring idea (as many helpfully chimed in about), but ultimately decided if much of the relationship is going to be her providing the nice things (stands to make 2x - 3x more than I ever will), I can at least spot her a ring and show my willingness to do the same.

She said she'd rather just exchange the commitment to get married then and there, so we did. Told her I'm totally cool if she doesn't want to go around spilling the beans publicly to folks until I've gotten her the ring (women tend to face a certain wrath if they don't have a ring to present, apparently), but none of y'all know her anyway, so safe enough to say it here.

Just figured I'd give you guys a heads up. I chime in plenty on other people's business. Figure I could throw a bit of mine into the mix as well. You're good people.

Awwww, congrats, dude! Happy for you and your lady. What kind of wedding does she want? Big and loud, or small and quiet? I can imagine you guys eloping and then taking off to somewhere exotic, like Hawaii, or somewhere remote in the Mediterranean.

Miami Beach! I'm about 2 hours from there.

Archived