Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife versus mother on Mother's Day

someguy69
    Bronze Member

Wife versus mother on Mother's Day

While I understand that as long as your kids are young, you need to make sure that the kids all have cards and gifts for mom, but it doesn't quite sit well with me that once you're married with kids, that your own mother is a second class citizen.

Wives and mother-in-laws rarely get along, and so wives are none too keen to share this holiday.

From the husband's perspective, the wife is going to be celebrating Mother's Day for the rest of her life, but the husband's own mother may only have a decade left.

I can't see my wife being all cool about this when our son's have their own kids and are forced to minimize things with her in favour of their wives.

mustlovedogs
    How does your family do thanksgiving? Christmas? Or any other big holiday you celebrate?

Do Mother's Day the same way: each of your mothers on one day (she has a mom, too!) and your wife on Sunday.

annie24
    Is this a hypothetical scenario or is there a conflict going on with your wife and mom?

4. Thanks LaHermes thanked for this post
    jujusamples
    I always tell my husband this; just because we are married doesn't mean your mother doesn't exist. He's not good with holidays and stuff so I always remind him and we go get his mom a gift together.

Since we have my mom and his mom to celebrate, we just take them out on different days (they don't mind) or one for lunch and the other for dinner.

If I myself become a mother one day, I wouldn't mind sharing it with my mom and mother in law. It's not that big of a deal if you don't make it out to be. I understand wives and mother in law don't always get along but it's a day to show your mom your appreciation. If your wife don't want to celebrate together, then do either lunch/dinner with your wife and the other with your mother.

You are right, you only have so much time with your mother, appreciate her while you can.

6. Thanks ThatwasThen, TheRawTruth thanked for this post
    luminousone
    Platinum Member
    I'm not sure why you think a mother in law ends up as a second class citizen. It all depends on you and how you honor her.

When I was married, we always got together with extended family and the guys would do the planning. We always purchased a hanging flower basket for my MIL. Since there were several other mothers there, plus a few family birthdays, we celebrated together. My own mom lives a few thousand miles away, so I didn't have that conflict.

Even if a group celebration is not possible, then you split up the celebrating - brunch with one, out to dinner with the other...

You can certainly honor them both!

Being divorced now, my boys come over and cook a nice dinner for me on Mother's Day. I sent my mom a card and will call her, and I have some family pictures for her. I will get a flower planter for my former MIL too.

SherrySher
    Take your Mother out for lunch and give her flowers and take your wife to dinner and give her flowers.
    What's the problem?

9. Thanks Dahl, TheRawTruth thanked for this post
    Krankor
    To be honest, your post reads a little strangely. You seem to be giving your opinion on a situation without giving any real background.

From what I can glean, however, yes; it's mother's day, not wife's day. If your wife is insisting that you focus your attention on her and not your own mother then she is being petty. Certainly you can acknowlege the mother of your own kids but if she's asking that you neglect your mother I would flat out refuse to bow to her wishes.

It's kind of a silly, made up holiday anyway.

11. Thanks Dahl, Jibralta, jujusamples, Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    someguy69
    Bronze Member
    I'm taking my wife and kids out to a fancy dinner, and invited my mother to come, and my wife is treating it like a great injustice, complaining to all her friends, and they all agree with her and think it was a horrible thing for me to do, that my wife has to share part of Mother's Day with my mother.

journeynow
    I'm a mother with grown kids who have long been independent from me. So while I am still their mother, I am not "actively" mothering them, and while I appreciate any Mother's Day sentiments they give me, it is not essential to me. Plus, the gratitude goes both ways and I can be happy just appreciating the gift of them being my children. When they were young and I was up to my neck in mothering responsibilities, THAT IS WHEN being recognized on Mother's Day was significant to me. Focus on the mother of dependent children because very likely they could use a moment of appreciation in their busy lives. But it is not all that hard for YOU to spread the appreciation around to different generations. It doesn't have to be a conflict. You can appreciate the mother of your children, and your mother, and the mother of your grandchildren without taking anything away from any of them.

14. Thanks Dahl, thealchemist thanked for this post
    journeynow
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy69 [Register to see the link]
    I'm taking my wife and kids out to a fancy dinner, and invited my mother to come, and my wife is treating it like a great injustice, complaining to all her friends, and they all agree with her and think it was a horrible thing for me to do, that my wife has to share part of Mother's Day with my mother.
    Ah, I was typing as you posted this so didn't see it until now.

It's not horrible, BUT perhaps it makes her feel like more of a generic mother rather than the special person who is mothering your children. How old are your kids? Do your wife and your mother get along?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
How should I kick my mother out when the time comes?
My mother currently lives with me and my girlfriend and she is aware that in another year my girlfriend and I want to make some big life changes and
I need advice
Hello, About two months ago, my 24 year old stepson relocated from Ohio to live with us (my husband, our two daughters and me). We have a two
Trying to hold my new family together
I had a baby 6.5 weeks ago, me and the father live together, broke up a month ago, but kinda together now, well, I've agreed to stay and try so's not
Need advice
I Came off of birth control 2 days ago and had unprotected sex today. Noticed some light bleeding hours later just when I wiped (probably withdrawal
This wedding is tearing my family apart
My sister is getting married to her boyfriend of 2 years, and it's been tearing everyone apart. Honestly, I'm not even sure where to begin on this
Continuous Issues with my Mother
Haven't posted in quite a while and when I did it was on the same subject. To make a long story short, I've had issues with my mother since I
My dads freaks out when I drive with him
I just got my permit a few days ago. My dad has been really busy with work so he hasn't had a chance to go driving with me (he is usually the one who

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Where do you draw the line? GF's and guy friends
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica]Hey guys, need some quick help on this one. Please help [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica]Yesterday my GF says
OMG he has a wedding date.
All, A couple of years ago, I dated a guy. There were things that were amazing but also horrible. A little over a year ago, we reconnected. He
HELPPP!!! Boyfriend broke up with me out of the blue
hi. REALLY REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP. my boyfriend recently broke up with me out of the blue and we were dating for 2.5 years. everything was
Why does this bother me so much?
Hey guys. So gf of 7 years has left me for another guy again long story short and some of you know the long. So I did the unhealthy habit of looking
My girlfriend of 3 years just told me she is polyamorous
I have no idea how to feel about it. She assured me she didn't want to force it on me and could live monogamously with me but the thought of
Dealing with inconsiderate, selfish people from dawn till dusk.
Not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here it is. Lately my life seems to be about dealing with people who are inconsiderate. From
Toxic relationship // venting
Sometimes writing everything out helps me get a better understanding of certain situations. I'm sorry for the long post, I do want some advice, but
Ask For Advice