Trying to help the BF get a visa to study in the US or a western country

wasabiwitt

My boyfriend is Nepalese. I'm American. We live together in China- I work full time. He is in the last year of a 6 year bachelors in Medicine program. In July, he takes his final exam.

At the end of August he's going back home to study for 6 months so he can pass his licensure exam to become a licensed doctor in his home country. He has no intention of living/working in Nepal with just a bachelors. His plan is to try to get into a master's/PHD program in a western country. Namely: Singapore, Canada, NZ, Australia, Germany, UK, or USA.

Since I am American, I would love for him to be able to come study here. That way I can be close to my family, and he can live in Miami with me (beach, year round summer- he's never lived somewhere like that before). However, if that can't happen- I am perfectly capable of living in any of those places (but Germany would be hard).

The issue is getting into medical school in the US is that its tougher for international applicants. And its the most expensive of any place we've looked into. I am completely flexible about where i live, but living near my mother would be such blessing for me. My Mom has a friend who is going to become a Physician's Assistant. Its a 2 year program and you can add medical school training if you wish to upgrade to be a full on Physician.

I told him about it, but he's made it clear that he wants to be a doctor not an assistant. He is also very hopeless about being accepted to study in America at all, because he applied for a student visa many times (for B.S degree). Its a lottery. He's lost the draw 3-4 times as an undergrad. He has wanted to come here since he was 18. But until he met me he's put that on the back burner as it seemed like a goal that would be harder to achieve. (in case you're are wondering, he's not with me just to get a green card. He's with me because we are awesome together and he loves me).

Our relationship is quite serious. I love him, and I want to build a life with him. He wants the same.

Questions:

1. Would it be easier to apply for a student visa if he and I were married? (something we've talked about, but haven't finalized because we want to get married for love at the right time- not for a visa). (Also, we've been together for a year.)

2. Is it less competitive to apply for Physician's Assistant Programs than medical school?

3. How can I convince him that going through the trouble of applying for american med school is worth it?

4. Any other advice as to how we should go about planning this?

We've got time. It could take him up to a year to pass his doctor's exam in Nepal.

In the meantime, I am going to take a high paying gig in a bigger city in China while going to school online for my Master's. I'll visit him a few times a year.

I just feel worried that this dream we have of him doing his med school in Miami won't be a reality unless we take the plunge and get married... not very romantic reason do such a thing. And marrying someone you've been with for a year? I don't know, I suppose its not that short. And he is my world. I have no doubts we would continue to be awesome... but people should marry for love, not a visa.

If you are married, he won't need a student visa. He would be able to get a green card and then citizenship.

If he wants to be a doctor, don't get in his way.

Student visa is not a lottery. It's actually tied in with capacity to pay for the education, which is astronomical for foreign students, combined with capacity to pay living costs. If he can't prove/show him and his family are well off enough to fund all that, then no visa.

Finally, if he becomes a full fledged licensed doctor, he would actually qualify for additional visas specific to the medical field to come to the US.

I think you need to consult with an actual licensed immigration attorney in the US about the various options and visas available and how to go about it, including what information must be presented to the consulate office in order to get approval. Stop trying to do this by yourselves. It's complicated, literally. Consult over phone, and hire one if you are serious about this.

I am married to a Filipino immigrant. However I met my husband in college in the US.

I really hope you are paying close attention to American politics because as of right now, there is a massive change taking place with the immigration policy since Trump stepped in office. The process for immigrants to come in is getting tougher.

1. Would it be easier to apply for a student visa if he and I were married? (something we've talked about, but haven't finalized because we want to get married for love at the right time- not for a visa).

No, and please do not do this. Do not marry a person just to help him get citizenship. There have been many stories of guys taking advantage of women with marriage for citizenship and once they have it, they disappear.

Just because you are married to a non-US citizen does not mean it speeds up the immigration process anymore. Times have changed now. In fact non-US spouses are being DEPORTED.

3. How can I convince him that going through the trouble of applying for american med school is worth it?

This is something he has to figure out for himself. He has to be the one who makes this decision, not you.

4. Any other advice as to how we should go about planning this?

To be honest, you have invested so much into this person who've you've known for one year to be talking about marriage- and not for the right reasons. You need to take a huge step back and see what plans/sacrifices/investments he has made in this relationship. If he is not willing to come home with you and you want to go back to the US, then sorry to say this... this relationship isn't going to work.

I guess it'd be easier in Europe than in US. Especially because most european countries have "minority quota" that is largelly unfulfilled and they happily take studenta from outside to fill it up.

A lot of students from the "lesser grade spectrum" from my country go to study in germany,because they have it easier to get into the college as strangers than in my country as natives.

Only hard thing is language barrier.

Even if you get married, it has no bearing on being accepted to medical school. if you want to further restrict that to med school near your family you reduce his chances significantly.

Let him manage his own medical school search and study in a country/area that offers the best situation for him, such as scholarships, student visas, etc.

Try not to hinder him so much by insisting on living near to your mother. It seems he's thinking logically and you are thinking emotionally.

I can be close to my family. He is also very hopeless about being accepted to study in America at all, because he applied for a student visa many times
I guess it'd be easier in Europe than in US. Especially because most european countries have "minority quota" that is largelly unfulfilled and they happily take studenta from outside to fill it up.

Yea life is so GREAT in Europe! Just ask the Swedes about that amazing "party" they had last weekend.

A lot of students from the "lesser grade spectrum" from my country go to study in germany,because they have it easier to get into the college as strangers than in my country as natives.

That's because German universities aren't charging students tuition. But don't forget about their outrageous tax system. And Germany is having multiple problems with immigration too.

The OP wants to go back home the US. To be near her family. Europe - with the amount of problems it has with immigration - isn't an option right now. Her man doesn't seem to want to move anywhere either than what he said.

Archived