Family planning, what permanent contraceptive method did you have?

thornz

Ok so as per title, what permanent contraceptive (sterilisation) technique have you had. Was it successful, what were the side effects, would you recommend it?

I currently have the copper IUD as all the hormonal methods caused me severe health complications and I am considering getting sterilised to replace this method. The IUD is likely due to run out soon but have been unable to contact anybody to determine when exactly this is for over a week now. I only had the IUD fitted as I suspected I would be denied sterilisation at 25. Now I'm 30 I imagine I could get it. The side effects of the supposedly side effect free IUD have been less than desirable and I only had it fitted as a temporary measure.

Just wanted feedback from women who've had it done to see if it's got any adverse issues I need to be aware of, since I was told my current contraceptive was side effect free apart from perhaps heavy bleeding and more pain.

Disclaimer: I don't want a baby, now or ever for a number of very good reasons for those of you who might ask. It's not negotiable so not really interested in discussing that.

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to warn you about what happened to my friend. She got something called Essure for permanent birth control, and her experience with it was absolutely awful. She had to quit working, needed a hysterectomy and her health still hasn't recovered even though it's been several years.

I have a copper IUD for the same reasons you do. I got it when I was 27. I was told they are effective for 12 years. I have more bleeding and stronger cramps but it has been worth it to me. Now that I'm 32 I assume I could get my tubes tied. But I don't have health insurance so I'm not in any rush. Who told you that the copper IUD was side effect free? Maybe find a more informed health care provider and talk about your options.

I know you don't want to discuss it. But i didn't want kids at 25, nor 30. At 35 all that changed completely after meeting the right guy. I am not trying to convince you otherwise, but just sayin

I think the only truly effective permanent sterilization method is to get your tubes tied and a hysterectomy.

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to warn you about what happened to my friend. She got something called Essure for permanent birth control, and her experience with it was absolutely awful. She had to quit working, needed a hysterectomy and her health still hasn't recovered even though it's been several years.

I think Essure is one of two methods available on the NHS and the initial overview sounded very promising but reading further a very high percentage of women who had it required further corrective work due to pain!

When I looked into sterilisation previously, before I decided on the IUD the other method of clipping the tubes had lots of potential complications and horror stories of clips coming off the fallopian tubes and floating around the abdomen causing agony.

I also have the copper IUD. Like rosephase, I was also told they last for 12 years. I think they may actually "last" longer, but that is when they like to take them out (gruesome thought). For me, that will be seven years from now so I should be well on my way towards menopause.

It did change the intensity of my cycle, but that is the only side effect. Overall, I really like it. I don't like the idea of pumping my body full of hormones (in this country, we get enough of that from the meat!!).

By the way, I am 40 and less interested than ever in having children.

I have a copper IUD for the same reasons you do. I got it when I was 27. I was told they are effective for 12 years. I have more bleeding and stronger cramps but it has been worth it to me. Now that I'm 32 I assume I could get my tubes tied. But I don't have health insurance so I'm not in any rush. Who told you that the copper IUD was side effect free? Maybe find a more informed health care provider and talk about your options.

You might want to check up on that. The copper IUD is now only effective for 5 years, I'm assuming either because the failure rate went up after 5 years or they originally had more copper which created too many side effects (I have copper poisoning symptoms).

The first doctor I went to was an absolute d*ck and tried talking me out of the copper coil and into hormonal contraceptives even though I told her every one I've tried has exacerbated my physical and/or mental health problems and that they don't fit the coil to women who haven't had children. I refused point blank to accept any other contraceptive method. She booked me in for fitting then botched it up and told me she couldn't fit it.

Went to my local family planning after that and told them my experience and they were very good and supportive of my right to make the best choices for my body and I had it fitted there.

I was told there will be no hormonal side effects but the fitting of the coil could cause heavy bleeding, additional discomfort or lighten and reduce them, increased potential for ectopic pregnancy and perforation of my womb or expulsion of the coil.

Maybe you're thinking of the Mirena?

