Have a job interview tomorrow and I'm very scared of actually getting the job.

Hello,

I have been in a panic and I have a weird predicament. So I currently have a good job. I am a IT System Administrator and network administrator. I've been with the company for 9 years, I get good pay, I have a very nice office, it is laid back and I have a lot of freedom, I like my co-workers, a good commute, good benefits, but skill growth in the company is a little bit slow. I do do some very high level networking work, but I also do helpdesk work, which is very entry level work and a little bit disappointing, but I do not mind too much.

Here's the predicament. I got a job interview with the local electrical utility company for a Senior networking administrator position that pays $27,000 more then I currently make! Now that's a lot of money and nothing to sneeze at. And from my bit of research and reviews on the company it looks like most people really enjoy working there, it's a good company, people stay for many many years and it is the local utility, so it is a very stable job and company that makes a lot of money. So far so good.

But one of the things I am scared about is I would doing more advanced networking work then I currently do, even stuff I have no experience with, so it would be harder and more stressful work. I am scared I will not be able to preform. I am scared it will stress me out so much I will be very unhappy. I am also scared of losing all the good things at my current job. I am scared I will feel like I made a bad mistake.

Also so this is a little weird. I like doing networking work, but I am also scared of doing networking work because it is a lot of responsibility. You literally can take a whole company down if you make a mistake doing this type of work. I already have a lot of anxiety about it at my current job, but I do it anyways and have always come out ok... but I have a VERY hard time dealing with my anxiety.

I am scared that I will have even worse anxiety about this type of work at a much larger and important company. I know it is very weird. I like the work... but I'm scared of it at the same time. But I feel if I do it more regularly I may get more used to it.

So all of these things are driving me crazy.

On one hand I have a decent job I am not unhappy with, on the other hand I have a huge monetary opportunity and will gain much more skill and experience, but at the price of possible stress and unhappiness.

But this could all be imaginary and in my head too. I just don't know. I am going crazy. I feel like if I don't take this job, I would be the stupidest person in the world, because everyone OBVIOUSLY would take it, but my crippling anxiety is making it hard for me.

Please anyone help me sort out my head?

Are you taking any meds for your anxiety? You just need to get out of your head. You have been doing fine at your current job, haven't taken down a whole company or anything.. so you're good! Give yourself more credit. Just go to the interview and if they want to hire you, you can decide if you really want the job. Ask questions and see if it's a good fit for you. If not then it's ok, you still have your current job. Have more faith in yourself! Like you said the more you do it regularly the more you will get use to it. I don't think you will mess anything up since you are so worried about it, you are not gonna let that happen. You got this!!

First, let me reassure you that it's just anxieties rushing through your mind. It's normal, everyone would get nervous for various reasons;

For one, you are comfortable at your current job, the thought of CHANGE is freaking you out! So I'm going to put some positive thoughts out there.

This new job opportunity sounds amazing! Not only for monetary reasons, but it is a huge step in your career. Yes, our minds will always want what's comfortable, but comfortable is not nearly as fulfilling as growth.

You will not only gain a bigger income, but you will gain a lot more experiences. With more experiences, let's say if you didn't like the new job, it did stress you out. With the experiences you have (9 plus years) you will not have problems finding other work elsewhere. You've heard great things about this company and it does not have a high turn over rate. What is there not to like?

It's just a process, you are scared, I get it. You are human, that's why, we are all scared of change. You acknowledged your fear. Now, "let your faith be bigger than your fear" I really do hope you go to that interview and get the job! It will be good for you. It will also add to your life experiences. Good luck and update us on how it goes.

I wrestled with this my last 2 interviews. A lot of the same fears. Just go. One I didn't take 6 years ago. The last 1 a year ago I didn't get they froze the position. A part of me wonders what would have happened 6 years ago. I didnt take it for various reasons that sounded good at the time. It can't hurt to go and see what they have to offer. One more thing ive never failed at a job. Even though I'm constantly questioning myself. It sounds like you are the same. Remember that fact. If it's true for you too.

All I am going to say is that no, not everyone would take on a bigger job. Actually smart people who are aware of their limitations and/or benefits of their current position will not keep aiming for more and more.

If you are going to take on a job that leaves you a stressed out wreck, you won't be happy with it and you won't last in it. Unemployment line will be just around the corner.

First, let me reassure you that it's just anxieties rushing through your mind. It's normal, everyone would get nervous for various reasons;

For one, you are comfortable at your current job, the thought of CHANGE is freaking you out! So I'm going to put some positive thoughts out there.

This new job opportunity sounds amazing! Not only for monetary reasons, but it is a huge step in your career. Yes, our minds will always want what's comfortable, but comfortable is not nearly as fulfilling as growth.

You will not only gain a bigger income, but you will gain a lot more experiences. With more experiences, let's say if you didn't like the new job, it did stress you out. With the experiences you have (9 plus years) you will not have problems finding other work elsewhere. You've heard great things about this company and it does not have a high turn over rate. What is there not to like?

It's just a process, you are scared, I get it. You are human, that's why, we are all scared of change. You acknowledged your fear. Now, "let your faith be bigger than your fear" I really do hope you go to that interview and get the job! It will be good for you. It will also add to your life experiences. Good luck and update us on how it goes.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I do suffer from major fear of change. I have a hard time with dealing with the unknown, and seek out safety and security over risk. But growth only comes with risk. What I am going to do is be VERY honest with them in the interview, and be clear on what my limitations are, so no one is under false pretenses, to be where they will be like 'you don't know how to do this!?'. Ultimately they'll know if I'm a good fit I suppose.

Haha it's interesting to hear the range of advice I got. From very positive, to you'll see the unemployment line... lol

This is one of those things none of us can answer with an absolute, so I'm going to ask another question instead of you. Do you believe in yourself strongly enough that let's say worst case scenario happens - you flub the dub and are fired - that you know, you know in your heart of hearts, you will be able to land on your feet and get something else and be okay anyways?

Not a confidence in your abilities, but in your resiliency to weather any storm no matter how tough and make things turn out okay on your own steam regardless.

Also, does this new position know your skill level OR do they offer on-the-job training? That's important. If they say, "No worries, you have the background we're looking for, we'll train you up in any areas you're shaky in," then I would say take it. You are young enough at this point in your life frankly where you can start and rebuild again many times over. Sometimes when I get scared of change, and yeah I've done it numerous times even though I kinda hate it, I look back to people who inspired me by having their life destroyed and being able to rise up out of the ashes and forge a new one.

The road not traveled will often haunt you more when you get older than the one you took. And really you do need to look at a side-by-side comparison of long-term assets between the two companies. Even so one or other could turn out not to be the right choice, because we cannot control everything in our lives (sadly) but still every choice you make regardless, will be the right one if you are able to weather any storm and get back on your feet.

If you've tried to do that kind of work and have failed or have no aptitude for it, that's one thing. But if it's just that you haven't done much of it, you need more training, and the new company is offering then I say it's time to move forward and see where the road takes you.

Some of the best decisions of my life were the ones I made scared out of my mind. And yeah, I had terrible moments, but they all paid off in one way or another. All of them, no matter how bad it got, taught me more about myself and how I could handle things and life itself than if I'd stayed in one place safe my whole life.

So think about that too. And maybe it'll help.

Archived