Am I too obsessed with my signficant other?

Emj2006

So after having dinner last night with the girlfriend she pointed out that she feels like I care about her way too much and seem to be obsessed with her. Which coming to think about it is true because I like her a lot but I'm starting to think that I may actually be too obsessed with her. She's on my mind a lot and I'm always thinking about the next time I see her. Is this too much? I think I demonstrate that I like her too much as we always text all day long and am very affectionate and I always remind her of how amazing she is/etc. I'm trying to find a way to maybe not be as obsessed but still like her if that makes any sense. Has anybody ever experienced being too obsessed with your significant other?

Do you have a life beside her? Like hobbies, interests and stuff? Do you hang out with your friends often? If you don't I'd tell you it's better to start doing this things. If she feels like she's the center of your life it can lead to her feeling smothered or drained and in the future it might turn her off and make her step back from you in order to have space or something like that.

However, if you get a nice life besides her, she'll see you as a mature man that is not emotionally dependent on her and she'll feel great for having an important role in your life despite the great activities, friends and life in general that you have. She won't feel burdened and will respect you more.

Obsession in relationships is usually a slippery slope.

Yeah I actually do hang out with friends very often as well! But since we do talk a lot she may feel that she's the center of my life but of course so I may have to convince her otherwise that that is not the case.

I'd tell you to only text her when you're not busy. For instance, if you're with your friends or working or doing something don't touch your cellphone. It's a common courtesy thing to your friends and it's healthy. I'm also guilty of living glued to my cellphone and I'm trying to change it.

I wouldn't suggest manipulative tricks to suggest differently, I'd just suggest you to keep on having a life and while you're living it not texting her because you're busy doing your stuff and hanging out with your friends.

Ok it sounds like too much texting and smothering. Just lay back on the texting... a lot and try not to fawn and make her the center of your universe. Just hang back, that's all. It sounds like way too much too soon and it's stifling things.

I think I demonstrate that I like her too much as we always text all day long and am very affectionate and I always remind her of how amazing she is/etc. we made it an "official" relationship New Year's Day. About a month and a half after New Year's she said that she needed some time away as she said she needed to get her paranoia about her health in order first

It's not about convincing her. Your actions speak for you loud and clear.

So if you are constantly texting her, touching her when you are together, throwing a lot of compliments at her that start to sound shallow - it will come across as suffocating and like you are obsessing. So cut back on texting all the time. It does get old and people do have other things to do, as do you. If she shows up for the date all dolled up, by all means compliment her, but then stop. Don't keep pouring it on too thick because then it loses value. Same thing with being affectionate. Being affectionate is great, but check yourself a bit and make sure that you aren't in her space ALL the time to the point where she starts to feel like you are Mr. tentacle hands.

It's OK to be excited about someone, but try to give her and yourself a bit of space and breathing room too, because if you don't, you'll burn this relationship out. When you are out with friends doing your own things, put the phone away and do your own things. It's a kind of self editing. Just like you don't spew out loud every single thought that pops into your head, you don't call/text your gf every single time you think of her so to speak.

Archived