Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad are restraining orders

Beastelstein

How bad are restraining orders

I'll preface this by saying I was very mentally unhealthy through all of this. Anyway awhile back I finally got the dream girl I wanted for 8 years until she inexplicably left me for a total ***hole.

I had to rescue her everytime he upset her, one time she went overdosed on ativan from a situation with him. He held her dogs medication hostage, made up rumors about her sleeping with someone for money, came over several times without consent the first time involving cops. I've had an on and off relationship with her cause of this guy that wouldn't stay away.

A month ago I had a lot of issues with my medication and after she went back to him, I was telling her I was ready to kill myself (I was severely depressed). I also got fairly mean with the man in question because of everything he's done. I tried asking her best friend for help cause she dislikes him too but she pushed all her friends away. Anyway my behavior isn't in the right I get that but I got threatened with a restraining order (apparently he can harass her regularly and it's okay). What I wanna know is what to expect from a legal standpoint.

Note: Please don't criticize me for making mistakes. I finally have proper brain chemistry again.

RainyCoast
    well obviously you're not allowed to go near her or get in touch because that's followed by arrest.

think how that'll look on your record. restraing order and harrassment. you plan to be employed until retirement, right? they'll want clean records and no history of behavioral problems, harrassment, low impulse control, conflicts.

stay on your stabilizers and in therapy and block all means of contacting either of them or their family and friends.

have your life evolve around you. like your recovery, employment, hobbies, making friends.

Jeffbobo
    Depending on where you're at, I don't think they hand out restraining orders like candy and if violated, you'd be picked up, booked and put in jail so I'd take this very seriously if I were you.

This whole situation is a toxic bomb. You shouid be strict no contact with her for both of your sakes independent of the restraining order. The restraint order should further hit you upside the head to enforce no contact. This means completely remove her and anything that reminds you of her from your life. Block and/or delete any way for her to contact you and any way that you can contact her.

IAmFCA
    Restraining orders are easy to get where i live, requiring no evidence. And they are vigorously enforced.

5. Thanks j.man thanked for this post
    RainyCoast
    yeah it's quite easy to get one here too. they do ask evidence, but nothing a person would have trouble providing. neighbors or friends witnessing unwanted and disturbing visits, phone records, texts and snailmail arriving after you've asked them to stop.

op if you are not med compliant or still figuring out a dosage and coctail that works, take group sessions or ask your couselor for help to establish rules of conduct when you're unstable to prevent such things from happening. i sympathise with the effects of an illness, but, and no judgement on my end as i say this, the illness or meds made me do it rarely holds. learn to manage your symptoms however hard. she is a risk person for you so eliminate temptation by blocking. have safe people like friends family and a support group to ride out your symptoms and talk them through so you don't act on them. have options of what you can do when you feel out of control, like a toolbox.

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It means you have no contact with this person in any way or you get arrested and jailed.

IAmFCA
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~ [Register to see the link]
    It means you have no contact with this person in any way or you get arrested and jailed.
    Yes. I know someone who took a charge for sending his kids a merry christmas email, and that is all it said. Merry Christmas, I love you. The email was sent while he was under a restraining order, and was therefore a violation of the law. The judge upheld the charge.

Beastelstein
    Quote Originally Posted by IThinkICan [Register to see the link]
    Yes. I know someone who took a charge for sending his kids a merry christmas email, and that is all it said. Merry Christmas, I love you. The email was sent while he was under a restraining order, and was therefore a violation of the law. The judge upheld the charge.
    Okay but I have no intention of contacting her, impulses and emotions be dammed. If I leave her be am I okay? I left her alone for about a month

Matt3939
    Platinum Member
    It's not even worth it leave the situation alone. Have a clean record with anything it might help (YOU) in the future. Example getting a job that needs certain clearances.

Wiseman2
    Stay away from her and her people and her situation in any way, shape or form. Strict no contact and delete and block from social media.

Take care of yourself and continue therapy. Don't worry about her, she made her choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastelstein [Register to see the link]
    I've had an on and off relationship with her cause of this guy that wouldn't stay away. I was telling her I was ready to kill myself. I also got fairly mean with the man in question because of everything he's done. I got threatened with a restraining order.

"You will not be officially notified of a restraining order until you are served. The court will not hold a 10-day hearing until it receives a return of service notifying that you have been made aware of the 10-day hearing. You cannot violate a restraining order if you have not been properly served.

Anyone who claims to be in "imminent fear of bodily harm" can attempt to obtain a restraining order. A judge can issue a restraining order against anyone who qualifies as a family or household member. People are considered family or household members if they:

are or were married to one another,
    are or were living together in the same household,
    are or were related by blood or marriage,
    have a child in common,
    have been dating or engaged. The court looks at the following factors when qualifying this: length of relationship, type of relationship, frequency of interaction during relationship, and time passed since termination of relationship.
    If the person who got a restraining order against you does not fall into one of the above categories, the restraining order is not legal. This is an issue to be brought up at the 10-day hearing.

What happens if I get served?

If you are served with a restraining order, it means that someone has gone to court and told the judge he or she is in fear of you. This initial order is valid only until the hearing. The hearing is usually 10 days after the ex parte hearing; however, if you have not been served, the court will postpone the hearing until you have been served"

12. Thanks DancingFool thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
I still love my ex, but she moved on with someone else
My ex and I were both each other's first true love. I was the first guy she ever dated, her first everything. We always wanted to have a future
get back together
I have been going no contact with my ex for a month now after a 2.5 year relationship. She didn't initiate any contact, and neither did I. I still
Ex Was Leading Me On But Slept With Another Man
My girlfriend of almost three years and I decided to break up after we had to move apart from each other. I had feelings for her and she felt very
Ex sincere or guilting me into a response?
Was with a girl for 1.5 years. Was great at first but during the 2nd half of our relationship it bacame draining for me. It would feel like I wasn't
Getting back with an ex but I'm really confused
So after 3 months of not being together we met up and spoke everything over, it was the worst 3 months ever but towards the end I had started to let
Ex continues viewing my story.
I posted this numerous times. As I am not worried of the issue however. I dated this girl for 4 years. Started from high school to now college. After
I keep screwing up I'm so hurt
I know what everyone is gunna say..... move on. Our friends suck they told her stuff to make her upset with me, than i got upset and blew up on her

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Where do you draw the line? GF's and guy friends
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica]Hey guys, need some quick help on this one. Please help [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica]Yesterday my GF says
OMG he has a wedding date.
All, A couple of years ago, I dated a guy. There were things that were amazing but also horrible. A little over a year ago, we reconnected. He
HELPPP!!! Boyfriend broke up with me out of the blue
hi. REALLY REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP. my boyfriend recently broke up with me out of the blue and we were dating for 2.5 years. everything was
Why does this bother me so much?
Hey guys. So gf of 7 years has left me for another guy again long story short and some of you know the long. So I did the unhealthy habit of looking
My girlfriend of 3 years just told me she is polyamorous
I have no idea how to feel about it. She assured me she didn't want to force it on me and could live monogamously with me but the thought of
Dealing with inconsiderate, selfish people from dawn till dusk.
Not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here it is. Lately my life seems to be about dealing with people who are inconsiderate. From
Toxic relationship // venting
Sometimes writing everything out helps me get a better understanding of certain situations. I'm sorry for the long post, I do want some advice, but
Ask For Advice