Interviewed on Wednesday, haven't heard from HR or Hiring Manager

wai

Hi guys,

I had an interview with Goldman Sachs last Wednesday. I met the recruiter from their HR department same day for coffee, he told me they move really quick once they like you. Like same day offer quick.

I met 5 people total, 4 rounds of interview. One session was with the hiring manager where i had to do coder-pad interview. They asked me about 6 algorithm questions all together but two of them i had to code in coder-pad. I did very well with the rest but failed to answered one coder-pad question which was conducted by hiring manager.

After the interview, I send the recruiter a quick email telling him how i did it. Overall, i think i did pretty ok. Other than the fact that I wasn't able to answer one question fully. He said he will send the hiring manager email and let me know. He didn't email or call me until the next day, so i followed up because Friday was bank holiday, and we are all off on that day. He said he's still hoping to hear something end of the day and let me know.

But I heard nothing. so it's Monday morning now, I texted the HR recruiter again saying that i had some free time over the weekend, so i thought of coding the question i couldn't answer, I would like to email that to the Hiring manager along with a thank you note. I don't have his email address, so I asked the recruiter if he could give it to me, if not it's fine. I told him i will send the email to him so that he could forward it to the hiring manager.

He told me to send it to him and he will forward it to the hiring manager. My application status is still under review online when i checked this morning. I'm just trying to find out, if they have decided not to move forward with my candidacy or what. I would be ok either way. but They are not telling me anything, so I'm staring to get anxious. I just want to get some closure even if it was a no.

Texting HR recruiter was a bad move. Being pushy really bothers HR department.

Have some patience.

Good luck.

First time when i texted, it was to ask if he wanted to catch up cuz he told me we will catch up after the interview. Second time was just to check in before long weekend. He seems to be cool with that.

He replied right away! But you guys are right! I shouldnt have texted him that day.

I stopped texting completely after i sent the email to him to forward.

But i think up to this point he didnt mind. We had a sit down and chat over the coffee, seems like a very cool guy.

I mean it hasn't even been two full business days since your round of interviews.

And, not to sound too harrowing, but skills tests during interviews are most often meant to serve as a more or less strict litmus and not an assessment for them to work with. They want to know then and there whether you can already do something so that they know whether it'd be, in their eyes, a waste of time for both you and them to proceed. Not that this is necessarily news to you as I'm sure it's why you were pushing so hard to get the explanation and thank you email to the hiring manager. It being GS, I'm sure they're attracting top tier talent and affording not to be as flexible with assessments as others.

Personally, I'd resign myself to most likely not getting it. The only time I've ever not been offered a job following an interview was when I did blow a single portion of a skills test. Then again, there was once where I did but was still given an offer, though I suspect the fact my boss wasn't shy about letting me know I looked "hot" on any given day may have played a role. I'd consider it an awesome surprise should you get a call to follow up some more.

Best of luck, though.

I mean it hasn't even been two full business days since your round of interviews.

And, not to sound too harrowing, but skills tests during interviews are most often meant to serve as a more or less strict litmus and not an assessment for them to work with. They want to know then and there whether you can already do something so that they know whether it'd be, in their eyes, a waste of time for both you and them to proceed. Not that this is necessarily news to you as I'm sure it's why you were pushing so hard to get the explanation and thank you email to the hiring manager. It being GS, I'm sure they're attracting top tier talent and affording not to be as flexible with assessments as others.

Personally, I'd resign myself to most likely not getting it. The only time I've ever not been offered a job following an interview was when I did blow a single portion of a skills test. Then again, there was once where I did but was still given an offer, though I suspect the fact my boss wasn't shy about letting me know I looked "hot" on any given day may have played a role. I'd consider it an awesome surprise should you get a call to follow up some more.

Best of luck, though.

I currently work at another Wallstreet firm. Eventhough im new at my current position, i have to participate in interview process. Meaning i've been on the other side of the table.

There are times where we will put out an offer weeks after the interview because we are still interviewing more people. Want to see if there is anyone better out there.

Also we've selected candidates that couldnt fully answer all the questions from skill test. I have to say i did better than 90% of the people that i have interviewed. The only thing unfortunate was that i failed to answer the hiring manager's question. Most likely thats the only thing that counts.

Last week was a holiday week. Many, many companies were running on a skeleton staff or not at all.

That means they had exactly 1 1/2 days to review applicants. No way is that enough.

Stop contacting them. You will end up turning them off.

Ok!! Oh man! Now i feel really bad for texting the guy.

Hi. This is normal. I usually give it a week and follow up with the recruitment agent only.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. Funny thing is, on the way back home from work today, I run into one of the interviewer. Goldman Sachs building is right across the street from where I work. I saw her, so I followed her and said hi. Her name was a little hard to pronounce, thank god I remember her name. I didn't ask her any thing regarding to the status of my interview though. Didn't want to make her uncomfortable. We spoke as we walk the way to subway station, She was surprised to see me, probably didn't know I work across the street. haha.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. Funny thing is, on the way back home from work today, I run into one of the interviewer. Goldman Sachs building is right across the street from where I work. I saw her, so I followed her and said hi. Her name was a little hard to pronounce, thank god I remember her name. I didn't ask her any thing regarding to the status of my interview though. Didn't want to make her uncomfortable. We spoke as we walk the way to subway station, She was surprised to see me, probably didn't know I work across the street. haha.

