Working out

I joined a gym a week ago, I haven't worked out in 5 years. I started out on the elite side of the gym using the trx and mx4 small group sessions.

I am the new girl in the group, the trainer tells me I need to work on my form, I am 5ft 4 in tall 146 pounds. We do so many different exercises, being I haven't worked out in a while everything is new.

I pay $120 a month on a contract, I just don't want to quit and give up, I know it's a challenge and I am pushing myself, to do more than I did in the past.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

The first weeks are the toughest, especially after a 5 year hiatus.

Once your body and muscles re-condition, the pain will subside and you will be stronger.

Stick with it, eventually your workout will be habitual.

Ensure the food you are consuming is aligned with your efforts in the gym. Protein especially.

Good luck, summer bikini season is coming!

I joined a gym a week ago..

I haven't worked out in 5 years..

I haven't worked out in a while everything is new..

I just don't want to quit and give up..

I know it's a challenge and I am pushing myself, to do more than I did in the past..

What would you do if you were in my situation?

I think that you should be incredibly proud of yourself! Good on you for meeting a challenge to improve your health and fitness, mate! Whenever the going gets rough, read the words you've written - you inspire me!

On a related note, this forum just keeps impressing me! The support and feedback here is so well rounded and top notch. Good on you all!

The first weeks are the toughest, especially after a 5 year hiatus.

Once your body and muscles re-condition, the pain will subside and you will be stronger.

Stick with it, eventually your workout will be habitual.

Ensure the food you are consuming is aligned with your efforts in the gym. Protein especially.

Good luck, summer bikini season is coming!

Yes I am on a diet and eating right, I just was starting to worry, because I know I'm putting my body through boot camp, before I was scared to go, now I just go to the gym and try to learn the techniques that my trainer is doing, eventually my form will come.

Keep going, get a good trainer and sign up for various classes.

I have a good trainer, she trains 5 of us or less at different stations. I just feel so brand new, every one else has been in the class for a long time, I'm just joining in.

I think that you should be incredibly proud of yourself! Good on you for meeting a challenge to improve your health and fitness, mate! Whenever the going gets rough, read the words you've written - you inspire me!

On a related note, this forum just keeps impressing me! The support and feedback here is so well rounded and top notch. Good on you all!

I am very proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone, anyone can go to the gym, I knew I was taking a challenge starting out on the elite side, sometimes it's good to challenge yourself. I may not understand every workout, but I will get there.

Form will come. Keep the weight light until you've gotten it down. Bad form + more weight than you can handle = Snap City. I used to train folks and let me tell you, I respect the hell outta someone using pink dumbbells but doing a full, controlled, and proper range of motion over a dude pushing plates like a jack ass with his discs just waiting to slip.

As others have said, getting into the habit of going is the #1 key. First week is the worst and it'll still be tough for a bit afterward, but give it a bit, feel the progress, and you'll come around.

Keep it up. Don't let the pressure of being new get to you. Every single person in that class with you has been in the very same position you're in now.

By the way, if that's you in that picture, you are drop dead gorgeous. Get to know the squat rack and dudes will be lining up on their knees.

By the way, if that's you in that picture, you are drop dead gorgeous.

Wow, good looking out, j.man!

OP, you are absolutely lovely! I realize fitness is valuable for a medley of reasons beyond surface appeal, alone, but I'm with j.man, here.

Ha-cha-cha!

Form will come. Keep the weight light until you've gotten it down. Bad form + more weight than you can handle = Snap City. I used to train folks and let me tell you, I respect the hell outta someone using pink dumbbells but doing a full, controlled, and proper range of motion over a dude pushing plates like a with his discs just waiting to slip.

As others have said, getting into the habit of going is the #1 key. First week is the worst and it'll still be tough for a bit afterward, but give it a bit, feel the progress, and you'll come around.

Keep it up. Don't let the pressure of being new get to you. Every single person in that class with you has been in the very same position you're in now.

By the way, if that's you in that picture, you are drop dead gorgeous. Get to know the squat rack and dudes will be lining up on their knees.

Yes that is me in the pic, I just feel new to everything even doing the squats right, and even my lunges. I do take the toning classes on the days that I don't do mx4, trx boot camp lol. I am just wanting to tone my body, I'm not fat. It seems like I am off to a slow start and it will be a while before I see results.

Everyone so far has already offered great advice, and I also agree that you are gorgeous! I'm a physical therapist with some exercise science background, and form can often be an issue when new exercises are first being introduced (people need to get used to being aware of their body positions) and also when the exercise is more difficult than what our muscles are ready to handle. This trainer should be more specific with you about what "form" you need to work on. Is she giving you specific feedback on certain exercises?

I know TRX is body weight exercises, and I'm not familiar with the other that you mentioned. Almost all exercises can be modified in one way or another to better suit the fitness level of the person. You could ask the trainer for a modified version, and really, she should be offering this anyway, especially if she sees someone in class struggling.

It's great that you getting out there and working out again! As long as you are consistent and still take time to rest properly between sessions, you WILL get stronger! I also agree with the others that it's in your best interest to try a variety of classes and activities to find what you enjoy the most, and because cross training like this is good for overall fitness. The more fun you're having, the more likely you will stay consistent with your training. Good luck!

I used to train folks and let me tell you, I respect the hell outta someone using pink dumbbells but doing a full, controlled, and proper range of motion over a dude pushing plates like a jack ass with his discs just waiting to slip.

YES, I second this! Can't stand those people.

Everyone so far has already offered great advice, and I also agree that you are gorgeous! I'm a physical therapist with some exercise science background, and form can often be an issue when new exercises are first being introduced (people need to get used to being aware of their body positions) and also when the exercise is more difficult than what our muscles are ready to handle. This trainer should be more specific with you about what "form" you need to work on. Is she giving you specific feedback on certain exercises?

I know TRX is body weight exercises, and I'm not familiar with the other that you mentioned. Almost all exercises can be modified in one way or another to better suit the fitness level of the person. You could ask the trainer for a modified version, and really, she should be offering this anyway, especially if she sees someone in class struggling.

It's great that you getting out there and working out again! As long as you are consistent and still take time to rest properly between sessions, you WILL get stronger! I also agree with the others that it's in your best interest to try a variety of classes and activities to find what you enjoy the most, and because cross training like this is good for overall fitness. The more fun you're having, the more likely you will stay consistent with your training. Good luck!

Thanks for the compliment, yes she does modify all of the exercises. On the days that I am not doing those classes, I am taking other classes that I enjoy such as toning, I will eventually take spin classes too. I just feel like I require more attention from the trainer. She told me to work on my lunges and squats over the weekend and also my core because everything needs to be aligned.

Archived