Stress, anxiety and unintentional weight loss

maccerz

I'm quite worried about myself at the moment. I am doing a post grad in children's nursing which requires me to work full time in a children's hospital and attend college/ do college assignments and exams. I loved it at the beginning but the deeper I get into the whole thing the more stressed and anxious I become about it all (mainly working in the hospital, it's extremely intense at times). I feel like I'm living in a constant bubble of anxiety at the moment and I can't snap out of it. My mood is very erratic, I have no control over it from one minute to the next and it's just not like me at all.... I've gone back to a counselor I used to see years ago to try and work through it. Along with this I've noticed (and its been said to me by others) that I've lost weight. I look after myself well, I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly but I'm doing nothing different than I have for the past several years and suddenly I'm shedding weight that I cant really afford to be shedding.. I'm assuming it's related to my stress but I've made an appointment with my doctor to see what he thinks. I'm starting to worry that it might be something a little more sinister.. all this stress can't be doing good things for my health and I feel like unintentional weight loss is a worrying sign about whats happening inside my body. I don't really know what my reason for writing this is.. I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

When I had severe anxiety, I lost a lot of weight. I couldn't sleep, had heartburn, and escaped into music and running. Whether you are suffering from anxiety or something else, your body is trying to send you a message. I think it's important for you to understand what it's saying.

Is the load you're carrying simply too heavy? Or is it something about the specific work you are doing that is causing your stress and anxiety?

How much longer does this program last? Can you slow down the pace? Is this an emotional reaction to working with sick children?

I hope you can figure out what's going on and find your way back to peace and health.

I would suggest you find a hobby that makes you happy and focus less on the stress and practice more self love. Watch movies that make you laugh; laughter is a good remedy. Talk to people on the phone and online that make you happy and you'll be surprised how healthy you will feel.

Archived