Well let's hope you didn't creep her out. Following her and saying hi right outside her office building may make her think you were waiting for her.

Well let's hope you didn't creep her out. Following her and saying hi right outside her office building may make her think you were waiting for her.

Jesus! Can you stop being so negaive for a second? She was in my work building, why would she think i was stalking her? I was right behind her on the escalator, so what's wrong with saying hi?

Jesus! Can you stop being so negaive for a second? She was in my work building, why would she think i was stalking her? I was right behind her on the escalator, so what's wrong with saying hi?

Well. If I interviewed someone and didn't know they worked in the same building and they found me, I would be a bit weirded out.

Well. If I interviewed someone and didn't know they worked in the same building and they found me, I would be a bit weirded out.

If that's the case, that's her problem. Not mine. It's not the same building, my work is across the street where there is a tunnle to subway. I told her i work in the building. Sometime ovethinking is really not necessary. We are all human being here. I wouldn't mind if someone i interviewed came and say hi if they see me. So it's about perception. Everyone is different.

That's fair. That's all fine. I was going off your description. You followed her and she didn't know you work close. You didn't mention in your initial post how the conversation went. I say these things because it's important to be self aware of your presence. Most people wouldn't text HR, so out of context I didn't know how you would handle an encounter like that. But from the initial description, it sounded like it could be perceived as a little strange. Your additional details clarify more.

That's fair. That's all fine. I was going off your description. You followed her and she didn't know you work close. You didn't mention in your initial post how the conversation went. I say these things because it's important to be self aware of your presence. Most people wouldn't text HR, so out of context I didn't know how you would handle an encounter like that. But from the initial description, it sounded like it could be perceived as a little strange. Your additional details clarify more.

Alright! we just had small talk. We both didn't bring up about the interview. One thing i learn being in this business, it's all about networking. Hard work is 50%, another 50% is who you know. So i learn to initiate conversation even if it's someone i met just once.

I texted th HR guy cuz i had his cellphone number. people rarely has time to pick up the phone and call. In this day of age, texting is just another form of emailing. A little less formal but i get texts trom recruiters all the time. I text my boss, co-workers. We are all pretty tech-savy these days. If it isn't somethig urgent, i just text them. When you email, you risk being ignored because obviously HR must get thousands of emails daily. Also because i met the guy, i get a sense that he was cool.

Hey there I work as a in house recruiter and we always have this issue. If I'm in charge of the position I will send updates to the candidates but the other recruiters don't always do this due to being busy, which is stressful for the candidates and we have lost a lot of candidates this way. Usually the issue is that the VPs and other interviewers are busy and don't have time to do a de-brief on the candidate together. Another reason is that we have offered the role to another candidate and are waiting to see if they accept before rejecting the other favourite candidates. Assume you are the former and wait it out. Good luck x

Hey there I work as a in house recruiter and we always have this issue. If I'm in charge of the position I will send updates to the candidates but the other recruiters don't always do this due to being busy, which is stressful for the candidates and we have lost a lot of candidates this way. Usually the issue is that the VPs and other interviewers are busy and don't have time to do a de-brief on the candidate together. Another reason is that we have offered the role to another candidate and are waiting to see if they accept before rejecting the other favourite candidates. Assume you are the former and wait it out. Good luck x

Wheww!! It's good to know. Yep i'm hoping for the best. do you advice i follow up again end of this week? Or wait until next week?

• 2 weeks later...

coming out of investment banking I would give you only one advice. The interview process is sometime just a focal point and the process itself tells a lot more about the individual than anything. You sound like a lot of millennials,

1. Anxious

2. You want to control the process when you are actually the center of it. Let go

3. Texting me would have triggered me so much, in this day and age a Text message pops up in my feed WAY more than an email or a voicemail that I CHOOSE to log into when I have the time

4. Know the difference between following up on an offer and driving the recruitment process ''your way''

my 2 cents

LOL it took my current company THREE MONTHS to confirm that my transfer had been approved. I had given up at that point. This same company had me attend a hiring event in March, but I didn't actually start working there until August.

Anyway, OP, have you heard back?

• 2 weeks later...

I work in HR and I will say this, one - you don't want to bug us too much. I would love to give every candidate an answer when they call and follow up on their interview, but sometimes the hiring managers take longer than expected and don't make decisions in a timely manner. It can become frustrating to the HR person when people call several times and you don't have an answer for them. Second, if they normally give offers out fairly fast, there's a good chance that one was given to another candidate and they are waiting to see if all works out before giving you an answer. You may be their second candidate pick. Give them a week THEN contact them.

Archived