High School Graduation Gift Struggle - I need advice

LifesDetour

A Watch

my ex received a beautiful watch on his graduation. - I know that young people don't wear them much nowadays, but it's always something they can look back at and feel proud...

my late husband purchased a watch for him before he passed for me to give to him for college graduation. He wears watches and has worn his father's watches all through high school. Thank you so much for answering.

My graduation gifts were things for college. Laundry soap, bedding, shampoo and conditioner, etc - plus some fun things, like good movies, board games, etc.

Are you paying for his entire college? Including spending money? If so, this may not be valid. But if you want him to take care of himself, these gifts get you out the door and ready for a bit.

My graduation gifts were things for college. Laundry soap, bedding, shampoo and conditioner, etc - plus some fun things, like good movies, board games, etc.

Are you paying for his entire college? Including spending money? If so, this may not be valid. But if you want him to take care of himself, these gifts get you out the door and ready for a bit.

He has received scholarships and should be able to maintain his grades to keep them. I AM footing the bill for spending money. Single parenting sucks, but I have been able to do it. Not well, but I am doing it.

He has received scholarships and should be able to maintain his grades to keep them. I AM footing the bill for spending money. Single parenting sucks, but I have been able to do it. Not well, but I am doing it.

You're not getting my point, not really at least.

Your posts are confusing - you make it sound like you're very wealthy and then you imply you're struggling.

Here's my two cents. If he wants for nothing, give him things to live off of and give him some independence. Otherwise he may continue to be dependent on you far beyond college. That's why I liked my gift. I was able to exist without needing my parents, but they helped me get started.

Can I ask what his profession is? maybe something to incorporate that? something for his desk? office? or something for DYI (if he's into that) like drills, skill saws.... Does he have anything that he needs upgraded? Laptop, Bed, Armchair, Camera?

Or a travel voucher for two, so he can take a friend anywhere in the country/world? (sorry I have no idea how much you were wanting to spend so being extravagant..)

It is very hard nowadays in a materialistic world. - Goodluck

I'd plan a special father-son outing or trip if possible. If he's going off to college, you'll probably be seeing a lot less of him, so this is a great time to make some good memories together.

Well, his father passed 3 years ago. And, I HAVE booked a cruise. 4 moms and 4 boys. He is very excited about it. Fun!

You're not getting my point, not really at least.

Your posts are confusing - you make it sound like you're very wealthy and then you imply you're struggling.

Here's my two cents. If he wants for nothing, give him things to live off of and give him some independence. Otherwise he may continue to be dependent on you far beyond college. That's why I liked my gift. I was able to exist without needing my parents, but they helped me get started.

I am struggling with the idea of something that will be meaningful. Yes I am very blessed to not have to worry about money for anything. Booked a cruise with 3 other moms and our boys.

Well, his father passed 3 years ago. And, I HAVE booked a cruise. 4 moms and 4 boys. He is very excited about it. Fun!

I am so sorry. For some reason I had the idea that you were his father. Cruise sounds wonderful. I don't think you need to buy him anything else - it sounds like he already has everything he could need/want and more.

I am struggling with the idea of something that will be meaningful. Yes I am very blessed to not have to worry about money for anything. Booked a cruise with 3 other moms and our boys.

Give him something non-material. Write him a letter, go on a hike together, take him to dinner and let him talk about his memories and dreams, make a book of memories and stories shared...

Archived