Employer is reducing pay due to Client. What should I do?

:sorrow:

Hi everyone!

I need your opinions based on a situation today since I never been through this situation before.

My employer (Staffing Agency) notified me during the afternoon regarding a reduce pay/pay cut due to the client is decreasing a specific percentage across the board [This means that other staffing agencies are not affected]. I was told that I need to let my employer know within 2 days (by Thursday) regarding if I would take the pay cut to continue working for the client or resign from position so my employer can find me another contract job (My last day would be Friday).

Here's the issue I'm having. If I were to leave my employer to go with another employer [staffing agency] in order to keep the same pay rate or higher pay rate with better benefits and I can still work with the same client, I need to give them a 10 day notice. What I don't understand is, why should I give them a 10 day notice? Especially when they known this for a while (maybe more than a month) and decided out of the blue to let me know about the pay cut? If I don't agree with the pay cut I lose my job.

I reread my contract. It said if I need to leave my employer, I need to give a 10 days notice. However, I do not see anywhere where they can reduce my pay rate and no where that I can not leave the employer when the pay rate has been reduced.

What should I do? I know I need to switch to a different employer and my employer did state in the email that there will be no issue for switching. I'm trying to see how can I word it in a way that they can let me terminate with a 1 day notice.

Hi Melancholy and CatFeeder.

I realized my thread must of been confusing.

Employment Staff Agency [A] told me that they will need to reduce my pay rate if I continue to work for their client or I can leave their client and they can find me a different opportunity. I found out my coworkers who are from different staff agencies are not affected by the cut. I was told by the client that I work for that I should go with a different employment staff agency, which I'm willing to since the other staff agencies that my coworkers are with have better benefits. The client says they will accept me right away.

However the Employment Staff Agency [A] told me I will need to let them know by Thursday whether or not I'm willing to take the pay cut. If I don't, my last day will be Friday.

According to the contract, if I were to leave Employment Staff Agency [A], I would need to give them a notice within 10 days. To me, I don't think I would need to give them a 10 days notice when they gave me only 2 days notice about the pay cut when I feel like they knew this for a while. Also, I didn't break the contract. They did.

I'm trying to figure out how should I word in a way that they will me to give them a termination notice on the same within 1 day.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if this is confusing still and you need more info.

If they tell you you need to let them know Friday whether you will take the paycut or leave the job, I think I would talk to one of the other staffing agencies or actually talk to your supervisor at the job that you are contracting at - if you have a good relationship tell them what is going on - that your staffing agency is making cuts and has asked if I will take a paycut to be able to stay at the job. Tell them that you are aware that other staffing agencies are used and that if you were able to switch staffing agencies, would they keep you on?

I worked for a staffing company - i had a job and was told that the client got rid of all of their temps. I sent a thank you note to the woman i worked for at the client company thanking her for the time I was there. She was outraged because she never wanted me to go - the temp agency messed up and fired us all instead of keeping the people she hand selected. I started working for another temp agency - at the same client company

If they tell you you need to let them know Friday whether you will take the paycut or leave the job, I think I would talk to one of the other staffing agencies or actually talk to your supervisor at the job that you are contracting at - if you have a good relationship tell them what is going on - that your staffing agency is making cuts and has asked if I will take a paycut to be able to stay at the job. Tell them that you are aware that other staffing agencies are used and that if you were able to switch staffing agencies, would they keep you on?

I worked for a staffing company - i had a job and was told that the client got rid of all of their temps. I sent a thank you note to the woman i worked for at the client company thanking her for the time I was there. She was outraged because she never wanted me to go - the temp agency messed up and fired us all instead of keeping the people she hand selected. I started working for another temp agency - at the same client company

Hi abitbroken!

Yes, my supervisor (client) said they still want me even if I were to switch to a different staffing agency. The only issues we are having is that in order to leave the staffing agency that I am with, I have to give a 10 day notice, which is ridiculous since they only gave me 2 notices regarding my reduced pay rate and if I don't accept the reduced pay rate, then my last day with the client I work for. Like I said before, the client is allowing me to switch staffing agency ASAP.

I just don't know how to word it to my current staffing agency that it's unfair to expect me to give them a 10 day notice when they only gave me a 2 day notice regarding a reduce pay when they might have known all along this was going to happen.

