Weight gain/working out

How do you look and feel? How long have you been working out? What are you doing for a work out?

It's super easy to gain weight if you are putting on muscle. Also just a few pounds could be water weight, your period, a heavy meal... lots of things.

I only been working out for 3 weeks, I hadn't worked out in 5 yrs prior to this. It's not time for my period. I eat salads and drink lots of water, baked chicken, fish.

I am eating healthier and gaining weight, before I was eating bad and not gaining weight.

Could be anything. Most likely water. Put the scale away if you're the type to get neurotic over it. Your body can fluctuate even 5 pounds after any given day. If you insist on weighing yourself, measure by trend, not by any one date.

Eating "good" or "bad" has nothing to do with fat gain. It comes down to consuming more than you're expending. You can overeat any kind of food. However, to gain 4 pounds of fat in three weeks, you'd have to be overeating like 700 calories every single day. That's a lot of baked chicken and salad.

I was about your size when I started working out, 6 months later, I'm about 115 pounds. It's not always like this at the beginning when I first started. I started gaining a little bit but eventually the weight went down.

Here's my trick, I didn't jump on the scale all that often (it's discouraging) Just go by how you feel after a gym session.

1) Try to set some goals, as in design a set workout for each body part and set a schedule and just go with it. Do some weights and not just cardio. Increase intensity, weights as it starts to get easy for you.

2) Eating right is one thing, but cutting everything out from your diet is just going to be counter productive. Instead think of food as fuel. You add some protein and nutrients for your muscle to properly grow. Do it one step at at time. Muscles needs a lot fuel. I eat twice as much as I used to now but still loosing weight because muscle helps burn calories even when you are not doing anything.

3) Just realized the first few months you are not going to notice a big difference. Just keep going by how you feel and continue to push. Make sure to put in enough rest days. You will get there!

Put aside some clothes that you would love to fit nicely into. A few months down, try them on, you'll be surprise. Yes, muscle weighs more than fat. I've build some muscle and looks a lot leaner because I do a lot of weight training which also helps me with weight loss.

Get a personal trainer if you are not sure on how to approach your workout.

I was about your size when I started working out, 6 months later, I'm about 115 pounds. It's not always like this at the beginning when I first started. I started gaining a little bit but eventually the weight went down.

Here's my trick, I didn't jump on the scale all that often (it's discouraging) Just go by how you feel after a gym session.

1) Try to set some goals, as in design a set workout for each body part and set a schedule and just go with it. Do some weights and not just cardio. Increase intensity, weights as it starts to get easy for you.

2) Eating right is one thing, but cutting everything out from your diet is just going to be counter productive. Instead think of food as fuel. You add some protein and nutrients for your muscle to properly grow. Do it one step at at time. Muscles needs a lot fuel. I eat twice as much as I used to now but still loosing weight because muscle helps burn calories even when you are not doing anything.

3) Just realized the first few months you are not going to notice a big difference. Just keep going by how you feel and continue to push. Make sure to put in enough rest days. You will get there!

Put aside some clothes that you would love to fit nicely into. A few months down, try them on, you'll be surprise. Yes, muscle weighs more than fat. I've build some muscle and looks a lot leaner because I do a lot of weight training which also helps me with weight loss.

Get a personal trainer if you are not sure on how to approach your workout.

I do have a personal trainer, I am in an mx4 class we use the trx strapes too.

Could be anything. Most likely water. Put the scale away if you're the type to get neurotic over it. Your body can fluctuate even 5 pounds after any given day. If you insist on weighing yourself, measure by trend, not by any one date.

Eating "good" or "bad" has nothing to do with fat gain. It comes down to consuming more than you're expending. You can overeat any kind of food. However, to gain 4 pounds of fat in three weeks, you'd have to be overeating like 700 calories every single day. That's a lot of baked chicken and salad.

My trainer said it's muscle, but I haven't noticed much change yet. Everyone's like you should be losing weight not gaining. I make sure I'm getting 1,200 calories in per day. The days I don't have my trainer I do a jog or a fast pace walk.

If you stick with it it will eventually go down. Just put the scale away. I'd go with how you feel and what you can do. The scale becomes an obsession. I'll admit im big 220. When I was scale obsessed I was 140 that wasn't healthy either. Go with walk times or distance as an indicator of how good you are doing. I think that's healthier. Good luck BTW good job for getting out there.

Depends on many things. On days with less sleep, more stress and a bit worse eating I'd weight up to 1.5 kg more, and then the other day scale would show 1.5kg less. Dont rely on scale entirely, because it depends on too many things.

do you drink enough water?

And I doubt you gained so much muscle in 3 weeks.

Saying it's muscle this early in your fitness regime is somewhat naive.

If I do an intense workout, I always weigh 5lb+ more the next morning. Google it: your muscles get damaged (normal), and you retain water to help the healing process. If this is new, which it is, it'll take awhile for your body to equilibrate. It could be SOME muscle, but it's likely all water.

My trainer said it's muscle, but I haven't noticed much change yet. Everyone's like you should be losing weight not gaining. I make sure I'm getting 1,200 calories in per day. The days I don't have my trainer I do a jog or a fast pace walk.
Well, first and foremost, your trainer is full of ****. Is she an actual personal trainer or an instructor certified in some random program?

