Getting married in 3 months...

am1701

So my fiance' and I are getting married in 3 months - and recently I started having a lot of doubts about our relationship and the wedding that's coming soon. I feel he is distant, yet when I talk to him he tells me that it is not true and gets angry at me. He keeps saying that he is stressed because of work, etc. He is a really great guy, always treated me very well and I know he loves me so much. I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him a couple of days after we started dating - we complete each other in a way I have never felt before in my life.

I know his every move and I know he's not cheating on me or doing anything stupid - could it be that he is having the same doubts as I am and not talking about them? He has always told me that his wish is to get married and have a family, because he really wants to be a daddy - which is something I want too, I really can't wait to have children.

Is it normal to have doubts before getting married or am I the only crazy one here? I just feel like my brain is going to burst. I want to be calm and focused and want to enjoy the last 3 months because I really cannot wait to be married to the love of my life - it's just that I have this voices in the back of my head that are driving me mad!

I think it's normal to feel a little nervous but when you say you "have a LOT of doubt", then I think you should trust your gut instinct. I always say "when in doubt, DON'T". It is a lot cheaper cancelling a wedding than getting a divorce and a lot less messy too. You need to think very carefully about this or live with regret and wishing you never got married.

Maybe time to re-think the relationship.

Okay, so writing a lot was exaggerated from my end. I am having a few doubts - the 'till death do us apart' thing is worrying me and I keep asking myself if he is really the right one, when deep down I know he is - I have known this since I met him. I think I might be just getting cold feet and thinking too much about this when I shouldn't. We've been living together for 5 months and things have been great, getting married isn't going to change things so much!

Things I've done even though I've had doubts:

- Tried "bratwurst and beer" flavored potato chips

- Bought jeans online

- Gone out to brunch

- Played basketball with black dudes two feet taller than me

- Guessed an answer while watching Jeapordy

Things I have not and would never do if I have doubts:

- Get married

- Anything life changing that could and most likely would hurt someone I purport to love should it not work out

As far as "feeling" like he's distant, there's not much we can do to objectively validate them just as "feelings." Why exactly do you feel he's distant? How often are you bringing this up to him? In what way? Have you two started pre-marital counseling?

How long have you been together? Are your doubts specifically from this relationship or from your past?

Premarital counselling will help tremendously. It will open the dialogue and cover things like communicating, finances, sex, in-laws, kids, values, goals ,etc. and address any snags and concerns either of you have. That's a better investment than any fancy wedding stuff.

At this point, needling him to spill the beans when there may not be any is your anxiety being thrust onto him. No good. Start looking up premarital counseling instead .

We've been living together for 5 months and things have been great, getting married isn't going to change things so much!

Are you having a large wedding that you have to pay a lot of money for, and he doesn't want to say anything because he wants you to be happy? Have you had communication issues before, or is it just lately?

Is his work stressful? Has planning the wedding been stressful?

I remember most times when I talk to a guy who's being really weird before the wedding, it's usually because he wants everything to go great. If you've always been able to tell eachother things, then really it's time to check in with eachother. Take a week off from wedding planning/stuff. And just make some awesome meals together, and get your freak on.

Now if you find you can never really talk to him, then I would rethink getting married, or taking a premarital class.

I am having a few doubts - the 'till death do us apart' thing is worrying me and I keep asking myself if he is really the right one,

um..... hello!!! Wow, if that's not huge doubt then I don't know what it. Marriage IS "till death do us part". Clearly you have doubts that you want to be with this guy for the rest of your life. The writing is on the wall here - you're going to ignore the red flags and get married anyway. Just know, in time, you'll end up posting in the Divorce forum.

I guess all we can do is say good luck.

Archived