Hi abitbroken!

Yes, my supervisor (client) said they still want me even if I were to switch to a different staffing agency. The only issues we are having is that in order to leave the staffing agency that I am with, I have to give a 10 day notice, which is ridiculous since they only gave me 2 notices regarding my reduced pay rate and if I don't accept the reduced pay rate, then my last day with the client I work for. Like I said before, the client is allowing me to switch staffing agency ASAP.

I just don't know how to word it to my current staffing agency that it's unfair to expect me to give them a 10 day notice when they only gave me a 2 day notice regarding a reduce pay when they might have known all along this was going to happen.

Contact a new agency that they use and give them the story, perhaps even have them call the agency to pass along your name. You can be hired by the new agency - just like people can have two jobs. Then, tell your staffing agency thanks but no thanks. If you won't be working after friday for them at the current job, does it matter. When i worked contract for agencies, i wasn't working every day - so who is to say if you give them notice you wouldn't be sitting dormant for those days with no work. Tell them "no, i won't accept the paycut so will no longer be on this assignment" and don't take another from them. If they say 10 days notice, it is more generous than the 2 week notice for sure . As long as there is not a non compete clause, you are good.

Also, what if you worked a job and the client company fired you? they certainly aren't going to make you stay 10 days.

How solid is this assignment? Are you going to be there for a long time? Will you "need" the old agency do you think at any point?

This is very confusing. So bear with me!

I've been with the client for 2 years and counting. The staff agency is telling me the last day with their client would be Friday. However for me to leave the staffing agency, I would be required to give them a 10 day notice before switching to another agency.

The client is ready to continue my assignment on Monday if I switched to a different provider ASAP.

I'm planning to email my staffing agency tomorrow morning regarding that I am not taking the paycut and that I don't think giving a 10 day notice is necessary because of the fact they knew this was going to happen and I wasn't even given a 2 weeks notice for it.

Will the employer allow you to be gone a week? (count the saturday and sunday coming up as day one and two), or understand that is the only way. I don't understand how that's legal - sure its a courtesy to give notice, but how is it legal for them to tell you that you cannot work for ten days? It surely can't apply to a situation where your job at a client has ended, but in the case you need replacing. That's crazy. i'd give your notice tomorrow or Wednesday so you can start working again more quickly. You can work with your old agency through Friday or even satuday if you work weekends.

Will the employer allow you to be gone a week? (count the saturday and sunday coming up as day one and two), or understand that is the only way. I don't understand how that's legal - sure its a courtesy to give notice, but how is it legal for them to tell you that you cannot work for ten days? It surely can't apply to a situation where your job at a client has ended, but in the case you need replacing. That's crazy. i'd give your notice tomorrow or Wednesday so you can start working again more quickly. You can work with your old agency through Friday or even satuday if you work weekends.

I know it's a bit confusing, but thank you for helping me with this.

The client and staffing agency has set an agreement regarding my reduced pay rate. Mind you the staffing agency has charged that client I worked with at a very high rate. Therefore there's a chance that my current staffing agency is probably losing a lot of money.

If I agree to the pay rate that the staffing agency has set with the client, then I would be continuing to work for the client. However if I disagree with the staffing agency and the client has set, then the staffing agency's contract with the client is terminated and Friday will be my last day.

Another however, is that the client is willing to let me stay if I decide to switch to a different staffing agency [which charges at a lower price for them] but keep the same/higher pay rate and better benefits. Despite the fact, the client is willing to let me switch with a different staff agency, my current staff agency claims that I would need to give them [the current staffing agency] a 10 days notice before switching provider.

It's just that if I do the accept, the rate is very low. Also, I find it quite unfair that I've been given a 2 day notice instead of a 10 day notice regarding the reduced pay rate.

***I just don't know how to word it to my current staffing agency that it's unfair to expect me to give them a 10 day notice when they only gave me a 2 day notice regarding a reduce pay when they might have known all along this was going to happen.***

You can explain it to them the way you explained it to us (see above). I agree what they are doing is messed up and wrong. I worked for several temp agencies for years, at the same time, so I know they all have different ways of doing things and different rates of pay too.

