How do I ask for the rest of the money politely?

I'm in my senior year of college and I'm working with a start up company for an internship to make some extra money. I was told in the beginning that I'd be receiving a total of $2,500 and it's been taking a while for them to submit my money (I'm getting it in a form of a scholarship through my school in which I can send to my bank account). I graduate in 2.5 weeks and then my school account will become inactive so this is kind of a time sensitive thing.

So this morning I receive an email from the professor saying that the department has entered a scholarship for $1500 into my account and that it should show up at the end of the week. As I mentioned before, I was told I'd be receiving $2500 in the beginning and I'm not sure how to ask if I'm getting the rest of that $1000 without seeming rude or money hungry.

"Professor ___,

Thank you very much for the scholarship award that was deposited into my account. I was told there will be an allotment of $2500 and was wondering when the remainder is available to deposit into my student account as well, since it unfortunately closes in 2.5 weeks. Please let me know if there's anything you need from me on my end.

Regards,

___"

And send.

In addition to the other suggestions here, might you request the remaining $1000 be sent to you directly as a check made out to you since your account closes soon due to timing? You know what they say, you don't get what you don't ask for, so it is worth a try. You might say something like it looks like a mistake was made in the amount, as they'll recall the amount for the internship was $2500, but only $1500 shows up in your account. I don't think it is rude or money hungry if you were promised a particular figure in exchange for your participation. That's business.

If they don't come through, feel free to give feedback to your institution so future students don't encounter the same bait and switch.

I have the email from the professor from a couple of months ago stating that the interns would be receiving $2500 in total. The money is from funds given by an association so I don't know why I wouldn't be receiving the total amount
What does your contract say?
In addition to the other suggestions here, might you request the remaining $1000 be sent to you directly as a check made out to you since your account closes soon due to timing? You know what they say, you don't get what you don't ask for, so it is worth a try. You might say something like it looks like a mistake was made in the amount, as they'll recall the amount for the internship was $2500, but only $1500 shows up in your account. I don't think it is rude or money hungry if you were promised a particular figure in exchange for your participation. That's business.

If they don't come through, feel free to give feedback to your institution so future students don't encounter the same bait and switch.

I want to add, be sure to thank them for the $1500 as well. Thank first, then ask about the remainder.

Archived