Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Family planning, what permanent contraceptive method did you have?

Thornz,

I was sterilized a year ago at 26 and I had a tubal done. I've had more extensive abdominal surgery and this was a walk in the park compared to that. If you don't mind the bit of down time, a little scar, and anesthesia, go for it. As with any surgery, there are risks.

I've heard good and bad things about Essure. My gyno places them a lot. It seems that allergic reactions to the nickel that is in Essure can cause a lot of pain and problems. Also, sometimes the coils can migrate but I am not sure if this has to do with the device itself or just poor doctor placement. I've heard that some doctors go in blind, without use of an ultrasound.. No way. If you are sensitive to any sort of metal, I would not go with Essure but that is just me. Also, make sure that the doctor has placed many before you get one and is very thorough on placement verification.

I used have Mirena before all of this and it fell out of me after a year or so but until then, i liked it.

I can point you to some reading or additional resources if you ask. I happen to know a lot about this stuff and know where to find information.

I don't blame you for not trusting condoms. They can break!

Originally Posted by Fudgie
    It seems that allergic reactions to the nickel that is in Essure can cause a lot of pain and problems.
    Isn't nickel a heavy metal (toxic)? Yikes.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Isn't nickel a heavy metal (toxic)? Yikes.
    It's not really toxic in how it is used in Essure. Essure contains small amounts of nickel and titanium in the coils. The reason why is because the purpose of the device is to 1) block the fallopian tubes and 2) promote scar tissue growth to block the tubes. Essure inserts themselves are not enough for blocking, your body needs to make scar tissue to make you fully sterile. Nickel is one of the components that helps promote the scar tissue.

That said, it's not a wonder, at least to me and some others, that some women may be more sensitive to this metal and this reaction and have suffered a lot of pain from it.

If you look at the majority of Essure patients, they do just fine. But there are people who have had problems.

Me, I didn't want to take that risk and I was okay undergoing another surgery. I also had my tubes cut and burned, I did not have the clips.

That said, it's not a wonder, at least to me and some others, that some women may be more sensitive to this metal and this reaction and have suffered a lot of pain from it.
    Yes, I'll bet. An "acceptable" percentage perhaps.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Yes, I'll bet. An "acceptable" percentage perhaps.
    FDA here in the US has taken notice and has issued a "black box warning" on Essure and they are reviewing some clinical studies, apparently.

The migration risk worries me.

Originally Posted by thornz
    I find that crap sex is a side effect of using condoms lol. Plus they are designed for sexual health not contraception. Some studies show that the withdrawal method is more effective with condoms only being 80% effective. I don't like those odds lol
    I understand. It's always a weighing of pros and cons. Personally, I'm ok with the odds with condoms - and it doesn't impair having a good time for us. The cons of implants or pills are too heavy for me and so off the table. And I don't want sterilization, so condoms is the best for us. It's imperfect but unless I go the celibacy route ( not going to), it's the best choice for me.

Let us know how your choice goes?!

Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    I understand. It's always a weighing of pros and cons. Personally, I'm ok with the odds with condoms - and it doesn't impair having a good time for us. The cons of implants or pills are too heavy for me and so off the table. And I don't want sterilization, so condoms is the best for us. It's imperfect but unless I go the celibacy route ( not going to), it's the best choice for me.

That is a good point, it's all about weighing the risks (and that is subjective, it's about what you're comfortable with, which is different for every person) and the pros and cons.

There are other "barrier" methods besides condoms that are effective, especially if you double up. If you can find a spermicide that is safe to use with condoms and doesn't irritate you, try it. There are also diaphragms and cervical caps. I haven't used one for sex but I have used similar devices for menstrual hygiene. Bit of a learning curve but they can work very well if you are comfortable with using them.

This is a small aside, thornz, but speaking personally, pregnancy anxiety has given me a lot of grief. Waking up after sterilization was like a weight had been lifted. I know that some people are not comfortable with that door being closed, and I understand that, but for me, it was a wonderful feeling. I feel more free during sex.

It is a serious decision and I urge people to give it a long time for thought. Once you give up your fertility, it's very difficult, sometimes impossible, to get back.

I hope you can find a method that works for you that is effective and makes you comfortable, whatever that is.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand

I want the option that combines longevity with lowest failure rate with minimal side effects. The coil I have fitted has the lowest failure rate of all contraceptives, however it does have some additional side effects for me that were not mentioned. If I were to mention this to family planning I imagine they would deny that the issues are caused by my coil. Sterilisation would be the next best option if it has no side effects but it appears that it might have some potentially severe consequences.

Gold Member
    That is a good point, it's all about weighing the risks (and that is subjective, it's about what you're comfortable with, which is different for every person) and the pros and cons.

There are other "barrier" methods besides condoms that are effective, especially if you double up. If you can find a spermicide that is safe to use with condoms and doesn't irritate you, try it. There are also diaphragms and cervical caps. I haven't used one for sex but I have used similar devices for menstrual hygiene. Bit of a learning curve but they can work very well if you are comfortable with using them.

This is a small aside, thornz, but speaking personally, pregnancy anxiety has given me a lot of grief. Waking up after sterilization was like a weight had been lifted. I know that some people are not comfortable with that door being closed, and I understand that, but for me, it was a wonderful feeling. I feel more free during sex.

It is a serious decision and I urge people to give it a long time for thought. Once you give up your fertility, it's very difficult, sometimes impossible, to get back.

I hope you can find a method that works for you that is effective and makes you comfortable, whatever that is.
    Thanks for your input Fudgie.

I felt the same as you after having my coil fitted, total relief that I'm using the most effective contraception that won't negatively impact my health (or so I thought). I'm happy to deal with the side effects for now until I find a better solution if there is one. If I get married my husband may be open to vasectomy which might have less side effects?

The stress I felt before from the potential unwanted pregnancy affected my health. Now at least it isn't an ever present concern and when I take pregnancy tests just to make sure, I'm not wondering if they will come back positive. If that did ever happen at least I would have a clear conscience that I did all I could to prevent it.

I'm very comfortable with not getting my fertility back for childbearing reasons but I do wonder if I will feel less womanly being sterile? Do you feel any different in this respect?

Unfortunately we don't get to pick and choose our doctor on the NHS, you get what you're given!

I have been meaning to talk to my partner about this as obviously if we are to stay together it will affect him too. He might consider male sterilisation?

I haven't taken a pregnancy test (other than what is required at a doctor's office) since my sterilization. I've had late periods and before, I'd fret but now I just shrug my shoulders.

How does your boyfriend feel about a vasectomy? Yes, it's quicker and less side effects and it's way more likely a doctor will say yes to that. Is he committed to having no children in his own life? If so, ask him.

My boyfriend takes the viewpoint of "my future wife will decide on kids". He's very hands off. So if that is his viewpoint and I'm firmly in the "no kids" camp, well, it feels better that I am the one sterilized, not him, since his choice is dependent on the woman and my choice is dependent on no one.

I do not feel less womanly since being sterilized, no. I feel more relaxed but not less womanly. However, due to social stigma, very few people know I'm sterilized. I don't want to be told I'm less womanly for my choice.

As a result, only ENA, my gyno surgeon (the one who did it), his nurse, and my boyfriend know that I'm sterilized. My family has no idea and my friends don't really either. My family knows I don't want kids but my boyfriend's family, I just smile and say "maybe" because they are kind of dumb and can't take the truth.

If you had it done, would you be open about it? Wish there weren't a stigma, that's all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice