Salary negotiation question

A recruiter contacted me this week about a job that seems custom-made for my background with a really good company.

Two things bothered me. First, she talked to the company about me before talking to me. And second, she threw down a salary for me, which is lower than what I'll ask for.

I'm not sure if I should agree to an interview or not. I don't feel comfortable having this recruiter represent me.

If I do interview, how do I go about resetting the salary expectation?

Talk to the recruiting company. They may have only been able to secure the interview based on a certain salary range. And if this is the case, then decline the interview.

If you go to the company and tell them the salary is too low, you were hoping for $.... they might hire someone just as good but more willing to accept the lower rate.

There's a rule of thumb with interviews: NEVER ask about money during an interview. Unless you want to waste your time going to an interview, only to be certainly turned down on the job offer later. If you want to discuss it, talk to the recruiter to expand the range or negotiate the salary after the company gives you a job offer.

Recruiter has a job to do also. They have to find people who can do the work at a spacific price point. This is usually stated by the company. Pretty sure they would like you to get a higher salery. Some work off a percentage of what you make. The company pays more for you in the beginning. You do not see it the recruiter company does. That's how they make their $$$. Good luck

Tell the recruiter you will only consider interviews with a base salary of $_______ per year plus whatever benefit package you think is appropriate.

Many companies obviously want to pay as little as possible for each position. Chances are they will not get many qualified applicants if the salary is to low and will have to up the offer.

Head hunters make deals on both sides and don't have any allegiance to anyone so state what your minimum is to even consider an interview so next time they won't waste your time.

Many people do not know their worth in the corporate world, if you know yours it is a very good start.

Lost

Whatever the salary the recruiter told you about is what the company will pay. Basically, the company gave the recruiter their budget for the position and it's now on them to find a qualified candidate in that salary level. Tell the recruiter that your salary requirements are x. Do not schedule an interview and then tell the company that your expectations are significantly higher. You'll be wasting everyone's time.

Basically, either the recruiter will give the company feedback that in order to secure a person with x,y, z skills they will need to up the pay rate or they will not up the pay rate and compromise on some of the skill requirements....or they will find someone else who will take the job with all the skills and qualifications they need and within budget.

Recruiters work on your compensation percentage, so they generally love to up the salary range. The more they can get you, the more they make themselves. However, that's always tempered by what the company will pay and that isn't always very flexible.

Does she get her commissions from the companies? They are sales people selling prospects to companies, but if the commission comes from the employers (usually does) she does whatever it takes to "sell you".

Go to the interview anyway and do it as if she never said a word about salary.

First, she talked to the company about me before talking to me. And second, she threw down a salary for me, which is lower than what I'll ask for.

How do you feel about your current role and company?

I wouldn't fault a recruiter for presenting my resume before the fact--the whole reason you submitted it in the first place was for it to be used as a screening tool.

I'd go back to recruiter and tell her that the salary range is too low. Period. It's up to her whether she can get that expanded, and if not, you've wasted none of your time. It also teaches the recruiter your low limit so she won't bother you with anything not suitable to your salary requirements.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

The recruiter is going off of my current salary. When I asked what the salary range for the job actually is, she wouldn't say, or didn't know. Either way, the number she gave for me is less than median wage for this position. The position is a different level than where I'm at now. I don't believe that my current salary should be the basis for this position, since they are completely different roles.

I tried telling the recruiter I wouldn't look at less than $x but she talked right over me and told me what I'd be getting. I saw the job advertised on LinkedIn by her boss, and his number was higher. I think this recruiter is...weird.

I don't bring up salary myself during interviews. I let the company do that, and if they do, I figure they are serious about me.

At this point, I have a job that I hate, but I can hold out to get what I really want in a new job. I'm lucky.

I don't want to interview if they really are offering less than fair compensation for the job, but it's equally possible that she is low balling me, and I could negotiate my own salary if they offered the job.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

The recruiter is going off of my current salary. When I asked what the salary range for the job actually is, she wouldn't say, or didn't know. Either way, the number she gave for me is less than median wage for this position. The position is a different level than where I'm at now. I don't believe that my current salary should be the basis for this position, since they are completely different roles.

I tried telling the recruiter I wouldn't look at less than $x but she talked right over me and told me what I'd be getting. I saw the job advertised on LinkedIn by her boss, and his number was higher. I think this recruiter is...weird.

I don't bring up salary myself during interviews. I let the company do that, and if they do, I figure they are serious about me.

At this point, I have a job that I hate, but I can hold out to get what I really want in a new job. I'm lucky.

I don't want to interview if they really are offering less than fair compensation for the job, but it's equally possible that she is low balling me, and I could negotiate my own salary if they offered the job.

Well, you know that 'she' is lowballing you because you saw a higher figure from her boss. Why not contact him? Send your resume, and if he passes you off onto her, go back to him and tell him that you don't want to work with her.

Nothing to lose.

Well, you know that 'she' is lowballing you because you saw a higher figure from her boss. Why not contact him? Send your resume, and if he passes you off onto her, go back to him and tell him that you don't want to work with her.

Nothing to lose.

Thanks! That might do the trick.

I won't be using her going forwards. I'm laughing at myself because I'd decided that 2 months ago...but when she called me saying she'd already presented me to a company, I felt like I had to go with it. Next time she does that, I won't "go with it".

Archived