]

Well they definitely said it will last 5 years so either I've been misinformed or the copper coil has been changed. I read online studies show that last over 20 yrs. I remember being disappointed that it only lasted 5 years when previously it was recommended for ten. Hope they haven't fitted the wrong one! Given my very heavy bleeding and terrible cramps I can't imagine they have as the Mirena is supposed to improve that.

I have had a lot more side effects with this IUD than I was warned about so that is why I'm researching permanent methods.

I know you don't want to discuss it. But i didn't want kids at 25, nor 30. At 35 all that changed completely after meeting the right guy. I am not trying to convince you otherwise, but just sayin

I think the only truly effective permanent sterilization method is to get your tubes tied and a hysterectomy.

I am open to kids, just not babies. The right guy for me will feel the same.

There is family history of a need for hysterectomy for all the women on my mother's side so I'm going to be careful what I wish for lol.

I think Essure is one of two methods available on the NHS and the initial overview sounded very promising but reading further a very high percentage of women who had it required further corrective work due to pain!

When I looked into sterilisation previously, before I decided on the IUD the other method of clipping the tubes had lots of potential complications and horror stories of clips coming off the fallopian tubes and floating around the abdomen causing agony.

I have the Essure coils and have had no problems. They have been in place for nearly 8 years now.

I've got the Mirena. I needed the extra hormones. When I got it (2014) I was told that it lasts for 5 years, and the copper one lasted for 12. I'd double check with your gyno to make sure it's not an option to just keep being on an IUD.

I'm gonna point another poster to this thread to help you. Her name is Fudgie.

I have the Essure coils and have had no problems. They have been in place for nearly 8 years now.

Oh I thought Essure was the titanium implants. I still haven't be able to get hold of the clinic to verify when it runs out, apparently nobody there answers the frikken phone 😡

I've got the Mirena. I needed the extra hormones. When I got it (2014) I was told that it lasts for 5 years, and the copper one lasted for 12. I'd double check with your gyno to make sure it's not an option to just keep being on an IUD.

I'm gonna point another poster to this thread to help you. Her name is Fudgie.

Thanks. Been trying to get hold of someone who can answer my questions for over a week. Useless!

^ That's what I was thinking too... Fudgie could help.

Sorry OP, I think I misread your question originally.

I find that crap sex is a side effect of using condoms lol. Plus they are designed for sexual health not contraception. Some studies show that the withdrawal method is more effective with condoms only being 80% effective. I don't like those odds lol

Thornz,

I was sterilized a year ago at 26 and I had a tubal done. I've had more extensive abdominal surgery and this was a walk in the park compared to that. If you don't mind the bit of down time, a little scar, and anesthesia, go for it. As with any surgery, there are risks.

I've heard good and bad things about Essure. My gyno places them a lot. It seems that allergic reactions to the nickel that is in Essure can cause a lot of pain and problems. Also, sometimes the coils can migrate but I am not sure if this has to do with the device itself or just poor doctor placement. I've heard that some doctors go in blind, without use of an ultrasound.. No way. If you are sensitive to any sort of metal, I would not go with Essure but that is just me. Also, make sure that the doctor has placed many before you get one and is very thorough on placement verification.

I used have Mirena before all of this and it fell out of me after a year or so but until then, i liked it.

I can point you to some reading or additional resources if you ask. I happen to know a lot about this stuff and know where to find information.

I don't blame you for not trusting condoms. They can break!

Isn't nickel a heavy metal (toxic)? Yikes.

It's not really toxic in how it is used in Essure. Essure contains small amounts of nickel and titanium in the coils. The reason why is because the purpose of the device is to 1) block the fallopian tubes and 2) promote scar tissue growth to block the tubes. Essure inserts themselves are not enough for blocking, your body needs to make scar tissue to make you fully sterile. Nickel is one of the components that helps promote the scar tissue.

That said, it's not a wonder, at least to me and some others, that some women may be more sensitive to this metal and this reaction and have suffered a lot of pain from it.

If you look at the majority of Essure patients, they do just fine. But there are people who have had problems.

Me, I didn't want to take that risk and I was okay undergoing another surgery. I also had my tubes cut and burned, I did not have the clips.

Archived