Selfish to want to spend wedding anniversary just together?

Seraphim

NO! You are not selfish, they can wait for another time. Your mother can do her taxes with you next week, and your in laws can see you another weekend. An anniversary is a time to be romantic and passionate in your relationship, not entertaining others, and certainly not trying to be romantic with a mother-in-law in the other room.

I don't think that you are being remotely selfish. Also, if you should be considering anyone else on your anniversary, it only makes sense to me that this should be your partner.

Did something lead you to think this might be perceived as selfish, or are you trying to preempt any strife?

Happy anniversary to you both! Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy your day.

It has been a 23 year battle with my inlaws. Our families live 3 1/2 hours away so it becomes a weekend event . Plus my inlaws are in their 80's. My parents are in their 70s so that's another weekend event too.

My husband caves to his parents and always has and does more so now his dad is ill and old.

Perhaps you might plan to get away for the day, then, just to ensure that no one else's agenda derails your desire to simply be alone with and celebrate each other?

You two have every right to make your anniversary about the two of you. Don't let others impose guilt on you - you two deserve to focus on each other!

I would love even a weekend. Our son came with us on our 20th anniversary. It is so difficult because he won't stay with anyone but my mother . And my mother can't stay at my house because she is deathly allergic to cats and I have three . So we would have to drive him 3 1/2 hours to my mother's.

I don't get making wedding anniversaries family get togethers. A friend of mine had her family show up to her and her hubbys dinner out for their anniversary and I was 'whaaaa?'. Very strange, as I tend to think unless invited.. That's for a couple to spend alone together however they see as romantic/ connecting.

Of course you aren't selfish

I don't get making wedding anniversaries family get togethers. A friend of mine had her family show up to her and her hubbys dinner out for their anniversary and I was 'whaaaa?'. Very strange, as I tend to think unless invited.. That's for a couple to spend alone together however they see as romantic/ connecting.

Of course you aren't selfish

Yeah ,I don't get the whole family get-together thing for a wedding anniversary either . But that is what his family does .

"Sorry, busy that day. Husband and I have anniversary plans. How about Sunday, instead?"

Hahah our anniversary IS Sunday this year and the last day to turn in taxes . And we would be having them into the work week or they wouldn't be able to come at all because their daughter wouldn't be able to drive them up .

I just wish my husband could say no .

Archived