***I just don't know how to word it to my current staffing agency that it's unfair to expect me to give them a 10 day notice when they only gave me a 2 day notice regarding a reduce pay when they might have known all along this was going to happen.***

You can explain it to them the way you explained it to us (see above). I agree what they are doing is messed up and wrong. I worked for several temp agencies for years, at the same time, so I know they all have different ways of doing things and different rates of pay too.

Thanks, Melancholy!

It kind of sux that I have to take a big hit on my pay rate when I have other loans to pay. I just hope everything works out tomorrow.

I understand your issue, but if push comes to shove, just take a vacation between jobs. I think that you would need to consult with an attorney of some sort who deals with unfair labor practices, and it might be too costly and not worth the expense. I do, feel, as you do that your situation qualifies for some type of exception to the 10 day rule. chi

I understand your issue, but if push comes to shove, just take a vacation between jobs. I think that you would need to consult with an attorney of some sort who deals with unfair labor practices, and it might be too costly and not worth the expense. I do, feel, as you do that your situation qualifies for some type of exception to the 10 day rule. chi

Thanks, chi. Yeah I don't feel like dealing with the attorney since I still have medical bills that I need to deal with from the accident from 2 years ago that still need sorting out.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly tomorrow.

According to the contract, if I were to leave Employment Staff Agency [A], I would need to give them a notice within 10 days. To me, I don't think I would need to give them a 10 days notice when they gave me only 2 days notice about the pay cut when I feel like they knew this for a while. Also, I didn't break the contract. They did.

I'm trying to figure out how should I word in a way that they will me to give them a termination notice on the same within 1 day.

You are correct, they're changing your contract. Simply tell them that you don't accept the lower rate, and don't say anything else. Then you're not quitting, they're terminating you.

Thanks, chi. Yeah I don't feel like dealing with the attorney since I still have medical bills that I need to deal with from the accident from 2 years ago that still need sorting out.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly tomorrow.

You don't need an attorney, you can contact your local dept of labor. However, you don't have to quit, just don't accept a lower rate. They're the ones terminating your agreement, not the other way around.

You don't need an attorney, you can contact your local dept of labor. However, you don't have to quit, just don't accept a lower rate. They're the ones terminating your agreement, not the other way around.

Exactly. Dont tell them you are joining another Agency, just tell them that you are not accepting the lower rate of pay & see what they say.

Exactly. Dont tell them you are joining another Agency, just tell them that you are not accepting the lower rate of pay & see what they say.

Also, check with the unemployment office if you're in the US. If you've worked enough weeks over 3 quarters, you're entitled to collect benefits while seeking new work. And YES, even if you're the one who 'refused work,' because it was a lower rate of pay than you agreed to.

I agree with the posters above, to just refuse the pay cut.

Hahaha, I would be wearing a Scarlet Letter Stating "This one is unprofessional. Did not give 10 day notice. BURNED BRIDGE."

No one likes to burn bridges. But if refusing the pay cut doesn't work out, you might have to. I contracted for a few years, and I use the clients as my references for those years, not the staffing agency.

I agree with the posters above, to just refuse the pay cut.

No one likes to burn bridges. But if refusing the pay cut doesn't work out, you might have to. I contracted for a few years, and I use the clients as my references for those years, not the staffing agency.

Yes, you get to choose your own references. Your 'employment history' is different from a 'reference list'. Your prior employers can be contacted to confirm employment dates and rate of pay, but there are laws that limit further discussion about you unless you specify permission by naming the employer as a reference. Otherwise, speaking negatively about you is slander outside a case where a court has convicted you of something and it's on public record.

I was working a temp job through an agency. I was also interviewing for permanent jobs while working. I was offered a permanent position at a different company. I called the temp agency and told them that Friday would be my last day (giving in essence a two-day notice).

The agency rep tried to object, saying I wasn't giving adequate notice. I asked him how much notice I would be given if my assignment ended. He hemmed and hawed, then admitted they were not required to give me any notice at all. So I told him he should appreciate that I didn't just walk off the job. I also told him I knew the agency had plenty of workers on their books who they could assign in my place. Once I pointed out those two things, he stopped giving me a hard time.

Archived