Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Job Search is Causing Depression

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6

    Job Search is Causing Depression

    I moved to another state at the beginning of January this year, and I have been searching for a job in my new location ever since. Every day, I apply for numerous jobs and painstakingly tailor my cover letter for each company and position. Every email that I get in return almost says the same thing: "Unfortunately, you are not the right fit for this position at this time." When I open these emails, I feel so hopeless and even worse about myself. I have received so many of these. I've also attended around 5 interviews, and have had no luck. I always dress professionally and I always prepare myself the night before an interview by reading through common interview questions, and how to respond to them. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree about two years ago and I'm in a ton of student loan debt that's stressing me out. I also have several years of experience under my belt. I feel like I have completely wasted five years of my life by going to school, especially when I cannot seem to find work. The interest rates on my loans are high and I feel like the debt is piling up uncontrollably even though I make payments every month. I'm getting to a point where I'm starting to feel hopeless, completely worthless, and even sometimes suicidal. Has anyone here gone through a similar situation? What should I do to turn things around? Are there any resources out there that might help someone like me find a job? Even the temp agency here in town isn't helping and I'm not sure what to do =/

  2. #2
    Platinum Member gebaird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    An island of peace in an ocean of chaos
    Posts
    1,849
    Gender
    Male
    I'm sorry you are so frustrated. Keep in mind that it can take time to establish yourself in a new area, even with a college degree and years of experience. Many people hire through personal networks, and I'm guessing you don't have a lot of connections where you are. Is there any way you could pick up some part-time work while you continue to search for a job? Having something to do could help you immensely, even if you're just working at a restaurant. Your desperation and fear can probably be felt by prospective employers. Trust that things will work out. I used to fear failure until I lived through it; now I'm not afraid anymore. A job search is simply a numbers game. You're doing the right things, you just need to give it time.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    39,183
    Gender
    Male
    Why did you move if not for a new job?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Why did you move if not for a new job?
    My husband and I moved because he found a much better job than the one he had where we were previously living.

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    10,842
    Gender
    Female
    Have you tried working with your school's career office? They can give you better feedback on your resume and what's going wrong there. Companies that are willing to hire young graduates with limited to no experience are also going to campuses to interview and not on general job boards. That should be your best resource even if you are 2 years out.

    When you are getting responses that you are getting, it generally means that your resume was very professional and got attention, however, your actual skills/experience level doesn't match the position's requirements. Employers don't hire degrees, they hire skills. Even for temp work, if your typing speed isn't up to par, you won't get so much as a secretarial temp job.

    You also might want to go to some mock interviews that colleges hold. You will go through an actual interview with an actual HR person or recruiter and then you will get real live feedback on what's happening with you during the interview - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Be prepared for solid constructive criticism and take notes.

  7. #6
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where the streets have no name.
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,895
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by NuclearPumpkin
    I moved to another state at the beginning of January this year, and I have been searching for a job in my new location ever since. Every day, I apply for numerous jobs and painstakingly tailor my cover letter for each company and position. Every email that I get in return almost says the same thing: "Unfortunately, you are not the right fit for this position at this time." When I open these emails, I feel so hopeless and even worse about myself. I have received so many of these. I've also attended around 5 interviews, and have had no luck. I always dress professionally and I always prepare myself the night before an interview by reading through common interview questions, and how to respond to them. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree about two years ago and I'm in a ton of student loan debt that's stressing me out. I also have several years of experience under my belt. I feel like I have completely wasted five years of my life by going to school, especially when I cannot seem to find work. The interest rates on my loans are high and I feel like the debt is piling up uncontrollably even though I make payments every month. I'm getting to a point where I'm starting to feel hopeless, completely worthless, and even sometimes suicidal. Has anyone here gone through a similar situation? What should I do to turn things around? Are there any resources out there that might help someone like me find a job? Even the temp agency here in town isn't helping and I'm not sure what to do =/
    You need to get a job, ANY job. If that means going to the grocery store or coffee shop around the corner then do it. It will get you out of the house and help you stay positive in any customer service type of position.

  8. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,539
    What about a head hunter? They will at least get you working. That's there job. I did it once got me thru 8 months. Actually learned alot. Just be aware there's alot of contract work thru them.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6
    Originally Posted by Matt3939
    What about a head hunter? They will at least get you working. That's there job. I did it once got me thru 8 months. Actually learned alot. Just be aware there's alot of contract work thru them.
    I haven't heard of a head hunter before! Thankso for the suggestion

  10. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51,694
    Go to professional networking events and social events where you can meet people. For my last job search, which ended last fall, I got most of my interviews through personal connections. Ironically I got my current job through a generic email list that I received weekly and just happened to check, very random. However, my personal connections helped me prep for the interview and with some inside info kind of things. I moved to this area 7 years ago knowing no one but shortly after I got here I started building up my professional network (I was a full time mom for over 7 years). That helped tremendously when I started looking.

  11. #10
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    39,183
    Gender
    Male
    Is he pressuring you? If you have a temp job and are interviewing, that's great. Get on LinkedIn and join alumni and professional organisations. Upload your contact list and see who is on there.
    Originally Posted by NuclearPumpkin
    My husband and I moved because he found a much better job than the one he had where we were previously living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos


Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men

Why Young People Don't Rush To Marry? They Fear Divorce

Why People Lie On Online Dating Services?

Relationships During Quarantine

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •