How do I come to a decision between these two jobs?

FuryLost

Hi everyone,

I currently have a part-time job which is pretty great; I started out as a volunteer and applied the first opening I saw. Been an employee for just over a month, volunteer for eight. Coworkers are great; one in particular was an enormous motivator in getting me the job.

Recently, a position has opened up elsewhere--a full-time writing job, which is something I love doing. Just to be clear, I'm not even sure I'm qualified for this position.

Now I'm debating whether or not to apply. Can scheduling even work with a primary part-time job and a secondary full-time job? If not, and I get this writing job, I'm going to have to quit the part-time job. That would likely meaning burning bridges, correct?

Should I just skip all this lollygagging, apply for the darn job anyway, and worry about the consequences when (and if) I get called for an interview?

Ugh.

Thanks for the answers.

I would keep your current job. There is no harm in applying for another job. Just because you apply, doesn't mean you will get an interview. if you get an interview, you can then decide. If you volunteered for a group for years and they have seen the value you in you enough to hire you, it says something and I would strive to stay, even if you got a second job waiting tables, a profitable hobby, or a different shift to supplement your income until you are at your job from 6 months to 2 years. Staying in one place for a little while looks good. Who knows, you might even be promoted. I would think, if i were the recruiter, that someone has a short attention span and doesn't like to finish things if they have only been employed for a month unless they are doing a work study at school and i am offering a full time engineering job.

I would learn the ins and out of the place you now work in - a place that you had worked hard to get to - and learn from people, etc, instead of jumping ship so quickly.

Recently, a position has opened up elsewhere--a full-time writing job, which is something I love doing. Just to be clear, I'm not even sure I'm qualified for this position.

If you want the position and don't know you are qualified, i would take the time while you are working your part time job and get qualified for a writing job - whether it means going back to school or whatnot.

I will say most places who hire writers are looking for someone who is an expert in a particular field and can write - not just someone who "loves to write". They are hiring a retired surgeon as their medical writer, for example. They will not hire someone who just simply loves to write unless you have samples of published work.

Thanks @abitbroken, you make a lot of sense. Loyalty. I probably won't apply after all--even if I don't get an interview, just the thought of having to making this decision somewhere down the line isn't a comfortable one.

Besides, duh, a staff-wide email was sent earlier today about four openings for the position above mine. Maybe I'll apply to those instead...

They will fully understand that you need to work full time and all they can afford to give you is part time. Why must this require burning bridges?? Just be mature and professional about it. Give them enough notice (after interviewing and receiving an offer, not before) and be very gracious and grateful to them for the opportunity.

Don't hold yourself back because of what someone might think about you or because you don't want to make a difficult conversation or to avoid confrontation.

Trust me they will understand. You're all adults and have bills to pay and goals in life.

Also it's not unheard of to have a full time job and a part time job on a side. I have a full time job and two part time jobs. Good luck!

That was another hitch. This position is a writer for events and tours for a local museum; I've been published 3 times before, but in horror magazines. While I could spin my published work to my advantage, not sure it'd be applicable.

Do you have your finger on the pulse of local goings on? Do you have a journalism background or have you only written creatively - as in stories. I would honestly work on getting experience on the side so that when you find another opening that looks good, you are qualified. I have applied to positions i really wanted before that were more creative and didn't get them because i didn't have the credentials or experience and it didn't help me to apply again when i did because they remembered me a certain way. I would work towards getting the experience you need on the side. Also, they might be looking for someone already connected with the museum.

Thanks @abitbroken, you make a lot of sense. Loyalty. I probably won't apply after all--even if I don't get an interview, just the thought of having to making this decision somewhere down the line isn't a comfortable one.

Besides, duh, a staff-wide email was sent earlier today about four openings for the position above mine. Maybe I'll apply to those instead...

I would do that - i would apply for one of the other positions that your volunteer experience and your other experience aside from this company qualifies you for or at least partially qualifies you for. it will show initiative on your part.

@Iggy5129: When you say, "They will fully understand...they can afford to give you is part time", who are you talking about? Current employer or prospective?

It's not about confrontation; but it is wondering what they'll say about me if I leave a job I worked quite hard to get in the first place. Even I'd feel strange about it if I just up and leave. Thanks for the advice.

Archived