Dry Messages

DAmari

The boy I am talking is a dry texter (someone who can't keep a conversation going). I have stopped messaging him altogether because of more than three times--he would always hit me back up. He has said that he wanted me to be his girlfriend but I can't go with someone that can't even keep a conversation going (by the way I told him that). Sometimes, he can but MOST of the time he can't. He said he was going to work on it more than a couple of times but I barely see a difference. I kind of see him as a friend but at the same time I don't because...I'm just confused. I don't want to stop talking to him altogether because karma is a (excuse my language). By the way he always has a habit of saying "twu" (means that's wassup) or "wyd". Any advice?

The boy I am talking is a dry texter (someone who can't keep a conversation going). I have stopped messaging him altogether because of more than three times--he would always hit me back up. He has said that he wanted me to be his girlfriend but I can't go with someone that can't even keep a conversation going (by the way I told him that). Sometimes, he can but MOST of the time he can't. He said he was going to work on it more than a couple of times but I barely see a difference. I kind of see him as a friend but at the same time I don't because...I'm just confused. I don't want to stop talking to him altogether because karma is a (excuse my language). By the way he always has a habit of saying "twu" (means that's wassup) or "wyd". Any advice?

Conversations are for the phone or face to face. Not texting

Texting is not dating or a relationship. Get some text buddies for that. Does he take you out on dates? If not, you are wasting your time.

He has said that he wanted me to be his girlfriend but I can't go with someone that can't even keep a conversation going

Have you met him in person? Some people are just not into text messaging all day or talking through text besides short important things. Real conversations should be saved for dates.

If that's REALLY a deal breaker for you and how he is in person is not enjoyable for you, then end this all together with him.

I kind of like his aversion to texting. It can be so inane and devoid of, well, anything really.

AS LONG as, in person, you have good chats and banter? Or is the dry texting an extension of dry conversation?

Texting only works for me when I am at work or in public. Once I am home it's dominated by the TV, Computer, Phone

For hundreds of thousands of years, human beings have been capable of having relationships while accepting the reality that when you're away from each other, you're away from each other and living life accordingly. How the hell we haven't been able to adapt back to it after like 15 years since SMS has been a thing never ceases to amaze me.

I'm an optimist who believed that, ultimately, this obsession was just a byproduct of dissemination and that it would scale back once accepted. But maybe we genuinely are ****ed.

In any case, text messages are inherently dry. Takes quite an ego to think whatever 30 characters your sending are pure exhilaration.

I admit I'm probably one of those dry texts type of person. The reason; I absolutely HATE texting! No, I"m not old. I used to love to text like you do, but I learnt the hard way that texts could be misinterpreted and conversations get's no where. I rather speak to the person on the phone or face to face. That way, I'm not reading or taking things the wrong way. I like to see body language or have somewhat of a connection when conversing with someone.

A relationship based on texts is a waste of time for me. The amount of time you are spending texting, you could be spending time together! You can't truly get to know someone with texts, you are only getting to know your phone. You could only truly get to know someone if you spend time with them.

Don't get me wrong, texts are great for short messages, like I'll be home late, busy in a meeting, I'll meet you @ and etc... but not ideal for a conversation. Really not ideal to based a relationship on it either.

For hundreds of thousands of years, human beings have been capable of having relationships while accepting the reality that when you're away from each other, you're away from each other and living life accordingly. How the hell we haven't been able to adapt back to it after like 15 years since SMS has been a thing never ceases to amaze me.

I'm an optimist who believed that, ultimately, this obsession was just a byproduct of dissemination and that it would scale back once accepted. But maybe we genuinely are ****ed.

In any case, text messages are inherently dry. Takes quite an ego to think whatever 30 characters your sending are pure exhilaration.

My ego must be in great shape because I have sent some gloriously exhilarating 30 character and less texts.

I kind of like his aversion to texting. It can be so inane and devoid of, well, anything really.

AS LONG as, in person, you have good chats and banter? Or is the dry texting an extension of dry conversation?

I mean it can so boring at times. It's like he makes no effort but he's the one that keep hitting me up.

I admit I'm probably one of those dry texts type of person. The reason; I absolutely HATE texting! No, I"m not old. I used to love to text like you do, but I learnt the hard way that texts could be misinterpreted and conversations get's no where. I rather speak to the person on the phone or face to face. That way, I'm not reading or taking things the wrong way. I like to see body language or have somewhat of a connection when conversing with someone.

A relationship based on texts is a waste of time for me. The amount of time you are spending texting, you could be spending time together! You can't truly get to know someone with texts, you are only getting to know your phone. You could only truly get to know someone if you spend time with them.

Don't get me wrong, texts are great for short messages, like I'll be home late, busy in a meeting, I'll meet you @ and etc... but not ideal for a conversation. Really not ideal to based a relationship on it either.

I agree! But he lives in whole 'nother state from me. I don't mind getting on the phone he just doesn't bring it up

I never seen him in person, lol.

Haha funny and right on the money.

This is so true... and I admit that there were some times in my life where I was heavy on the texts/facebook messages even though I've never seen texting vigorously as a prerequisite to a good relationship... it's even tiring sometimes lol

Besides it's healthy to be some time away from our partners and this also means without being on constant contact.

I never seen him in person, lol.

If you've never seen him in person nor talked to him on the phone it's hard to access if you're creating a true connection and really getting to know him and it's not good to nag him about his texting habits at this point before even meeting in person.

Texting and online conversation many times create a false sense of connection and expectations.

Not to say that things in person won't be wonderful, but it's good to keep expectations low and don't invest too much emotionally before meeting in person and having some consistent dating time.

That being said, why not calling him? It's not the same as being in person but it's a better way of really talking rather than texting.

I think you're wasting your time with this guy, OP.

What's the point of a text "relationship" with someone who lives far away? He's probably thinking the same thing, hence his lackluster texts. He's just not that interested, by the sounds of it.

I'm not interested either, I just don't want to hurt his feelings.

Hurt his feelings...how? If he hasn't expressed an interest in meeting you or even talking on the phone, I don't think you need to be worried about that.

If you're not interested, why does it matter if his texts are dry and boring?

How would you hurt his feelings if you don't have a relationship nor met in person nor he seems too invested in this? Maybe you both continue to text each other because you both think the other is interested when in fact you're both feeling lackluster and "meh" about the "relationship" and are just texting out of courtesy and politeness. None of you has any kind of obligation towards the other. Any of you can end this at any time and move on to more fulfilling interactions in person with other people.

Archived