LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Moving with family briefly. Might become an abusive situation

Bronze Member

Moving with family briefly. Might become an abusive situation

So due to some difficulties with money and bad timing with losing my lease on my current apartment. This means moving into my mom's place briefly until I get back on my feet and find my own place.

Problem is - and my mom felt this was on the 'need to know' - my brother is also staying with her as well. This is kind of a problem considering this sibling has felt antagonized by me ever since he was young and hasn't let a lot go. This has lead to him being angry when I'm around, careless when we have to share space (eg. he'll steal and violate my property because he feels entitled to it) and even violent when he doesn't get his way. He's even been known to use steriods and, some time ago (like a LONG time ago 10 years) had beaten me in a roid fit. I wasn't hospitalized but what resulted afterwards was support for him from the rest of the family (except mom) and some gaslighting on the part of my father and himself to make it seem like it didn't happen. This has lead me to mistrust him immensely and at this point he knows this.

Now at this time he knows I'm moving in. I'll be in a situation where I'm going to be sleeping in the basement (which happens to be an extension of the laundry room) and out in the open. This means little privacy and open vulnerability to come what may. My mother doesn't know how he feels about it and I'm not bothering to ask him. Last time I approached him after my 'well deserved' beating to talk about what happened, he told me to go f myself and the beating was justified. He showed no remorse and took what he did as a point of pride. I would find another recourse for a living arrangement but I need to be out very soon and I need time to find another place (now that I have a job).

What should I do? What can I do to make sure I'm protected? Is there something I should be considering here?

Can you not move in with a friend til you sort yourself out? There must be a better option than moving into a hostile environment.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by melancholy123
    Can you not move in with a friend til you sort yourself out? There must be a better option than moving into a hostile environment.
    Not at the moment. My close friends would but none of them live in the city. It's basically only my family at this point.

I'd contact my human services department and stay at a local shelter or camp ground until I could find a room in a boarding house to save enough for a deposit on a small apartment. If worse came to worse, I'd hang sheets from clotheslines in the basement to create a privacy nook, store my valuables in public storage, and go there only to sleep and shower while the remainder of my time is spent working and seeking another living situation.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice