About a month ago I started birth control patches. I think it's called ortho evra or something of that sort. As of a couple weeks ago I've been feeling off. I don't know if it's caused by the birth control and it's messing with my hormones but I'm scared.

I googled how I felt. I feel like I'm in a dream and nothing's real. As of today I'm on a group trip with my friends and I've isolated myself in my room, pretending as though I'm tired but I'm just trying to recoup. I want this to go away.

It's my period week and I took the patch off 2 days ago and got my period today. I just feel so off! What's wrong with me? I'm usually an outgoing person and now I feel shut in.

Please help.

Keep the patch off and see if your symptoms subside. Not all women react the same to a birth control method, so you should consider another one, especially if you start to feel better after it's been off. Here are some details about this:

I was curious to ask if you were using it properly, as described in the site. It's hard to go off of "I feel like I'm in a dream and nothing's real", which I guess is sort of along the lines of a high feeling? I don't see that as a typical side effect for this, unless if a headache is associated with it. Perhaps the dosage is too much.

I'm not sure about effects of the patch, but in addition to what rainycoast said, feelings of derealization can also be caused by anxiety. I'm often more prone to anxiety during my period, so it makes sense that birth control messing with your hormones might cause the same thing. I'm sorry you're feeling this way - it's a crappy way to feel, for sure. Since you're away from home, try to find a "safe" person you can talk to about how you're feeling, whether it's one of your friends or calling your mom. Sometimes just voicing the anxiety and having someone tell you you're okay can help tremendously. Also, don't force yourself into any situation in which you feel uncomfortable until you're on a more even keel. If you need to stay in your room until you feel more relaxed, do so! Try to distract yourself with something soothing.

It's the patch. Change to a different birth control method, trust me...I was on pills forever but kept missing some so I'd bleed forever. I switched to NuvaRing and I became 100% crazy. Literally, I would burst into tears for no reason...just find what works for you.

Archived