Ask For Advice

Thread: Judgemental dad, how do i handle it

chocolate_86
    Bronze Member

Judgemental dad, how do i handle it

My dad hates that my boyfriend and i rent. And he is vocal about it. He even said he isn't comfortable at our place and that its a dump.
    He goes on and on. "I can't believe your paying this much to live here, you should move "blah blah blah.

Now its not a palace by any means, but its clean and apart from a few cracks in the walls from structure damage its good. And its quite big for an apartment.

We never ask my mum and dad for money or his mum and dad, we pay for everything ourselves. We budget and we save. We both work full time.

He even calls me and asks me whats our savings account looking like.

My mum doesn't do this. She never makes any judgement or asks any questions about our finances.

How do i deal with this?

Wiseman2
    Minimize these conversations. Just keep saying 'we're doing fine, thanks' and change the subject. Does he object to you living together or not living at home? Does he object to your bf?
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolate_86 [Register to see the link]
    My dad hates that my boyfriend and i rent.
    He even calls me and asks me whats our savings account looking like.

DancingFool
    Next time he tells you that you shouldn't be living there, ask him what his solution to that is. Either he will quickly pipe down because he doesn't have one or he will tell you what's eating at him and what his advice is. Be prepared to hear him out, murmur some platitudes about how you will consider it or are working toward that and drop the convo. Don't start an argument.

Sounds like he is anxious for you and your well being, but is expressing it poorly. Maybe consider just reassuring him that you are doing well and are secure and happy instead of getting defensive and reacting like he is criticizing you.

journeynow
    I'd deflect it. "I love you, Dad." Don't engage in the topic. Don't agree or disagree, but saying "I love you, Dad" simply acknowledges him. Or if you can't bring yourself to say that, simply change the subject to a hobby or interest of his. When my dad was alive, I'd ask him about computers, weather, movies, or how he was feeling. Sometimes when he was really stuck on a divisive topic I'd have to say (as cheerfully as possible) "Let's talk about something else!" It really was about me training myself not to take the bait, and to steer the conversation to something better for me.

Top Threads
Mom unsure about letting me travel overseas with friends? How to convince her?
So my friends and I started planning a trip to Germany next year (we're from the US). We're getting everything figured out and so far most of my
Feeling blue around a family member
I think I may be part of a narcissist family dynamic. Reasons being due to my own feelings and experiences, and from the responses from other posters
I don't feel emotionally available to my mother. Is that bad?
My mother currently lives with me and my girlfriend because she's been unable to find work and no one else is able to support. It's not ideal

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice