I want a career and my Mom and Dad are holding me back on this one?

Hi there all long story short, I want to be an actor and I need to travel abroad for that and all.... My mom and dad are so against it. They believe acting is not a decent profession and I am so head over heels for it right now...I'm not sure what to do? I don't want to upset them by leaving them behind but they just don't understand I need to make certain decisions on my own... I am torn apart between what I want to do and what I have to do?

Anyone facing or has faced such a situation where parents may object to your career choice please let me know...What shall I do here...? they matter to me a lot and I love them? But at the same time I need to think of my future....

It just seems unfair that they play the parent card and that they are concerned about me...I know they are but why don't they understand my side of the things? I've tried a normal job and all? But my heart is not into the things I don't know...

Please advice on this...

Acting is not a very usual career choice so their apprehension about it is valid. I hope you know what you are against.

How old are you? Do you have a back up plan if this does not work out? Have you taken any acting classes?

Why don't you talk to your parents about it, explain to them that you need x number of years to try your luck in acting and if this does not work out, you have a back up plan. You should have a back up plan.

Acting takes YEARS of work and networking- you aren't selected on a whim. What kind of actor do you want to be- in a play or on film? Do you have any experience working in theater production besides doing a high school club? Have you contacted an actor agent? Have you been on any commercials? Have you been through casting before? All these factors matter before any director/producer decides to hire you.

I would talk to somebody who is in the field and do some research. There are a lot of starving actors out there who aren't making it.

My mother has objected to about 1000 life decisions I've made. I've also never asked her to fund said decisions, so there hasn't been an issue other than disapproval. If you're an adult, you're free to make your own choices. Is your concern losing a subsidy or financial safety net?

I would focus on all these posts (great input) and especially those with the practical suggestions and questions. If you need your parents' financial support they have the right to withhold it if they would not consider it a great investment of their own hard-earned money. But, if you get a job/part time job (many budding actors are waiters) and save $ to be able to subsidize your dream then while their input might be helpful to you you are free to disregard it.

You need to tell us how old you are! If you are a teen living at home then they can object to what you want to do. If you are older and on your own you can do what you want, just dont expect them to be happy about it or pay for it. There's millions of starving waiters and coffee shop workers just waiting for Hollywood to call them. Keep your options open.

I am 23 and I believe that I can do this (acting) if I set my heart to it. Actually I just started working as a teacher not finding anything else to do? Not that I don't respect the profession I do and am extremly qualified to teach...But in the long run of things that is not what I want to do...In terms of finances I have money saved up from my previous job. I am sure they are more than enough. If things don't work out i don't exactly have a plan B. I could go back to teaching. But I'll always want to keep trying for better.

My parents believe that I am just choosing this to run away from stuff. I don't know may be...But I believe the world to be so full of opportunities so why not take my chances out there.

They have experience so they could be right...But I have the passionand I m not sure I'm a mess!!...

I am 23 and I believe that I can do this (acting) if I set my heart to it. Actually I just started working as a teacher not finding anything else to do? Not that I don't respect the profession I do and am extremly qualified to teach...But in the long run of things that is not what I want to do...In terms of finances I have money saved up from my previous job. I am sure they are more than enough. If things don't work out i don't exactly have a plan B. I could go back to teaching. But I'll always want to keep trying for better.

My parents believe that I am just choosing this to run away from stuff. I don't know may be...But I believe the world to be so full of opportunities so why not take my chances out there.

They have experience so they could be right...But I have the passionand I m not sure I'm a mess!!...

I wouldn't go with "the world is so full of opportunities". Of course it is You owe it to yourself to get far more specific and focused -write it down if you need to -concerning what you want to do with your life in the next year (or 6 months or 5 years -find a way to focus and center yourself). Make a list of what you need to do to pursue an acting career. Figure out what your financial assets are, your savings goals, how long the $ will last, etc. See a financial planner if you need to. How about getting involved in community theater right now so you get more exposure? What kind of acting? Where have you studied? Who have you spoken to in the profession? What basis do you have for believing you have potential? Do you also sing/dance? Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

It is one thing to want to do something, but how well prepared are you to actually do this something. You have not addressed that issue, which is concerning to me, so perhaps it is what is concerning your parents. You need to have a game plan. :subdued: chi

Archived