Boyfriend said he wants space

Livanich

My boyfriend and I have been together just over a year: he is unhappy that I was speaking to another man however who has been my friend since before our relationship began:

Because of this, he has said our relationship is not over, however he has asked for a few days space.

Yesterday lunch time he tried to contact me once he had said in the morning he wanted the space, I responded by saying I'm really confused you said you didn't want to speak to me, to which I haven't heard from him since.

I feel really emotionally drained and I am unsure of how to approach this, because telling someone it's not over and asking for space, are these not conflicting ideas

Maybe your boyfriend is just confused of how he's feeling? It seems like for some reason he's really bothered by the fact you are talking to a male friend. Yet, he probably realized that you have been friends with this person before you even met him. He probably doesn't know what to do at this point.

He only asked for a few days of space. I say, just give it to him. Don't contact him for a few days. Then you could talk to him

No asking for space and saying it's not over is not conflicting ideas. Asking for space means just that, everyone needs space every once in a while. It does not mean the relationship is over nor does the person want it to be over. They just want space, that's it!

Maybe your boyfriend is just confused of how he's feeling? It seems like for some reason he's really bothered by the fact you are talking to a male friend. Yet, he probably realized that you have been friends with this person before you even met him. He probably doesn't know what to do at this point.

He only asked for a few days of space. I say, just give it to him. Don't contact him for a few days. Then you could talk to him

No asking for space and saying it's not over is not conflicting ideas. Asking for space means just that, everyone needs space every once in a while. It does not mean the relationship is over nor does the person want it to be over. They just want space, that's it!

Thank you for your response.

I just don't understand why he asked for space and tried to message me and is now ignoring me- feels more like he will end our relationship once he has had his few days space and feels in a stronger position to do so

Thank you for your response.

I just don't understand why he asked for space and tried to message me and is now ignoring me- feels more like he will end our relationship once he has had his few days space and feels in a stronger position to do so

Try not to think too much into it at this time. Give him the few days space and then talk to him about this. Might of texted you out of habit and forgot you were taking a break. Just don't think too much, it will drive you crazy. Worry about when the time comes, right now it's just space that he's asking for.

Sorry to hear this. Were there arguments about this? Is it an ex or something you hid from him? He can't control your friends.

Agree he's putting you in "space" limbo perhaps as "punishment" for talking to this guy. Very immature move. How old is he?

Go no contact and block him from social media and don't tolerate the space game.

he is unhappy that I was speaking to another man. Yesterday lunch time he tried to contact me once he had said in the morning he wanted the space, I responded by saying I'm really confused you said you didn't want to speak to me, to which I haven't heard from him since.

I don't know what "space" is accomplishing. A mature, healthy couple can always communicate about the issue until they either come to a consensus or to establish the fact that they aren't compatible and end things. On your end, how long are you willing to be kept in limbo? If you both feel strongly and aren't willing to budge about your positions on opposing sides of the argument, it'll never work out. You both have to agree on relationship boundaries. If you don't, move on to someone who shares similar boundaries.

No he's just a friend that I've been friend since with for 6 years. We are both 22- for whatever reason he has been insisting for months that I block him and have no contact- even suggesting that this boy is it my friend because I haven't seen him for six months which is only due to his wishes

Ok google and read up on 'red flags for controlling relationships'. In terms of isolating you, dictating to you who you are "allowed" to be friends with and this absurd "space" routine to coerce you.

Use this time to reflect if you are going to take orders from someone about who your friends should be or end it and move on to someone more secure and normal.

for whatever reason he has been insisting for months that I block him and have no contact- even suggesting that this boy is it my friend because I haven't seen him for six months which is only due to his wishes

"Controlling Behavior

Advises you how to dress without your asking for advice

Pretends to be concerned for your safety or your productive use of time

Acts like you do not have the ability to make good decisions

Becomes extremely worried or angry when you are late

Constantly questions who you spend your time with, what you did/wore/said & where you went

Insists that you check in constantly

Monitors your phone/email

Makes you ask permission to do certain things"

Archived