Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irregular Period After Stopping Birth Control? Or Pregnant?

Irregular Period After Stopping Birth Control? Or Pregnant?

Forgive me (male poster) for intruding but I'm hoping some more experienced women can provide some insight to me. Long story short, my current girlfriend cycled off of BC this past fall. We are not trying to conceive and I have been using both condoms and withdrawal (consistently and together) to avoid pregnancy. My girlfriend's last period came on Christmas day. She took a HPT on February 7 which was negative (so she took this 43 days or so after her last period on Dec. 25th). Still, I'm concerned (even though she isn't) that her period has not returned. She thinks that it's because her cycle is screwed up due to having cycled off of the pill. Am I right to be concerned? Given how safe we were and the fact that she tested negative, everyone (including her) think I'm worrying unnecessarily about pregnancy. But, I'm not sure. FWIW, she hasn't experienced any symptoms (no sickness or extreme fatigue), although she has gained some weight (mainly due to diet and stress in her life right now). Thoughts/advice?

She could be pregnant, but her body may be freaking out. I suggest you both go see her Gyn and talk through your current birth control methods and your concerns.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    She could be pregnant, but her body may be freaking out. I suggest you both go see her Gyn and talk through your current birth control methods and your concerns.
    What do you mean her body may be freaking out? Are Home Pregnancy Tests usually accurate when taken 14 days after a missed period? Again she tested negatively. Unfortunately she doesn't have a gyn here in the USA (she's studying from abroad). Also, she's simply not concerned and doesn't want to see anyone. She says I'm being irrational because I've never ejaculated inside of her and always worn a condom and with her negative test she simply thinks I'm nuts and overly paranoid. So back to my original question: does cycling off birth control lead to irregular periods ever?

Platinum Member
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does. Going On to birth control can make them go whack.

Originally Posted by vunit05
    What do you mean her body may be freaking out? Are Home Pregnancy Tests usually accurate when taken 14 days after a missed period? Again she tested negatively. Unfortunately she doesn't have a gyn here in the USA (she's studying from abroad). Also, she's simply not concerned and doesn't want to see anyone. She says I'm being irrational because I've never ejaculated inside of her and always worn a condom and with her negative test she simply thinks I'm nuts and overly paranoid. So back to my original question: does cycling off birth control lead to irregular periods ever?
    Cycling off birth control frequently and harmlessly does indeed lead to irregular cycles, as well as changes to one's cycle, itself.

HPTs are astonishingly accurate when used correctly, and it certainly sounds like you have. At two weeks after her missed start date, *if* she were pregnant, she would already be gestationally pregnant for four weeks, not just two, so yes, more likely than anything else, the test was reporting correctly.

I strongly suspect that she is not pregnant.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dahl; 03-06-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spell fail

Platinum Member
    I'd say you are fine if you look at the facts that you stated. Why is she getting off the birth control if you have this paranoia?

Irregular Period After Stopping Birth Control? Or Pregnant?

Body freaking out = hormones out of whack. I was PMSing last week and there was a marginally, remotely, sort of cute moment on TV and I cried. There was no reason I should have cried.

My skin got upset.

I had weird cravings.

And that was just a normal hormone cycle. Imagine how cutting off hormonal BC can impact things.

She's in the US? Then check out Planned Parenthood. Don't need a designated gynecologist to go there.

ETA: it could impact periods, but I don't know. Which is why you need to go to a Dr *together*

Originally Posted by Matt3939
    I'd say you are fine if you look at the facts that you stated. Why is she getting off the birth control if you have this paranoia?
    As an international student her health coverage here in the US didn't cover it. So, we've been using condoms religiously and consistently. Moreover, I've never -- not even once -- ejaculated inside of her during intercourse. So, we're VERY cautious. I just don't have a lot of experience with this (obviously... I'm a man) so hearing that your partner hasn't had a period for a long time was concerning. After she took the HPT (and it was negative) she's 100% sure she's not. I'm, admittedly, a pretty paranoid person =)

When I went off of hormonal
    BC (was not trying to conceive either) my periods were kind of irregular for a while. They are more normal now though. But for a while, it was wonky.

You don't need health insurance for PP. I went and it was something like $80 for an annual plus one month BC. A month of BC thereafter runs something like $30?

Honestly, if she wants to be on the pill, there's no excuse.

Please. Look in to Planned Parenthood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice