911 Dispatch hiring process

I've been in the hiring process for a job with our Central Dispatch which dispatches for police officers, sheriffs, ambulance, and firemen. I turned in my application and typing test on December 6th, did my testing on February 11th, got called for an interview on the 15th, had my interview on February 22nd, and was notified the next day that I did well enough to begin the background check. It took me a little over a week to complete the packet and turn it in, it was very extensive. I turned it in on the first of March. I still haven't heard anything back. My background is clean and I had all the required documents. There are two positions to be filled, and I believe 5 of us that got to the background part. Does anyone have any experience with this and how long it takes to hear back anything after the background check? I really want this job and I'm stressing myself out every day wondering when they're going to call. I've heard some places can take 2-3 months to go through everything in the background, so I shouldn't be worrying, but I am lol. Any insight?

They use snail mail as part of your background check. Meaning they send out actual forms to your previous employers, references, etc which then have to be filled out and returned. It's a long slow process.

If you are not currently working, I'd say keep actively looking for other jobs. It may well take 2 months for them to get back to you and you might not even get hired after all that anyway.

Thanks j.man, patience isn't one of my strong points. I'll work on it, lol, and try to be patient with it. I just want to know!

If patient isn't a strong point, why would you do 911 dispatch? I mean that in the nicest way possible, but I think patience would be imperative in that kind of role.

If patient isn't a strong point, why would you do 911 dispatch? I mean that in the nicest way possible, but I think patience would be imperative in that kind of role.

Patience isn't one of my mine either and I work with primarily old people. I have the world's longest fuse at work though and nothing rattles me. People can have different at-work personas and display different traits and strengths than their personal, "true" selves.

You're right, it is. I mean patience isn't a strong point when it comes to hearing back about something I want. I'm patient with all other things in life, lol. I really think it's a career I would excel in, and I want the chance to prove it. The dispatch center I applied for hasn't hired in a long time, and it's a job I've always wanted, so now I have the chance and I just want it to work out. I knew the process would take awhile, and I really am trying to be patient and keep myself busy with other things, I've just overcome so much the last year and a half and always worked dead end jobs trying to support myself and my son. This is my dream job and it means a lot to me.

You're right, it is. I mean patience isn't a strong point when it comes to hearing back about something I want. I'm patient with all other things in life, lol. I really think it's a career I would excel in, and I want the chance to prove it. The dispatch center I applied for hasn't hired in a long time, and it's a job I've always wanted, so now I have the chance and I just want it to work out. I knew the process would take awhile, and I really am trying to be patient and keep myself busy with other things, I've just overcome so much the last year and a half and always worked dead end jobs trying to support myself and my son. This is my dream job and it means a lot to me.

I really hope you get it and wish you well. However, please do keep working on a plan B. If they have 5 applicants that went forward to background checks and only 2 positions open......it's a bit of a lottery whether you get it or not. In fact, you might want to get on the phone to your references and previous employers if possible and ask them to keep an eye out for the forms and/or phone calls about your employment verification and to please respond to them as quickly as possible. The difference on who gets hired can be as simple as whose results come back the fastest.

I work for a local government and have some experience in what you ask.

It takes a long time to do a extensive background check. A very long time! As a dispatcher you will have access to sensitive information, the exact whereabouts of officers and have to be able to work under stressful situations. Not everyone can handle the job and some wash out or have to leave because they don't have what it takes. Just because your background is clean doesn't mean anything as far as how long it takes.

Where I work we run EVERYONE through the DOJ. I mean everyone. Typist, parks worker, garbage man ..... everyone. No one is hired now without at least running their name and info through the DOJ so you can imagine what they do for a dispatcher.

These are the days we live in now so be patient and don't bug them. They get frustrated on how long it takes too. Many times they have a vacancy they want filled to be all staffed up and are waiting for that person to get on the job.

It sounds like you have a very good shot from what you wrote so hang in there. Many times these positions have an ongoing recruitment list so don't give up.

Good luck

Lost

Archived