The boss always calls on me when someone at front desk need help

sd95

When there are other people in my position who are available. So I try not to show my frustration around the boss but never understood why. I guess It's not such a bad thing that I'm the first person she thinks of when the front desk needs help. So I started to question my boss and ask why but then something said don't bother.

Is this the right decision?

Yes. We all have a scheduled day to deal with people applying for childcare but on Tues and Thurs there is no one to interview the public from 12pm to 1pm. So that's when they call me. Last week I was wondering why me and the other person wasn't being called together. But I expect to be called today and won't make a issue about it

No, it's not. If it's not unethical and if it doesn't take away from your ability to fulfill your own duties, you just do it. If it precludes you from accomplishing your own responsibilities, voice it. Don't simply say no or ask why.

The entire idea of the scope of employment is why I and many others greatly prefer refusing employment in favor of contracting and only being responsible for a restricted and explicitly stated list of duties. If you're an employee, your duties are more or less subject to the whim of your employer / supervisor.

It's most probably because in your boss's eyes you are good at it and likely much better and more effective than others. Usually it's as simple as that. It's a positive in the sense that if there are lay offs or staff cuts, you are likely the person they will hang on to for dear life. Bringing additional abilities to the table and pitching in helps.

It's only a negative if you are being overworked, in which case you need to talk to your boss about it.

When there are other people in my position who are available. So I try not to show my frustration around the boss but never understood why. I guess It's not such a bad thing that I'm the first person she thinks of when the front desk needs help. So I started to question my boss and ask why but then something said don't bother.

Is this the right decision?

I'm not understanding why this bothers you. Please elaborate.

I guess because the other person who was also available was also at her desk but was never called along with me. It was just me and I was confused as to why when we both were available from 12pm to 1pm

Based on your post, I agree with the others that this is a positive reflection of your services to your company.

Particularly when you are pressed into service front and center like this.

My guess is that your boss has the most confidence in you and that's why you are the first/only choice so often.

Is it causing your general workload to become unbalanced?

Archived