Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 16 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: She became distant when her ex-husband got married. Now I'm friend zoned.

cousin

She became distant when her ex-husband got married. Now I'm friend zoned.

I (39/M) met her (31/F) on a dating site a month and a half ago. We've gone on several dates. I have spent the night at her place five or six times.

During the first few weeks of dating, she was into me big time. She texted me nonstop and called me all the time. She always initiated sex. Things got physical on the second date even though she initially said she didn't want to sleep together until marriage. She comes from a very religious family. She has been divorced for two years. She and her ex have two young children together.

Her ex-husband cheated on her and ended up marrying the woman he cheated with a couple of weeks ago. The woman I've been seeing told me that she was "really sad" about it. She even visited her sister across the country to distract herself during the wedding. She posts things about divorce on social media all of the time.

I noticed that she has been very distant lately via texting since the trip. She actually looked like she was in a daze when I dropped her off at the airport. She only texted me once during the trip. It was the night before she was to come back. She was drunk.

I have texted her first almost every time since she got back from her trip. The only time she texted me first was to ask me to stay over this past Saturday.

I asked her a couple of days ago if we need to talk. She said that she doesn't see me as a "long term romantic partner." She also said she "was forcing" herself to see things about us that weren't there. She also said she wants to continue hanging out as friends but that is all. She told me I didn't do anything wrong. I asked her if she was interested in someone else, she said she doesn't want to date anyone right now. She assured me that it will be a long time before she goes back to dating anyone else.

She is on a trip with her family and friends right now. She said that she'd like to "chat" when she gets back next week. I'm not sure if we should continue being friends or just cut her off completely.

Lostinlove31
    Cut her off conpletely. She is still in turmoil over the kast relationship. She is trying to cure herself instead of seeking counseling or healthy outlets

3. Thanks Wiseman2, KantSleep, Steve3244, Vivi0476, FlashEng1 thanked for this post
    Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Stop wasting your time! She will use you as a sounding board/therapist.

I'm sorry, but she used you as a rebound. Move on.

You can't be friends when there are feelings.

5. Thanks Vivi0476, lostandhurt, cousin thanked for this post
    Wiseman2
    Sorry to hear this. It sounds like this was painful for her.

Unfortunately she doesn't sound ready for a relationship and at least she acknowledges this openly. She's open to hookups and casual sex for a distraction, it seems.

If she shifted from fwb to friendzone then yeah, after 6 weeks of dating just cut the cord it's not worth the drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by cousin [Register to see the link]
    a month and a half ago. We've gone on several dates. I have spent the night at her place five or six times. She said that she doesn't see me as a "long term romantic partner." She also said she wants to continue hanging out as friends but that is all.

7. Thanks cousin thanked for this post
    cousin
    I agree with you. I don't really think we can meet up as friends at this point. I thought she was past her ex-husband when she told me she had dated a few guys since the divorce. I've seen old pics on Facebook of her and guys, so I was certain she just hadn't found the right guy. I guess I was wrong.

cousin
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman2 [Register to see the link]
    Sorry to hear this. It sounds like this was painful for her.

Unfortunately she doesn't sound ready for a relationship and at least she acknowledges this openly. She's open to hookups and casual sex for a distraction, it seems.

If she shifted from fwb to friendzone then yeah, after 6 weeks of dating just cut the cord it's not worth the drama.
    I think it was probably hard for her. I just don't understand how she can go from inviting me to sleep over one night to breaking things off (via text) three days later.

Blue68
    I really don't see any point in being friends with her. She is just hoping to lean on you for emotional support because she is clearly not over her ex-husband. It is better to cut all communication now before you fall any deeper. Besides, the "friendship" will only really work one way because it will most likely be all on her terms.

11. Thanks Wiseman2, cousin thanked for this post
    cousin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue68 [Register to see the link]
    I really don't see any point in being friends with her. She is just hoping to lean on you for emotional support because she is clearly not over her ex-husband. It is better to cut all communication now before you fall any deeper.
    I keep thinking she will get over him now that he is married. We haven't spoken over the phone or in person about this. I feel like she will change her mind if we discuss it in person.

SherrySher
    Cut this completely, there is no point in continuing anything further.
    Start new with someone else who is ready for a relationship and is not still hung up on the past.

14. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cousin [Register to see the link]
    I think it was probably hard for her. I just don't understand how she can go from inviting me to sleep over one night to breaking things off (via text) three days later.
    If someone is not emotionally available, it's easy. She not over the ex.

16. Thanks cousin thanked for this post

Page 1 of 16 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Met a guy who seems way too busy for a relationship
Met a guy who seems way too busy for a relationship. Heís great in every sense. Heís smart, funny, attractive, but he seems way too preoccupied
Does she like me or not?
I met a girl from online dating, after the first date we kissed, she told me at the end of the date that she wanted to see me again and asked if I
She cancelled our date and I had no time to make other plans
The girl I was scheduled to meet today cancelled on meet through text last night and I was left with no other options tonight and home alone. I
EU man, so confused.
I met this guy on FB, 2 months ago. He lives 2 hours away from me. He was smart, funny, and a really good writer..he pretty much pursued me. We
Rejected again
I've been trying to get back into dating after a breakup and it's kind of making me feel worse. I've been on 3 dates (none was there any connection)
Is it normal to talk this way in a relationship?
I'm so confused. First off, I know this should not have happened via text but it's honestly not far from conversation we would have in real life. I
Conflicts around having my opinion and personal boundaries?
I have some concerns about my boyfriend in terms of respecting my boundaries and being okay with my opinions. Yesterday I had my old hard drive

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Dating younger guy 24 years difference
I am 50 yrs old dating a 26 yrs old guy. We been dating each other for a couple months things are great between us. He told me he will always be
Boyfriend gets very angry if I mention his ex, is this normal?
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5months. He broke up with his ex and a year and a half ago. 7 months after they
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
Is this abuse?
Iím desperate for some advice. Iíve been with my partner for nearly 2 years and everything has been ok, except from when he drinks. I really do not
Is there hope for me?
Me and my girlfriend of two years had been talking about moving in together lately. We didn't actually go look at any place in person, but browsed a
Bringing up trust issues at the start of a new relationship? My situation...
Haven't been on these boards since my last break up a couple years ago, and here I am about to begin a new relationship with feelings from the last
Whats my next move - Dating a girl fresh out of a relationship
Hey guys, So heres the deal. Met a girl in class and I asked her out. Her answer was "maybe" because she didn't want to say no to me but just
Ask For Advice