I suddenly have no energy to do anything after work hours

Hi

For the past month or two (starting around mid February) I've noticed myself becoming very unmotivated and lazy. For example, I used to go to the gym after work 3 times a week, which dropped to two times, and now I haven't gone at all for about a week. After gym, I would make myself a cup of tea and relax before starting work on my side project, which I work on during the evenings/ night.

That too, has changed, as I can't even be bothered to make a cup of tea. I skip gym, just take a shower and sit on my laptop. But instead of spending that time on my side project, I end up browsing the web ("researching" stuff related to my project), watching videos, and do some chores (cooking, shopping etc) I would rush out of office at 6, and even a single minute wasted would irritate me, but now I don't mind loitering around for a couple of minutes before leaving.

For a bit of background, I'm 25, and my day job is working in an architecture firm. It's been one year working there, and it is not a career I care very much about. That's not a problem, as I took the job to pay the bills while I got my side project off the ground - which is developing a video game. In my adult years, I've been a highly self disciplined and motivated person, always filling my hours with productive work and never lazing around - which is why my current situation is so confusing to me.

I'm very miserly with my time and I protect it fiercely. But recently I don't mind chores and people eating away chunks of my time. I used to feel sad on Sunday evenings as the weekend of working on my project would come to an end, but now I don't feel anything about it. It's like "meh, whatever." And even when I do sit with my work, I prefer to spend time writing out ideas and reading about related things, rather than doing any actual work. The work that I was supposed to have finished in 3 hours has taken me about 3 weeks and it's still not done. I'm moving at a snail's pace.

When it started around February I felt agitation - I ranted for a couple of days to my flatmate about how tired I was and I didn't wanna do stuff like cleaning dishes, cook, or anything at all. I skipped dinner one of those days because sleeping was so much easier to do instead. Then I got a hold of myself over the next few days but I've noticed that the problem hasn't really gone away.

Apart from skipping gym and tea, I spend more time playing video games, browsing the internet and talking with my flatmate. In office I have trouble concentrating on work for long and get distracted easily.

I leave my job in June to work full time on my project. I'm still as excited as I was in the beginning about doing that, and I think I'll be back to my self motivated best when that happens (with no office to drain me of energy, and being able to work on something I care about instead) but I don't want to spend April and May lazing around making no progress on the project.

Does all this sound like I have a problem that I don't know of? Is it just working in a job that I don't like catching up with me? Or is this a common thing, (I wouldn't know since I've only had a job for the past 1 year) that everyone feels drained out after their day job? (which would explain why many adults spend their free time doing chores, watching TV, and zoning out or just relaxing)

Thanks!

Here is what I would do as an initial change - two changes. First, force yourself to work out again as you were -and if you don't go to the gym do a brisk walk for at least 30 minutes outside on the day you don't go to the gym. Exercise is energizing so yes, it's not ok to be lazy about that. Second, at least double the amount of water you drink in a day (so that you're drinking 8-10) and cut out any kinds of soda or drinks with sugar in them. If you are constantly drinking caffeinated tea/coffee, cut back.

Some things you can let slide and use the "not motivated" excuse. I don't think exercise should be one of them'

I don't think many adults spend their free time watching TV or zoning out. Many adults I know bring work home with them or come home to take care of young children (another job). Doing chores is work too. I am 50 and so is my husband and we don't do that. I have a relative who is 25 - she just finished her degree - and also had a nanny job part time - she was go go go all the time. When I was 25 I started an intense grad program and studied most of the time I wasn't in class, and at 26 did that plus worked part time. And worked out and socialized.

Yes, you might have mild depression, etc but since you are not severely impaired I suggest the exercise and water (plus enough sleep), the no sugary drink thing too. Good luck!

Here is what I would do as an initial change - two changes. First, force yourself to work out again as you were -and if you don't go to the gym do a brisk walk for at least 30 minutes outside on the day you don't go to the gym. Exercise is energizing so yes, it's not ok to be lazy about that. Second, at least double the amount of water you drink in a day (so that you're drinking 8-10) and cut out any kinds of soda or drinks with sugar in them. If you are constantly drinking caffeinated tea/coffee, cut back.

Some things you can let slide and use the "not motivated" excuse. I don't think exercise should be one of them'

I don't think many adults spend their free time watching TV or zoning out. Many adults I know bring work home with them or come home to take care of young children (another job). Doing chores is work too. I am 50 and so is my husband and we don't do that. I have a relative who is 25 - she just finished her degree - and also had a nanny job part time - she was go go go all the time. When I was 25 I started an intense grad program and studied most of the time I wasn't in class, and at 26 did that plus worked part time. And worked out and socialized.

Yes, you might have mild depression, etc but since you are not severely impaired I suggest the exercise and water (plus enough sleep), the no sugary drink thing too. Good luck!

Alright, I thought that there maybe more to it than that but I guess it's just a rut that I can get out of. Not sure what triggered it, but I'll follow your advice and focus on water + exercise, and a little bit more strictness with myself. Thank you!

See a doctor for a physical and referral to a therapist to rule out any physical cause or depression etc. Perhaps your priorities are shifting. make sue you get enough sleep, physical activity and decent nutrition. Change things up, take yoga classes at the gym, for example.

Sounds like me last winter, and I wanted to avoid that again this year. Last Fall I bought a 'Happy Light' from Veralux. It was only about 40 buck and looks like a small makeup light. I've been using it daily, tilting it just 'past' my line of vision in my workspace, not directly into my eyes. It mimics bright sunlight coming in through a window, and it tricks the rods and cones in your eyes to perceive regular daylight, which prevents a hormonal response to curl up and 'hibernate'.

HUGE difference in how I responded to winter this year. The 'daylight savings' time change didn't crush my energy as it had the last few years. My sleep patterns stayed relatively normal and I've been able to maintain my energy.

While visiting a doc for a possible depression diagnosis may be beneficial if you want to go on a drug therapy, I opted to test this cheap method of avoiding a need for that, and I'm glad I did. A large number of consumer reviews supported this device as opposed to larger, expensive models, and I was not disappointed. It sells all over the Internet. It is NOT a tanning device.

Best wishes for your transition, and I hope you'll let us know how you're doing.

Is it possible you're just experiencing a bit of burnout right now? I certainly happens!

Something that has always helped me when I get into ruts like this is to set a timer for 5 minutes, and commit to whatever it is I need to do for that amount of time. It's only 5 minutes, right? I tell myself I am allowed to quit after the time is up. Most of the time, though, I have gotten enough momentum going that I continue long after the timer has sounded. Give it a try!

That light looks really interesting! Sounds like a worthwhile thing to try out, plus it looks nice.

Also, if you remember you had written on a previous post of mine (This one) Going back to it, I can see that it's been a kind of a drawn out thing that's been going on for a while. There's probably a pattern here that I should try to understand. Luckily, the problems have become smaller with each post (this being the third)

I'll try that out, thanks Yeah it feels like burnout but I feel like I haven't been working hard enough to be burnt out! I guess at the moment I should just keep taking the next step everyday, instead of stopping and giving up completely.

I'll try that out, thanks Yeah it feels like burnout but I feel like I haven't been working hard enough to be burnt out! I guess at the moment I should just keep taking the next step everyday, instead of stopping and giving up completely.

Not working hard can burn you out. It's demotivating. It's low energy. Have you noticed?

I'd set some private carrots for myself in terms of goals to meet each day. If I meet them, I'd reward myself with something fun, like a great coffee, meal or whatever else might motivate me.

Archived