Should I change my job?

Hi I come from an Indian ethnicity ,currently live in USA with my husband. We are legal immigrants. And very educated , financially good too. I am experiencing stereotypy and rascism at my workplace currently. No one sits with me during meetings. Everyone feels hesitant to accompany me anywhere alone. They have lot of stereotypes about Indians we are poor people, we don't divorce often, we are very very traditional. Inspite of me telling and clarifying it's not the same all the time. They still want to stick to their beliefs. Is this rascism? Or should I call them ignorant or should I blame media for portraying india like that?

I really feel very uncomfortable at office. I don't have any friends. I really want to switch jobs, but I was thinking if all Americans are same, what is the use of switching jobs?!? Are all Americans like this?

They have lot of stereotypes about Indians we are poor people, we don't divorce often, we are very very traditional. Inspite of me telling and clarifying it's not the same all the time. They still want to stick to their beliefs. Is this rascism?

If coworkers have outright told you this, then you have a solid case. Document it... Time and dates... And speak with HR. I would try to talk to HR right now.

But people refusing to sit with you is not enough evidence to cry out racism. Blatant statements are.

This is definitely NOT typical of offices (or people) in the United States. No way. I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Very mid-west. I work for a mid-size (in our field) company, roughly 100+ employees and 60+ in my office, and we have a wide variety of ethnicities and we absolutely encourage and practice inclusion. I will admit we are predominantly Caucasian, however, we try to recruit from all ethnicities. We have various ethnicities in each of our 3 locations. In my personal experience, at our North/Chicago location, we have many office friendship-groups (that form naturally....when personalities just "click') and they definitely do not trend to ethnicity. Hispanic, Japanese, Pakistani, Indian, Polish, Native American, African American, Caucasian, and we also have a wide religious (for what it's worth) background, from Catholic, Agnostic, Atheist, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, etc.

To me, it sounds like your work environment is toxic/hostile. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. Please don't think this is typical of the U.S. You deserve better than this, I would definitely start looking for jobs elsewhere and pay attention to the company culture. Checking out all employees of a potential company on LinkedIn would give you a good idea whether or note they are really diverse or not. Just a thought. I wish you great success in finding a position with a firm that values you as a human and as a contributing individual and cares not, about your race, gender or religion!

It could be racism. It could also just be people gravitating to those they understand and get along with better. They may not know how to interact or alternatively may not realize they aren't sitting next to you.

I encourage you to strike up conversation more. Try and be aware of others reactions - it's possible your behavior doesn't match the cultural norm and it's accidentally off-putting. If you see a strange reaction, think back on it and wonder why.

They could just be jerks too, of course!

Where are you in the US where Indian people are stereotyped as poor? They're like one of the most over-represented demographics in both education and high income careers here.

In any case, as others have suggested, document anything racist toward you. Are people just coming up to you and saying, "You know, I hear Indians never divorce?" I don't understand how these conversations are even being brought up. It's best to focus on work and not get yourself in discussions over divorce statistics.

The irony. Ouch, the irony.

You are complaining of these folk painting a certain group of people with the same brush, but you are doing it ' are all Americans like this?! What's the point!'.

It's really hard to tell from what you describe what the full story is. If you truly believe you are being discriminated against, it's worth documenting as Sunny said the specific situations. Any time there is a problem with work, I document the heck out of it now .

Archived