Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Got confirmed for Working Holiday in INDIA for 2 months! Who has been?

arvela

So I have recently got the news that I've been confirmed as a promotional dancer for a working holiday, travelling around India for 2 months straight from late March- late May this year!

It's for the IPL's 2017 season, and I'll be staying in 3-4 star hotels with a group of other girls around my age (25-30) and dancing/performing cheer routines at the IPL games, and other associated events.

I haven't got the full contract and itinerary just yet, but I've been told we'll need to be prepared for a LOT of travelling/flying in and out of various cities, but will be based mainly near Bangalore.

We might have some days off to explore, but I don't know just yet. This whole thing has been confirmed really quickly and I have hardly done any research on India yet.

If ANYONE has anything to offer on my questions below, that would be greatly appreciated!

* MUST SEE / BEST places for tourists to visit, other than the TAJ Mahal

* Best cities and why?

* What was the food quality and availability like? And the drinking water - was it ok?

* Did you visit any spiritual sites/ashrams/yoga venues - which would you recommend?

* ANY tips for intercultural communication / customs to be aware of

* The weather - super hot? What did you wear to stay cool?

* Language - any phrases that are commonly used, and the basics I should know heading over there

* Anything else to just be aware of around travelling safely in India..

Thanks in advance!!

Yep, Mumbai is great once you feel well enough to leave the toilet. It's not all gurus and ashrams. There's a lot of abject poverty, kids begging on the streets in the airport etc. Most everyone speaks English.

I did have precious coworkers go though. Everyone of them were travelers. All got sick. Guessing it's like Mexico if you aren't careful.
Yep, Mumbai is great once you feel well enough to leave the toilet. It's not all gurus and ashrams. There's a lot of abject poverty, kids begging on the streets in the airport etc. Most everyone speaks English.

Hmm good to know.. the booking agent I was speaking to did mention to be careful about the food we consume, because the water quality isn't great in some areas.. I am a little concerned about that now that a few of you mention it.. I am aware that there might be some culture shock on the streets, but that's why I'm curious to hear of any real experiences people have had to confirm what it's actually like. Thankyou for sharing..

• 3 months later...

Archived