Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Family planning, what permanent contraceptive method did you have?

Gold Member
    [QUOTE=Jibralta;6792909]Maybe you're thinking of the Mirena?

]

Well they definitely said it will last 5 years so either I've been misinformed or the copper coil has been changed. I read online studies show that last over 20 yrs. I remember being disappointed that it only lasted 5 years when previously it was recommended for ten. Hope they haven't fitted the wrong one! Given my very heavy bleeding and terrible cramps I can't imagine they have as the Mirena is supposed to improve that.

I have had a lot more side effects with this IUD than I was warned about so that is why I'm researching permanent methods.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    I know you don't want to discuss it. But i didn't want kids at 25, nor 30. At 35 all that changed completely after meeting the right guy. I am not trying to convince you otherwise, but just sayin

I think the only truly effective permanent sterilization method is to get your tubes tied and a hysterectomy.
    I am open to kids, just not babies. The right guy for me will feel the same.

There is family history of a need for hysterectomy for all the women on my mother's side so I'm going to be careful what I wish for lol.

Platinum Member
    May not be the best answer for the question posted. Sorry.

Originally Posted by thornz
    I think Essure is one of two methods available on the NHS and the initial overview sounded very promising but reading further a very high percentage of women who had it required further corrective work due to pain!

When I looked into sterilisation previously, before I decided on the IUD the other method of clipping the tubes had lots of potential complications and horror stories of clips coming off the fallopian tubes and floating around the abdomen causing agony.
    I have the Essure coils and have had no problems. They have been in place for nearly 8 years now.

Condoms. No side effects for me.

I've got the Mirena. I needed the extra hormones. When I got it (2014) I was told that it lasts for 5 years, and the copper one lasted for 12. I'd double check with your gyno to make sure it's not an option to just keep being on an IUD.

I'm gonna point another poster to this thread to help you. Her name is Fudgie.

^ That's what I was thinking too... Fudgie could help.

Sorry OP, I think I misread your question originally.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by Liraele
    I have the Essure coils and have had no problems. They have been in place for nearly 8 years now.
    Oh I thought Essure was the titanium implants. I still haven't be able to get hold of the clinic to verify when it runs out, apparently nobody there answers the frikken phone 😡

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by WithLove
    I've got the Mirena. I needed the extra hormones. When I got it (2014) I was told that it lasts for 5 years, and the copper one lasted for 12. I'd double check with your gyno to make sure it's not an option to just keep being on an IUD.

I'm gonna point another poster to this thread to help you. Her name is Fudgie.
    Thanks. Been trying to get hold of someone who can answer my questions for over a week. Useless!

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    ^ That's what I was thinking too... Fudgie could help.

Sorry OP, I think I misread your question originally.
    I find that crap sex is a side effect of using condoms lol. Plus they are designed for sexual health not contraception. Some studies show that the withdrawal method is more effective with condoms only being 80% effective. I don't like those odds lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice