I have an eating disorder, and while I think I eat too much, people think I eat too little, including my husband. I really suck at this three meals a day, because I'm so afraid of getting fat. I am getting counseling, and I'm in the care of a doctor, but all this is taking a toll on me, my husband and our marriage. I feel not only guilty for stressing him out with my eating disorder, I also can't make myself eat three meals a day, even when I get hungry. I often ignore my hunger. I feel like I'm running in a hamster wheel with this stupid eating disorder. Any advice?

I have an eating disorder, and while I think I eat too much, people think I eat too little, including my husband. I really suck at this three meals a day, because I'm so afraid of getting fat. I am getting counseling, and I'm in the care of a doctor, but all this is taking a toll on me, my husband and our marriage. I feel not only guilty for stressing him out with my eating disorder, I also can't make myself eat three meals a day, even when I get hungry. I often ignore my hunger. I feel like I'm running in a hamster wheel with this stupid eating disorder. Any advice?

I was going to advise that you seek professional counseling/therapy but you are already doing that. You are also in the care of a doctor and that's a good thing! Keep up with both.

Perhaps marriage counseling would help generally.

You need to eat when you're hungry. And I'm sure your doctor and psychologist are telling you this - but you need to get in the practice.

Have vegetables and fruit around. Graze on those when you're hungry. If a doctor agrees, start tracking calories - then you'll see, mathematically, that not only will you not gain weight but that you also aren't eating enough.

Eating disorders are very dangerous (which I'm sure you know) so you really need to start by paying attention to your own body. Hunger pangs are a sign

Read The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. I've lost 25 pounds and also put on muscle, lowered blood pressure, cleared up eczema, etc. by following his recommendations.

By eating whole, plant based foods it's basically impossible to to overeat because of the calorie density. I eat all the potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, beans, and rice I want with some fruits and vegetables.

Also, go to YouTube and watch a lecture by Dr. Doug Lisle on what he calls The Pleasure Trap. It's very enlightening on why people overeat and do other things they know are bad for them. What's interesting is that it's more instinctual than emotional; basically, surrounded 24/7 by overly rich food our natural instincts end up working against us. Rats in a laboratory without any emotional problems will eat themselves to death on chocolate given the opportunity.

• 4 months later...

Maybe instead of 3 large meals a day, it would be a good idea to eat smaller meals more often? Things that are pretty quick and easy to make. That could make things easier without feeling like you might be eating too much at one time and of course, whatever your doctor advises

It's not about the food.

I agree --- an eating disorder is NOT about changing to an all plant diet and everything will be assume -- its a mental disorder that needs to be healed -- not a matter of giving someone tips to stay thin. The MIND and emotions needs to be healed. Giving someone one more diet so their mind can have a whole new list of things to restrict and a whole new list of rules is not productive when someone has an illness. Its not a fitness issue

I agree --- an eating disorder is NOT about changing to an all plant diet and everything will be assume -- its a mental disorder that needs to be healed -- not a matter of giving someone tips to stay thin. The MIND and emotions needs to be healed. Giving someone one more diet so their mind can have a whole new list of things to restrict and a whole new list of rules is not productive when someone has an illness. Its not a fitness issue

It's not about tips to being thin. It's about understanding the fundamental reasons why people develop an unhealthy relationship with food (it's generally our natural instincts working aginst us) and understanding how to how to escape that trap and eat in a healthy way both physically and emotionally.

Did you happen to watch that link? If so, which part did you think Dr. Doug Lisle got wrong? He talks a lot about eating disorders and how they happen in other webinars, "emtional eating", etc.

Archived