guy from work I used to date being annoying

I recently went back to an old job that I was at four years ago. I briefly dated someone there for around two months, who then turned out to be an immense stalker and I had to get management involved to get him to leave me alone.

Anyway there has been no contact (on account of him being blocked) for four years, and when I came back to this job it was fine to start with and he seemed almost too scared to talk to me. Only now after a few months, he has begun to really get on my nerves. Even if I am in a one-to-one conversation with someone else he will butt in and join us. It is starting to annoy a couple of the other women when we are talking boyfriends, usual girly stuff etc and he butts in.

I'm not really sure how to handle it. For a while I ignored it but now I am finding it hard to stay quiet and I've been a bit snappy with other people today because I have just had enough of his presence. I have confided in one or two people who knew from before who have been supportive.

This isn't a long term job at all, it is funding my final year at uni and then I'll be out. At this rate I am tempted to quit now but I really need the money.

Unfortunately, "being annoying" generally isn't a breach of company policy. If he's butting into talk of "boyfriends and girly stuff," it seems like an easy solution would be to fill your time with more work rather than socializing. Don't know the nature of your work though.

It sounds like he is butt hurt that he was called out as a stalker. Rightly so, since he is now butting into conversations.

Is the management "keeping an eye on him" because of what happened?

Usually walking away is a good method and not let him get the better of you.

If it becomes threatening, you can bring it up with management again. Maybe a work restraining-order of sorts can be arranged?

It sounds like he is butt hurt that he was called out as a stalker. Rightly so, since he is now butting into conversations.

Is the management "keeping an eye on him" because of what happened?

Usually walking away is a good method and not let him get the better of you.

If it becomes threatening, you can bring it up with management again. Maybe a work restraining-order of sorts can be arranged?

Kind of but for different things. He has also been suspended for going out with a student. So to be honest, it would have to be something incredibly serious before they'd even do anything.

Archived