LinkedIn Post - Announce Career Search?

Hello eNA!

I will be graduating in a few short weeks and I'm presently looking for a job. I have had a handful of interviews recently, which is promising. I would love to further tap in to my network, however, and make a post about how I'm graduating and am looking for work.

What I'm looking at saying is basically I will be graduating soon and I'm interesting in positions related to x, y, and z. Say what degrees I have, what experience I have, and asking if my network knows of any roles they are looking to fill or people they can refer me to.

Does that sound alright? Is it too needy? I was vague intentionally to avoid giving out too much personal information I would ideally keep it at 3-4 total lines long.

I'd send it out as an e-mail rather than post it. Your profile should already read like a resume.

Also, troll through and add recruiters in your field to your list of connections.

Also, apply to jobs through linked as well actively yourself, which is why your profile already needs to read like a resume and be sure to attache a real resume to any job you apply to on linkedin.

Ultimately, your best bet is actually your uni career services. Companies that are willing to hire recent grads will recruit on directly on campus rather than general job boards. Have them review your resume. Comply with whatever they ask. Literally suck up to the ladies in that office because they have a whole lot of power on who will see your resume or not. They will do a lot of screening for various employers. Make sure you are applying yourself through the career services system, attend job fairs they hold, attend any resume or interview skills workshops they have.

Agree, make such requests personal through their inmail. Also have you uploaded your contact list to see who's on there that you already know? Keep building your network up. What about joining alumni associations? Get recommendations from professors.

Of course have an excellent resume and link it to your profile.

What I'm looking at saying is basically I will be graduating soon and I'm interesting in positions related to x, y, and z. Say what degrees I have, what experience I have, and asking if my network knows of any roles they are looking to fill or people they can refer me to.

I'm doing everything you guys already said - but I was hoping to do one batch message that people could see. I reach out to people as I see jobs posted, but I was hoping to maybe trigger a contact to think "She would be perfect in this position" or "my friend Todd told me he was looking at hiring soon, I'll refer her to him."

I recently saw a tag line that read, "Excited to be looking for work in the xyz field. If you are in need of a passionate blahblahblah or know someone who is, please message me." I don't know if he got any messages, but I liked his approach.

Ok cool, I think I like that too. Thank you!

Congratulations! I think I wrote "interested in part-time opportunities" on my Linkedin when I was looking (and if I didn't I'm sure I saw that on other profiles). I wouldn't do more than that. I also was told to add a photo which I did not feel comfortable doing but many of my connections do. I did not get my job through Linkedin BUT it was a very handy way to network through messages and also it felt comfortable to ask someone I met if I could add the person on Linkedin because it's far less personal than Facebook. It also was a way I got connected to a networking group in my city. Anyway to your specific question,that's what I would do and good luck!!

Archived