How soon is too soon to leave a job?

wai

Hi ENA,

I'm sorry to come here only to complain.

Some of you might have read my previous posts. I recently started my new job about 2 weeks ago.

I was told at the interview and by my recruiter that i will be working on something that matches my skill set. Turns out they lied.

I cant stop thinking that i made the wrong decision by taking up on this opportunity. Can you guys advice me on how soon is too soon to leave a job?

The sooner the better, for all parties involved. But first, make a genuine effort to rectify the situation: Speak to somebody there about the issue and tell them what you want. Give them an opportunity to remedy things, and ask them to commit to a time table. If they are not willing to meet your demands, or if they do not make good on their commitment in the agreed upon window of time, put in your notice and move on.

Hi ENA,

I'm sorry to come here only to complain.

Some of you might have read my previous posts. I recently started my new job about 2 weeks ago.

I was told at the interview and by my recruiter that i will be working on something that matches my skill set. Turns out they lied.

I cant stop thinking that i made the wrong decision by taking up on this opportunity. Can you guys advice me on how soon is too soon to leave a job?

Does the job description that you agreed to (and signed) match what you're currently doing?

Make sure you have something else lined up before you put in your two weeks; if you don't but can go a few weeks without work, still put in a notice. Don't ever burn bridges with employers if you can help it.

I did this with college and it was a disaster. I wanted to go into a feild. They told me I cannot and to go into this. I hated it and it was a huge waste of time. I'd cut the losses as soon as possible.

I dont want to point fingers. It was also part of my fault for not trying to find out more before i said yes. I feel miserable everyday but everyone around me telling me to wait about 6 months and see if i like it. But i know exactly what i want and this is not it.

I was in a similar situation. I started a new job at the end of November and I could feel right away that it wasn't going to work. It wasn't the job the problem but the management.

I waited a bit but by the end of the second week, I went home crying and decided to leave. I started looking for a new job. During interviews, I was as honest as possible when they asked why I wanted to leave so soon, they all told me "I understand".

I found a new job and I quit 10 days ago, I'm starting tomorrow.

Don't hesitate ! Be honest, people can be understanding.

For your next interview, just explain what happened but use it as a learning opportunity and discussion point. "Unfortunately, it wasn't the right fit - I don't think we asked the right questions of each other regarding the role and the expectations, but I've learned from that. Can we clarify (this, that, or the other thing)?"

I was in a similar situation. I started a new job at the end of November and I could feel right away that it wasn't going to work. It wasn't the job the problem but the management.

I waited a bit but by the end of the second week, I went home crying and decided to leave. I started looking for a new job. During interviews, I was as honest as possible when they asked why I wanted to leave so soon, they all told me "I understand".

I found a new job and I quit 10 days ago, I'm starting tomorrow.

Don't hesitate ! Be honest, people can be understanding.

Im in the exact same situation. I met my colleagues from my old job for a drink last week and i cried the moment i saw them.

You can leave as soon as you want. Just don't expect to be able to use them as a reference or meaningful job history on a resume. One month isn't going to look much better than two weeks.

j.man, would the OP leave this job off of the resume, but include it in an official application? Just curious

j.man, would the OP leave this job off of the resume, but include it in an official application? Just curious

Very good question. I am also wondering myself. Do i put it on resume or not? Am I even allow to take it off?

Absolutely, you can leave it off of your resume. I leave stuff off my resume all the time, because every project in which I have been involved isn't relevant to every job that I want to win. I work in an industry where my resume must be continuously updated, so I am getting good at this!

But in your case, I don't think it would hurt you to leave it on your resume, because 1) the duration of this job has been very short, 2) you can explain your decision in a way that shows pro-activeness on your part,

After some consideration it became apparent that this was not as good a fit as expected with regard to my talents/skills and the company.

and 3) you will have parted ways with your employer in a respectful manner (hopefully).

Archived