Am I a codependent to my mom ?

9224sp

I love my mom. I consider her my best friend. I'm 24 and she's 52. Three years ago she was laid off from her job of 15 years. She also suffered from a heart attack. I was working and going to school at the time but finances were bad so I dropped out and decided to get more jobs and help out. I have a 20yo brother whose been there and a 32 yo sister that just started living with us 6 months ago.

I want to go back to school and move out but now I feel stuck there working 3 jobs. My mother is healthy and found a new job but is still catching up. We all pay rent to help but my brother and sister are forgiven if they can't make theirs. I've ended having to cover them on more than one occasion. I always pay mine in full and on time and I help when sudden stuff comes up like the mortage, the car she bought for her boyfriend being repossessed, and an electricity bill. If I don't I feel guilty.

I really want to move out and start my own life. But I'm afraid that she'll need help and I have to be here. I'm starting to resent my family. What should I do?

Move out and resume your life as it was. Be supportive in non monetary ways. She's back at work so she'll have to resume her life as it was and budget herself again. Your siblings need to get jobs.. Why is she buying guys cars and asking you for money?

the car she bought for her boyfriend being repossessed,

You were there for her when she really needed you. You should feel good about that. Now it's time for you to go. Maybe sit down and talk with her, tell her how much you love her, and give her a timeframe.

Your siblings are adults, and your mom is better now - no need to feel guilt, you have already gone beyond to be there for them.

You move out and start your life! I was understanding until I got to fact that your mom bought her boyfriend a car? Are you serious? Don't feel guilty for wanting to start your life, your mom got more than enough of your help! If she could afford to buy her boyfriend a car, she could afford her bills.

You made a incredible sacrifice to be there when your mother was down and out and desperately needed help. However, all that is now in the past, she is back on her feet and working. You are now done with all that and need to go resume your own life head held high. Do not turn a great deed into a parasitic existence, where your family starts to take advantage of you because you allow it by being their personal atm.

As for your guilt......don't be so arrogant as to believe that your family can't handle themselves and their business without your help and interference. When someone is sick, you step up, once they are well, you step away. When someone can't pay their rent because they didn't budget and spent the money on something frivolous, you step away and leave them to feel the pain of their own sh$tty decisions so that hopefully in the future they'll make better ones. When someone buys some guy they are dating a car......you step so far away from that....you can't even see them for the distance. The more you try to save them from their sh$tty decisions, the more you teach them to continue to make sh$tty decisions.

Archived