Ask For Advice

Thread: Judgemental dad, how do i handle it

chocolate_86
    Bronze Member

Judgemental dad, how do i handle it

My dad hates that my boyfriend and i rent. And he is vocal about it. He even said he isn't comfortable at our place and that its a dump.
    He goes on and on. "I can't believe your paying this much to live here, you should move "blah blah blah.

Now its not a palace by any means, but its clean and apart from a few cracks in the walls from structure damage its good. And its quite big for an apartment.

We never ask my mum and dad for money or his mum and dad, we pay for everything ourselves. We budget and we save. We both work full time.

He even calls me and asks me whats our savings account looking like.

My mum doesn't do this. She never makes any judgement or asks any questions about our finances.

How do i deal with this?

Wiseman2
    Minimize these conversations. Just keep saying 'we're doing fine, thanks' and change the subject. Does he object to you living together or not living at home? Does he object to your bf?
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolate_86 [Register to see the link]
    My dad hates that my boyfriend and i rent.
    He even calls me and asks me whats our savings account looking like.

DancingFool
    Next time he tells you that you shouldn't be living there, ask him what his solution to that is. Either he will quickly pipe down because he doesn't have one or he will tell you what's eating at him and what his advice is. Be prepared to hear him out, murmur some platitudes about how you will consider it or are working toward that and drop the convo. Don't start an argument.

Sounds like he is anxious for you and your well being, but is expressing it poorly. Maybe consider just reassuring him that you are doing well and are secure and happy instead of getting defensive and reacting like he is criticizing you.

4. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    journeynow
    I'd deflect it. "I love you, Dad." Don't engage in the topic. Don't agree or disagree, but saying "I love you, Dad" simply acknowledges him. Or if you can't bring yourself to say that, simply change the subject to a hobby or interest of his. When my dad was alive, I'd ask him about computers, weather, movies, or how he was feeling. Sometimes when he was really stuck on a divisive topic I'd have to say (as cheerfully as possible) "Let's talk about something else!" It really was about me training myself not to take the bait, and to steer the conversation to something better for me.

6. Thanks RainyCoast, Wiseman2 thanked for this post
Top Threads
Husband's cousin is not moving out.
Hi all, I have a very serious problem and would love to get some advise on this - My husband's cousin is not moving out even after 4
Sister tells me her personal problems but balks when I give advice
It's usually relationship problems but sometimes it's just career path struggles or other things. She lives in another state so we don't see each
My dad was the executer of my grandma's estate...
My grandma died 6 years ago, it's safe to say she died a millionaire or pretty close to it. My dad was the executor. I recently found out that after
Abusive brother
Hello everyone... I rarely talk to anyone about this besides my boyfriend and best friends. This has been an issue for me since i began going to
My 8 year old won't go to sleep or stay asleep 😣😣
Feel like I am losing my mind. My 8 year old just won't go to bed.. or she at least won't stay in bed. She is still up now at 9.45pm (after being
How do I handle my ex-wifes new fiance?
I have been divorced a little over 3 years and my ex-wife who left me for a guy she met online is engaged for a second time. She was dating two
Husbands ex-wife is never accountable
So, I am not sure where to begin, but I'll give you all some background. I met my husband in 2012 when his daughter was 3, almost 4, and he was fresh

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
I didnt know this was cheating until i saw how much it hurt him
So my boyfriend and I have been together 8 months. It's been pretty close to perfect over all until last weekend. We trusted each other before this
Interview Vibes
Hello, eNA! I have posted a few times about my career search - thank you all for the help! I've been having a lot more luck lately and have four
Ex from seven years ago married
My ex from seven years got married in November 2016 he began dating this girl eight months after dumping me.hiw have I found this out? By the
❌Did i just get stood up????❌
A few weeks ago this guy and i started texting. It was a pretty instant interest right from the start, on both ends. He kept telling me how
HELP My boyfriend blocked me after an argument
Almost 3 weeks ago me and my (EX) boyfriend that ive been seeing for about a year had a huge explosive and petty fight over him being selfish/ self
My wife has zero trust in me
So we have been married for about 8 months now, everything was fine prior to marriage. From the day we got married to today, it has been a living
21, in a relationship and sexually frustrated
I'm 21 (female) and I'm dating a 28 year old. Ive had my round of men before him so I know exactly what I like during sex and he's PERFECT. But what
Ask For Advice