It takes men like 2+ months to gain 4 pounds of muscle, and that's with newbie gains and adhering damn near perfectly to a diet and lifting regimen. It would take a woman double that, at least. In addition, you'd have to be pretty overweight to put on muscle without a caloric surplus, which 1200 for an active 150 pound woman certainly isn't.

Unless you're absolutely dousing your chicken in BBQ sauce and your salads with dressing and not accounting for those calories, the 4 pounds is water weight. Sodium, alcohol, abrupt changes in activity level, hormones (especially if you're undereating) are just a few things that can bring on retention. It happens often and to everyone. It can also go the other way, where you'll have however many pounds of water lost.

Could be several things: You're building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so while you may "gain" weight you're actually building muscle, which is the right way to go. OR you are possibly eating more, yes even healthy foods can be too much if you're intaking high-calorie foods no matter how healthful they claim to be, or you're drinking sports drinks which have a lot of added sugars and calories.

Best steps: ignore the scale over how clothes fit and how you feel, realize long-term results are more than short-term ones and/or what appear to be set backs, so don't get discouraged and stop, and become an able label reader on every product you consume. There are just a ton of hidden gotchas in everything from yogurt to canned veggies (sugar, corny syrup, sugar and corn syrup, salt way above the requirement in a human diet, etc.)

But over time you will see results if you keep doing what you're doing. You'll also learn what works for you and be able to adjust as you go along. Happy healthy days ahead!

Forget the scale and measure your progress based on how you feel and how your clothes fit.

My trainer doesn't have an ounce of fat on her and has superb muscle tone without bulk. She says she fails the BMI test because her weight is high for her height. She's fine with that--she feels and looks fabulous.

Well, first and foremost, your trainer is full of ****. Is she an actual personal trainer or an instructor certified in some random program?

It takes men like 2+ months to gain 4 pounds of muscle, and that's with newbie gains and adhering damn near perfectly to a diet and lifting regimen. It would take a woman double that, at least. In addition, you'd have to be pretty overweight to put on muscle without a caloric surplus, which 1200 for an active 150 pound woman certainly isn't.

Unless you're absolutely dousing your chicken in BBQ sauce and your salads with dressing and not accounting for those calories, the 4 pounds is water weight. Sodium, alcohol, abrupt changes in activity level, hormones (especially if you're undereating) are just a few things that can bring on retention. It happens often and to everyone. It can also go the other way, where you'll have however many pounds of water lost.

i know you're right and you're awesome and all but this just makes me want to take my leg weights off and throw them in your face. 4 MONTHS before i see muscle?!! ughhh i mean c'mon i'm the person who doesn't capitalize letters because the shift key is waaahahahahhaayyy over there.... 4 months to replace some of the flubber with muscle sounds like forever.

though, if it helps the other impatient folks, and warning it's a bit gross, my boss would say "that's four periods. it's soon. you know how when you get it you're all like whaat, didn't i just have one?"

nicole, mustlovedogs put it succintly. don't sweat it, it'll go away and at least you know your workout is doing something.

i know you're right and you're awesome and all but this just makes me want to take my leg weights off and throw them in your face. 4 MONTHS before i see muscle?!! ughhh i mean c'mon i'm the person who doesn't capitalize letters because the shift key is waaahahahahhaayyy over there.... 4 months to replace some of the flubber with muscle sounds like forever.

though, if it helps the other impatient folks, and warning it's a bit gross, my boss would say "that's four periods. it's soon. you know how when you get it you're all like whaat, didn't i just have one?"

nicole, mustlovedogs put it succintly. don't sweat it, it'll go away and at least you know you're doing it right.

I see changes in muscle definition within 2 weeks, in arms and shoulders. I am less able to identify changes in my quads, hams, glutes. Working those large muscles 3 or 4 times a week with a high intensity interval workout will have a strong effect on your metabolism. Combine that with a responsible and not indulgent eating plan and your weight will net decrease at a pace of maybe a pound a week.

I see changes in muscle definition within 2 weeks, in arms and shoulders. I am less able to identify changes in my quads, hams, glutes. Working those large muscles 3 or 4 times a week with a high intensity interval workout will have a strong effect on your metabolism. Combine that with a responsible and not indulgent eating plan and your weight will net decrease at a pace of maybe a pound a week.

thank you. we shouldn't forget other effects will be noticeable earlier on. i was just thinking how when i used to work a job that strained my right hand i saw changes in that arm much sooner.

i don't personally want a lower weight, but i know you can see definition sooner. i'm noticing i walk nice too after a workout (especially those upper back exercises). have you noticed that nicole?

us newbies need to remember why we're doing it in general, not measure success in muscle mass necessarily.

You'll notice you're getting stronger for sure - but a few pounds of muscle is a LOT of muscle. That doesn't mean you're not getting stronger. But you won't go from curling 10 lbs to 50 lbs overnight... keep track of the new things you're able to do, how much better you look and feel, and that should be enough.

should stay away from the scale..my weight fluctuates sometimes.

may I ask what your goals are?

if you search a guy on youtube named "Christi@n Guzman, he recently did a video on "the scale"

and some of the causes on why to stay away from the scale, things that can make your

weight fluctuate etc. IMO its a good video. Pretty much said be careful looking

at the scale because it doesn't tell you the whole story.

Archived