Tips on how detach from materialistic "stuff"?

jennylove

It's so crazy to realize how different I am now compared to only 3 years ago. Back then, I wanted the whole Martha Stewart life- a nice place with modern furniture and decorated like a magazine cover.

I pride myself in my decorating/painting skills and I managed to decorate my house for cheap. But I spent a pretty Penney on my bedroom furniture and living room furniture. I paid it all off just over a year ago. But now I'm never home to enjoy any of it. And even when I am home, it's "whatever" to me. I've done some solo traveling overseas over the past 3 years and I'm now all about living a simple life at home, shopping st GW, and just traveling as much as I possibly can. I guess you can say that I've found myself? Great!

I live in a small town, same boring town that I grew up in. My place is paid off. But I'm not too happy here. I'm most happy in Florida or Chicago. But between Chicago and Florida, I've decided that Florida is best for me. I will have no problems selling my condo here in my hometown. I cannot rent it or do Airbnb because of the strict bylaws. I'd sell it and at least break even, and then take my money and downsize to a smaller condo in Florida without taking a mortgage out. My plan is to make this happen by Spring 2018. I've been looking online and there are plenty of condos in Florida within my budget, but they are truly very small. Which is fine, I want cozy. but I'm having a hard time with the idea of letting my big bedroom outfit go. I spent 5k on it alone just 3 years ago. I'm sure I could sell it on Craigslist, but I won't get much for it. I can't bring it with me because it's just too big!! It won't fit in a small bedroom. The bedrooms are small that I've been looking at. but when I think about selling it, it upsets me because that's a lot of money down the drain. I feel like it would be easier for me to let go if I owned it for a few more years. I can stay in my condo for a few more years and just keep saving and travel when I'm able to, get some pleasure from it when I'm home, and THEN sell it in CL. It is an option and not such a bad idea to just stay here for a few more. But I'm not sure it's wort it! How can I detach myself from this furniture!

Americans and our "STUFF"

I have seen a rise in people NEEDING things to feel happy or successful. The newest phone, a new car, the biggest bedroom set you can fit into your house...

Nearly everything we buy is worth less the second we make the purchase. That is a fact but how we view the true value of that purchase is totally up to us. Like you mentioned you view it as "whatever" as it has become just a thing to sleep on and store your clothes in.

I have been on a mission to get rid of stuff for several years now and I feel so much better when I do. I live in a big house on 3 acres so I have plenty of room but the one thing I do not have is plenty of time to enjoy, maintain or share the stuff I do have.

Selling things is about timing. If you are jammed up and need to sell something fast you end up settling for much less than you want but if you have plenty of time to sell the items you can turn down offers that don't come close. I say post the set on CL for a decent value and possibly look into a consignment store and see how much of a percentage they take off the top for selling your stuff. If you paid 5K 3 years ago and figure you got $1500 worth of enjoyment out of it that leaves $3,500 of supposed value. If you can sell the set for $2,500 now you only loose 1K.

If you sell it early you can buy a smaller set off CL and see how you like living like that BEFORE the move into a small condo in Florida.

I think you are on the right track for your life. Sometimes our life path changes and we need to take a hit financially and emotionally.

Lost

it upsets me because that's a lot of money down the drain.

Look at it from a bigger perspective.:

1. You've had a nice bedroom set for 3 years, so give it a nightly $ rate. (How much would it have cost to rent it, or stay in a furnished apartment, or chiropractic visits for a bad back from a bad mattress, or lost sleep from an uncomfortable bed)

2. Moving it costs $

3. Renting an apartment big enough for it costs $

4. Learning what you truly want and value NOW = priceless

5. You can sell it and recoup some of the money plus you'll be saving the money it costs to move it and saving the cost of renting a bigger apartment each month.

Nearly everything we buy is worth less the second we make the purchase. t

This is why I will never buy a brand-new car off the lot, even if I was loaded. The best is to buy a two-year used car with warranty left on it.

I always scratch my head "WHY?" when one of my friends shows up with next year's model. So dumb.

Although Hermes and Chanel handbags actually gain value with time (SMIRK)

If you paid 5K 3 years ago and figure you got $1500 worth of enjoyment out of it that leaves $3,500 of supposed value. If you can sell the set for $2,500 now you only loose 1K.

t

If I really want something, I do this simple calculation in my mind of how long I plan to use it. For example, I really wanted an Alexander McQueen handbag $1600. Yes, it sounds horrible. At the time I was going through horrible breakup and selling our house so I was looking for any amount of happiness. That was five years ago, and I've used that handbag every day since. If you divide the costs per use, that would be .85 cents a day. I don't drink Starbucks and rarely drink alcohol. I could afford .85 cents a day. And if it came time to sell it on ebay, I could still get $900 bucks for it.

Include the bedroom furniture with the cost of the condo when you sell. If you've got a good "eye" and it fits nicely with the place, some buyer will appreciate it.

AND… you won't have to disassemble it, or let strangers come into your bedroom to show it.

First of all thank you ALL!!! I just want to say I'm not very forum savvy and I need to figure out how to bubble and quote different posters under one reply. Sorry got not knowing how to do that, I'll figure it out later.

Selling my furniture with my house is genious! I may try that!! Not sure my place will get appraised at that amount, it hasn't appreciated very much since I bought it. I figure I'd at least break even or get slightly more. I'll try it thigh, who knows

I've picked up and moved from state to state 6 times in my adult life. While I quickly learned not to buy anything I wasn't willing to ditch, the one thing I've always splurged on has been an entrainment room. Never gets easier to Craigslist it and leave it behind. Plus electronics keep like none of their value.

I don't know why, but it helps to take the loss after reselling and break it down monthly for however many months I had it all. So $4800 down the drain after two years (made up example), I'd think of it as having paid $200 to enjoy having an amazing entertainment room in my home.

But I will say including the furniture is an awesome idea.

You mentioned your place is paid for. That is a nice advantage many people don't have. Your furniture can be sold for half of what you paid for it, but without a mortgage, you are still way ahead of the game. Some pay more interest on their mortgage in a few months than the value of your furniture.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Love all the responses. Ya'll have really helped me to look at things thru a different lens.

When I'm ready for this move next year, ny furniture attachment may not be much of an issue with me by then. Who knows! But I think I'll try to sell it with my condo when that time comes. If that doesn't pan out, I'll just sell on Craigslist. I may take a huge loss on CL, but I betcha I'll end up buying a nice bedroom outfit off of Craigslist-Florida for a "steal" from someone, so I think it'll all even out. 😀😀😀

Archived