Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irregular Period After Stopping Birth Control? Or Pregnant?

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    You don't need health insurance for PP. I went and it was something like $80 for an annual plus one month BC. A month of BC thereafter runs something like $30?

Honestly, if she wants to be on the pill, there's no excuse.

Please. Look in to Planned Parenthood.
    Okay. Thanks. Honestly, I've always felt safer using condoms and not ejaculating inside during intercourse than relying on my partner to consistently taker her BC pills. I know the stats favor BC slightly, but it assumes consistently taking the pill. At least with condoms and pulling out together I know what I am doing and have control. Anyway, sounds like the consensus is that the negative HPT combined with the other issues at play mean we're most likely safe here.

Originally Posted by vunit05
    As an international student her health coverage here in the US didn't cover it. So, we've been using condoms religiously and consistently. Moreover, I've never -- not even once -- ejaculated inside of her during intercourse. So, we're VERY cautious. I just don't have a lot of experience with this (obviously... I'm a man) so hearing that your partner hasn't had a period for a long time was concerning. After she took the HPT (and it was negative) she's 100% sure she's not. I'm, admittedly, a pretty paranoid person =)
    You are doing well. You are not being paranoid - it sounds like the two of you are just trying to be smart and responsible.

And you care about your partner's health. Never a bad thing!

I think that you are in the clear. HPTs are remarkable in their accuracy, for the most part. Including those you can buy at discount and dollar rates, save for for the display (the higher end ones often have a digital result window), the technology is effectively the same.

False negative results on a HPTs are even more rare, as compared to false positives, but both of them are statistically a low risk when the test is performed correctly.

Try not to worry!

Your logic is sound. And it's sweet you care so much.

If something happens - like the condoms break or you guys don't use them one time (for whatever reason) - PP has emergency contraception too.

It's just good to know you have options

Thank you both PPs. Makes me feel a lot better.

Please keep us updated, if you get a chance!

If you are concerned, she could always take another pregnancy test now - although I agree that the first should have been accurate.

Were her periods regular before she started birth control?

She could take another pregnancy test given it's been another month since her last test, of its still negative, I'd trust it. Not that I wouldn't trust the first one. But just to be sure.

Other than that, if you've always used condom religiously, and it never broke (that you're aware of), then no reason to be worried.

Why did she go off? Was there a problem? Is she going back to the doctor to find another method? You are using condoms and the hpt was negative so relax a bit this could be her hormones from the bc thing. Ask her to see her doctor about it.
    Originally Posted by vunit05
    my current girlfriend cycled off of BC this past fall. We are not trying to conceive and I have been using both condoms and withdrawal to avoid pregnancy. I'm concerned (even though she isn't) that her period has not returned. She thinks that it's because her cycle is screwed up due to having cycled off of the pill.

If cost is an issue, PP can work with her to get cheap or free birth control pills, based on her income level and such. There are resources out there.

Originally Posted by Dahl
    Please keep us updated, if you get a chance!
    Good news. Apparently, she got her period last Tuesday. She wasn't nervous/worried so she never even told me. I'm relieved (to say the last). Thanks for everyone's encouragement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice