Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suffocating

yatsue
    Bronze Member

Suffocating

I need some help. My toxic, retired father is suffocating me after I have moved out of my parents' house. We have had a lot of tension build up for a long time, due to his overbearing, volatile nature, which I would even go as far as classifying as abusive with his extreme temper. I have recently got a new job and moved to the city, however he is not respecting my new autonomy at all. He said he expects me to respond to all of his calls, texts, voice mails (there are multiple of almost each a day) within 24 hours. They aren't even anything that needs attention on and are redundant.

I have been extremely busy getting my life together and have terrible reception in my place. I am switching to a new carrier, although this is beside the point. He does not understand I am not available all the time. I do respond, but I really rather create distance from him because he is unpleasant to be around. He creates fights when he doesn't get what he wants all the time and I'm so tired of this. How do I create space? I want to distance myself from him. I am not sure how to even begin to do this because the tiniest bit of space sets him off. I've been gone only for a week!

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Do not answer his texts or talk to him. He keeps getting his way if you do. He has no reason to change the way he is if you answer his text or respond to him . I know it is difficult but just don't .

3. Thanks j.man, Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    j.man
    So just don't answer the phone or respond to his texts. You can set your phone to not even notify you when a certain number tries to reach you. You're not living at home so it's not like there's any tangible consequence.

Are you financially independent of him? If not, I'd consider it so that there's really nothing for him to hold over you.

5. Thanks derroax, Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    yatsue
    Bronze Member
    That is so hard: not to respond. Don't get me wrong, I would love not to but I love my mother and brother. If I lose communication with my father, I lose them too (hence, the consequence). I won't be able to talk to my mother or come visit for sure. I don't want to completely disconnect, just to have less contact. Is there no other way? I feel like I'm getting sick again with all of this stress; it's really taking a toll on my body.

I am financially independent. I can pay for anything I need and have substantial savings. Although, that's not my concern, unfortunately. If he does get angry, I will communicate that I will not respond until he is calm and respectful. This would probably be said to my mother to relay to him, since she's pretty good at this. I just want peace and be with my family.

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Ask your mom out for coffee with you.

Andrina
    If it were me, I'd tell him that I'm not going to be the go-to for his social life. Advise him to do volunteer work or join a bowling league or a book discussion group, etc. I'd tell him that I would have a standing lunch date with him once a month to catch up. Other than that, he's not to text or call because you're busy setting up your new life and you don't particularly like texting or talking on the phone. I'm sure if it's an emergency, your mother will call you. If you do meet up with him, and he is abusive, you get up and leave. You have to teach people that if they don't treat you right, they will lose the pleasure of your company. There are books out there about boundary setting that might give you some more concrete advise.

j.man
    Quote Originally Posted by yatsue [Register to see the link]
    That is so hard: not to respond. Don't get me wrong, I would love not to but I love my mother and brother. If I lose communication with my father, I lose them too (hence, the consequence). I won't be able to talk to my mother or come visit for sure. I don't want to completely disconnect, just to have less contact. Is there no other way? I feel like I'm getting sick again with all of this stress; it's really taking a toll on my body.

I am financially independent. I can pay for anything I need and have substantial savings. Although, that's not my concern, unfortunately.
    I don't ask as a matter of can you pay for everything you need, but whether you do. Not as an attack, but to ensure there's no power over you.

Do your other family members have their own phone numbers? Email addresses? Some form of their own method of correspondence? Plead your case to them individually if you're worried about this result.

yatsue
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~ [Register to see the link]
    Ask your mom out for coffee with you.
    It's not that simple; he has too much control over my mother. He would never allow it if I didn't talk to him. She has been in abusive relationships and tolerates unreasonable behavior such as his, even thinks it's not as bad as other previous partner's were.

What I meant by financially independent, yes I do pay for everything. Now I do since moving out.

Hmm, boundary setting books would be great. To amazon!

~Seraphim ~
    I am sorry that you are in such a position. Unfortunately you can't save your mom either she's the one that has to do that . My dad's a horribly abusive person as well, but I am lucky as my mom has not been with him in over 25 years . But when my dad's abusive which could be for months and months and months at a time I just don't talk to him .

Wiseman2
    Agree with everyone. Don't feed or reward this behavior. Let texts/calls go to VM or answer once a day or less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
How should I kick my mother out when the time comes?
My mother currently lives with me and my girlfriend and she is aware that in another year my girlfriend and I want to make some big life changes and
Trying to hold my new family together
I had a baby 6.5 weeks ago, me and the father live together, broke up a month ago, but kinda together now, well, I've agreed to stay and try so's not
An update on my last thread about my mom having affairs.
So I hd written a long paragraph about my mum having affairs on the last thread. So according to majority of the advises that I received I stayed
This wedding is tearing my family apart
My sister is getting married to her boyfriend of 2 years, and it's been tearing everyone apart. Honestly, I'm not even sure where to begin on this
Continuous Issues with my Mother
Haven't posted in quite a while and when I did it was on the same subject. To make a long story short, I've had issues with my mother since I
I'm starting to realize that my mother will need to live with me for a while
My mother lives with me and my girlfriend now. The plans my girlfriend and I had before my mother moved in was to set things up so that she, my

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Where do you draw the line? GF's and guy friends
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica]Hey guys, need some quick help on this one. Please help [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica]Yesterday my GF says
OMG he has a wedding date.
All, A couple of years ago, I dated a guy. There were things that were amazing but also horrible. A little over a year ago, we reconnected. He
HELPPP!!! Boyfriend broke up with me out of the blue
hi. REALLY REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP. my boyfriend recently broke up with me out of the blue and we were dating for 2.5 years. everything was
Why does this bother me so much?
Hey guys. So gf of 7 years has left me for another guy again long story short and some of you know the long. So I did the unhealthy habit of looking
My girlfriend of 3 years just told me she is polyamorous
I have no idea how to feel about it. She assured me she didn't want to force it on me and could live monogamously with me but the thought of
Dealing with inconsiderate, selfish people from dawn till dusk.
Not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here it is. Lately my life seems to be about dealing with people who are inconsiderate. From
Toxic relationship // venting
Sometimes writing everything out helps me get a better understanding of certain situations. I'm sorry for the long post, I do want some advice, but
Ask For Advice