Job Search is Causing Depression

I moved to another state at the beginning of January this year, and I have been searching for a job in my new location ever since. Every day, I apply for numerous jobs and painstakingly tailor my cover letter for each company and position. Every email that I get in return almost says the same thing: "Unfortunately, you are not the right fit for this position at this time." When I open these emails, I feel so hopeless and even worse about myself. I have received so many of these. I've also attended around 5 interviews, and have had no luck. I always dress professionally and I always prepare myself the night before an interview by reading through common interview questions, and how to respond to them. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree about two years ago and I'm in a ton of student loan debt that's stressing me out. I also have several years of experience under my belt. I feel like I have completely wasted five years of my life by going to school, especially when I cannot seem to find work. The interest rates on my loans are high and I feel like the debt is piling up uncontrollably even though I make payments every month. I'm getting to a point where I'm starting to feel hopeless, completely worthless, and even sometimes suicidal. Has anyone here gone through a similar situation? What should I do to turn things around? Are there any resources out there that might help someone like me find a job? Even the temp agency here in town isn't helping and I'm not sure what to do =/

I'm sorry you are so frustrated. Keep in mind that it can take time to establish yourself in a new area, even with a college degree and years of experience. Many people hire through personal networks, and I'm guessing you don't have a lot of connections where you are. Is there any way you could pick up some part-time work while you continue to search for a job? Having something to do could help you immensely, even if you're just working at a restaurant. Your desperation and fear can probably be felt by prospective employers. Trust that things will work out. I used to fear failure until I lived through it; now I'm not afraid anymore. A job search is simply a numbers game. You're doing the right things, you just need to give it time.

Have you tried working with your school's career office? They can give you better feedback on your resume and what's going wrong there. Companies that are willing to hire young graduates with limited to no experience are also going to campuses to interview and not on general job boards. That should be your best resource even if you are 2 years out.

When you are getting responses that you are getting, it generally means that your resume was very professional and got attention, however, your actual skills/experience level doesn't match the position's requirements. Employers don't hire degrees, they hire skills. Even for temp work, if your typing speed isn't up to par, you won't get so much as a secretarial temp job.

You also might want to go to some mock interviews that colleges hold. You will go through an actual interview with an actual HR person or recruiter and then you will get real live feedback on what's happening with you during the interview - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Be prepared for solid constructive criticism and take notes.

I moved to another state at the beginning of January this year, and I have been searching for a job in my new location ever since. Every day, I apply for numerous jobs and painstakingly tailor my cover letter for each company and position. Every email that I get in return almost says the same thing: "Unfortunately, you are not the right fit for this position at this time." When I open these emails, I feel so hopeless and even worse about myself. I have received so many of these. I've also attended around 5 interviews, and have had no luck. I always dress professionally and I always prepare myself the night before an interview by reading through common interview questions, and how to respond to them. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree about two years ago and I'm in a ton of student loan debt that's stressing me out. I also have several years of experience under my belt. I feel like I have completely wasted five years of my life by going to school, especially when I cannot seem to find work. The interest rates on my loans are high and I feel like the debt is piling up uncontrollably even though I make payments every month. I'm getting to a point where I'm starting to feel hopeless, completely worthless, and even sometimes suicidal. Has anyone here gone through a similar situation? What should I do to turn things around? Are there any resources out there that might help someone like me find a job? Even the temp agency here in town isn't helping and I'm not sure what to do =/

You need to get a job, ANY job. If that means going to the grocery store or coffee shop around the corner then do it. It will get you out of the house and help you stay positive in any customer service type of position.

Go to professional networking events and social events where you can meet people. For my last job search, which ended last fall, I got most of my interviews through personal connections. Ironically I got my current job through a generic email list that I received weekly and just happened to check, very random. However, my personal connections helped me prep for the interview and with some inside info kind of things. I moved to this area 7 years ago knowing no one but shortly after I got here I started building up my professional network (I was a full time mom for over 7 years). That helped tremendously when I started looking.

Is he pressuring you? If you have a temp job and are interviewing, that's great. Get on LinkedIn and join alumni and professional organisations. Upload your contact list and see who is on there.

My husband and I moved because he found a much better job than the one he had where we were previously living.

Hang in there and keep at it. It's actually quite difficult to keep spirits up during job searching, and I agree that getting anything in the meantime will help. The problem with job searching is that sometimes it's during unemployment with way too much time on our hands. That means more thinking time, which can be bad. If you have structure and purpose during the job searching phase you can mitigate the risk of getting down and despondent.

Some tips if you're not already doing it:

1. Get your CV looked at by someone in the industry. Often you can find fairly inexpensive CV writing services which will give your CV a revamp. Speak to your friends about CV formats that have worked for them - reasearch on line and learn how to make an awesome CV which makes your value stand out.

2. Think about your application strategy. Are you seeing the full breadth of jobs available? I ask this because you can't assume that one trusty search engine is going to capture everything. Typically I rely on and scan at least 3 search engines.

3. LinkedIn profile as Wiseman has suggested. In today's market this is a MUST. Match this up with your CV and take time to add more detail such as your projects. Reach out to those you have worked with who may give you a LinkedIn reference. Update your skills and endorse your contacts for their skills. Getting endorsements is important because some employers search on LinkedIn against listed skills. Spend as much time on your LinkedIn profile as your CV.

4. gebaird is right - remember it's a numbers game. Your application may be one of a huge number, and often the law of averages will sort you out eventually, but you need to hang on.

5. Recruiters at any point of time will be working on placing a set number of individuals who are sort of in their 'working stack'. Once these people get placed in jobs, new people will replace them. It may take time for your CV to become one of those to get increased focus and publicity within their recruitment company - but you have to stay active.

6. Meet up with recruitment consultants for coffee to represent yourself and make a good impression. It's easy to do, and recruiters will welcome it. It will separate you from the rest, and you can build up a more personal relationship with that recruiter which could serve you well for the long term.

Good luck!

That area should have a local state office that places the public into jobs. I would check into that if I was you. This place is usually connected to Unemployment Compensation and it's where people who received unemployed have to go for job search assistance.

Archived