Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My boyfriend thinks I have a drinking problem, but is it the age gap?

Platinum Member
    Why is it absolutely necessary to drink?

Are you one of those people who believe they need to drink in order to "have fun"?

i feel like you are trying to weasel out ways to continue getting drunk. at that point, you can safely call yourself an addict.
    Whem someone you trust says "Baby, I think you may have a problem with alcohol," the best response is: "I hadn't noticed. How about I stop, at least for a while. Can't hurt."

If you have an impulse of wanting to rebel against your bf, then you don't trust yourself. Be fearless when accepting coaching from others.

Originally Posted by maghumz
    I've always had a problem knowing my limit because I feel as if it changes. I could have 5 drinks and not even appear drunk or have 10 drinks and appear pretty drunk, but both those times I wouldn't remember most of the night. It's something weird that I've been trying to figure out, but some of the times I don't remember and have asked my friends, a lot of them have said "Oh I didn't even know you were that drunk, you seemed completely normal."
    Your limit doesn't change, though you may feel less drunk if you are drinking regularly. If you drink regularly, you may become desensitized to the feeling of drunkenness. This is dangerous because you are may think you're ok to drive, etc., when you are actually impaired.

Another thing to consider is that all drinks aren't created equal. Wine can range from 8% to 15% alcohol, which makes a big difference. Beer has a range, too, though generally lower. Hard alcohol can be 40% - 50% alcohol. Then you have mixed drinks, which vary by bartender and pour. So consider that when you are drinking.

When I was 19, getting wasted was awesome. When I was 27, my friends who got still drunk like that were REALLY FREAKING ANNOYING. I had to start avoiding certain people because I couldn't trust them not to get stupid drunk and ruin my night.

Platinum Member
    Here's an idea! You and your boyfriend make pact to put alcohol out off your lives altogether. It would be beneficial to both of you to do that. There is absolutely not one thing that is healthy about putting putting alcohol into your body, and on the contrary, does much to contribute to the downfall of your health and that of your boyfriend.

You are at a turning point in your life, young lady. Make the right choice. Instead, concentrate on putting healthy things in your body. For goodness sake....this is not rocket science. chi

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Your limit doesn't change, though you may feel less drunk if you are drinking regularly. If you drink regularly, you may become desensitized to the feeling of drunkenness. This is dangerous because you are may think you're ok to drive, etc., when you are actually impaired.

Another thing to consider is that all drinks aren't created equal. Wine can range from 8% to 15% alcohol, which makes a big difference. Beer has a range, too, though generally lower. Hard alcohol can be 40% - 50% alcohol. Then you have mixed drinks, which vary by bartender and pour. So consider that when you are drinking.

When I was 19, getting wasted was awesome. When I was 27, my friends who got still drunk like that were REALLY FREAKING ANNOYING. I had to start avoiding certain people because I couldn't trust them not to get stupid drunk and ruin my night.
    The body DOES metabolize alcohol differently at different times, especially for women, which can lead to differences in how we feel when we drink. HOWEVER, if drinking is important enough to warrant this much discussion, then you need to drink less.

Like others have said, for many, drinking to excess of the weekends is very much BTDT. I have friends who still drink too much at certain events. They plan it, their husbands back them up, its intentional. On those nights, I remain sober same as other nights. Its just not that interesting to me to lose clarity.

Knowing you have trouble knowing your limit is an opportunity for you to stay beneath your limit, always. That way, its not an issue.

Originally Posted by IThinkICan
    The body DOES metabolize alcohol differently at different times
    Oh, true:

I would say alcohol is alcohol, and a gap is a gap. So you have two problems

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice