Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Decompression Chamber

RainyCoast

i find myself derailing every thread i comment on with my rambling these days. sometimes stuff just wants to be blurted out and i though we could do with a place where we could frequently drop by to do that.

i am strating to monopolize the what are you thinking and such threads too, obviously my rambling factor is just high these days.

anyaway, if you want to meander, drop by for a break and talk or whatever, welcome.

i have actually felt the need for this before and thought it would help to put it in the journals section, but the thing with that is it triggers a commitment issue of a kind (that seems very popular these days)

- and them i'm like but if i start a journal i have to post, and then i won't want to post, and it'll feel like a duty and so on. so this seemed more fitting.

anyway so i'm working on my second paper in two days and my brain is starting to ask for frequent breaks so here i am. had to throw out my chair recently and ordered a new one, it isn't here yet and i'm sitting on a chair that was really not meant for sitting at the desk for long, my neck hurts and the lighting sucks. therefore,

i went to work at the local library yesterday, and guess what. they've been renovating and they no longer have a quiet study room, or cubicles. just the common reading room. where people are on their phones (NOT set on Silent) and flipping through magazines while their kids run around pressing the squeaky characters from children's' books. it's hilarious actually, you're in the middle of a very serious sentence and kid presses cow " mooo oooo oOOO OOOO OOO O OOO Oooo"!

then comes this fella, sits next to me (there are other chairs available!! don't people naturally tend to occupy a spot that gives them the widest space for themselves?!) and he kept shifting loudly in his seat the entire time, his elbows flying above my papers, and sighing so dramatically like he was being annoyed by a peevish ghost throwing distasteful jokes at him while he was trying to read.

SO annoying. man, if you're possessed, maybe you and your loud, misbehaved paranormal entourage should aim for places that are meant to be more lively-- or ya know, teach those friends of yours some manners.

*end ramble*

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh, a fellow rambler I do it when my head is so full that I can't find a complete thought anymore. I try to keep my rambling on my own posts, because that somehow seems more polite to me....as in, why would someone else want to hear me go on and on about their stuff?, and they can just ignore my stuff...but now that I think about it, maybe it's less polite and more selfish of me...hmmmmm...

Your post here is hilarious! Hope you get a new chair soon!

hey Cap, good to see ya!

you know i read my posts on those threads lately and thought damn i'm like the little engine that couldn't shut up. i used to be quiet. i don't know what happened, or when exactly.

I do it when my head is so full that I can't find a complete thought anymore. I try to keep my rambling on my own posts, because that somehow seems more polite to me....as in, why would someone else want to hear me go on and on about their stuff?, and they can just ignore my stuff...but now that I think about it, maybe it's less polite and more selfish of me...hmmmmm...

you too? you can ramble all you want here, i obviously like it!

i also can't tell whether it's just an offer people can take or leave, or if it's somewhat self-centered of me to go on and on like that. i have a hard time telling the difference between an extrapolation people find useful, and a lengthy personalized view that just sounds like i really want to push my perception on people. but when i try to be concise, i tend to sound short in more than one way. so i dunno. a self-disclosure of sorts makes me think i'm appealing to something universally human, that's why i do it. but i don't know whether the other gets i'm speaking from that perspective, or whether it comes off as the opposite.

i do think some of it has to do with having a full head. like you need a brain dump. then i tend to comment on peripheral issues, or something i find funny. that i know isn't geared to help the poster, so i'd rather do it in off-topic instead.

i pulled an allnighter. who knew i would keep doing that in my thirties. but i finished the work, all i have to do now is just the aesthetic parts of it, no content. and i have plenty of time for that. slept two hours and am not even tired. go figure.

i did get the chair, i just picked it up. i got the same type i had until now. it's durable and comfortable and so cheap it's funny, it's 30 euro. i mean that's a daily haul of very basic groceries for two people. and it's better than the expensive chairs i've had. the old one was five years old and it survived everything from coworker's kids playing on it, office chair races down the hall, several moves and even a small fire. goodbye old friend, hello new friend.

i have been noticing "karma" at work the past few months. a lot. it's interesting. i used to think i would feel some kind of sick satisfaction seeing that. but i don't. the only reason i even begin to think perhaps someone needs a wake up call isn't punitive or vindictive, it's that when all the usual ways of correcting behaviors that have serious consequences for others have failed i conclude the only way they'll reconsider their actions is some "intense education". i know i learned some neat things that way myself lol. a few weeks ago though, i was a little mean. a person who'd contributed to a client's situation deteriorating significantly, and tried to frame the rest of us for it called me one morning asking my help in sanitizing the consequences they were facing. and i was "very busy". i don't feel guilty, which is weird for me.

i've been wanting to have a movie night for a while now and i can't seem to find a movie that holds my attention. i've probably watched a total of ten movies to the end in my entire life. maybe i'll watch ice age instead. or get one of those children's books. i can't forget that moooOOOOooo. all i could think was "you took that right out of mouth, Bessie".

I got in a fight with my wife yesterday. I was upset because she wants moving into a back house where her mother lives in a really nice area. Closer to my son's school.

The problem is her mother is hoarder and the back looks like a landfill. I don't want to move there because it's unsafe for my kids, social services would take are kids away if the saw the place and it would be embarrassing to invite people over. She is upset because she thought I was making fun of her mother. But I wasn't. I want to help clean up the back and make it safe. It will take a few months. When it comes to my kids. I become a grizzly bear.

I feel better.

oh god i'd be worried about that too! it's great you want to help clean it up, i hope that appeased her.

Thank you. This will be a long battle. hoarder is a mental problem that doesn't go away so fast. I talked to her mother and she sounded casual about cleaning up the back. I don't believe she will let go of things so easily.

The Pregnant Woman™. Everyone has one. The one whose entire identity is the baby in her tummy, and the two toddlers. and she is never keeping it to herself. none of it.

I feel like such a jerk. I am happy with them and for them....for a while.

There is only so much baby pictures (baby pictures everywhere. on their folders, on their social media, on their posters in their friggin office, babies babies everywhere. not even just their own babies, that i would get. i am talking generic baby poster art and stuff like that.), momma bird t-shirts and talk of meconium i can handle.

I haven't said anything, that would be horrible. I know it's natural, and i won't "get it" until it's me.

But it's just too much. Is it really so hard to contain? It has to overflow out of her onto everyone else anywhere, everywhere, all the time? i get being overwhelmed. with good stuff or bad. but not everyone litters the entire workday with the only thing that is occupying their mind. you're at work woman.

it won't stop. i dread her next pregnancy already. she will be one of those. she will have six at least.

i can't wait for her to take maternity leave. i'm a monster.

i am expecting nightmares of babies overtaking my desk. chewing off the cables, peeing on the keyboard and shredding papers. please don't let there be meconium. ugh.

hey Cap, good to see ya!

you know i read my posts on those threads lately and thought damn i'm like the little engine that couldn't shut up. i used to be quiet. i don't know what happened, or when exactly.

I find many times I have so much to say, and want to say, but force myself to shut-up. Keep talking to myself and saying ..."must. not. go. there." So frustrating. Ugh. Would love to unleash here too, but probably not a wise thing to do, lol.

The problem is her mother is hoarder and the back looks like a landfill. I don't want to move there because it's unsafe for my kids, social services would take are kids away if the saw the place and it would be embarrassing to invite people over.

That would be my worst nightmare. I would do everything in my power not to have my children living in those conditions.

What's wrong with where you currently live?

i see a sticky note already. "today's agenda

1. discussion: Should the fun troll be awarded honorary membership as the hissy forum pet and should we install a pet the troll button. Vote anonymously.

2. "Should we merge all how do i get him/her back threads into one? You there, are you sure you check the IP addresses thoroughly- because i swear it's the same person every time?!"

3. Group rant session

4. Collecting admission fees for the "How to not get high blood pressure from continuously having to replace *i'm afraid that you are an idiot and we can't help you with that* with empathic replies" weekend workshop.

That would be my worst nightmare. I would do everything in my power not to have my children living in those conditions.

What's wrong with where you currently live?

Little further away from my son's school and the rent will be cheaper. Right now I'm paying a lot for a 2 bedroom apt.

1. discussion: Should the fun troll be awarded honorary membership as the hissy forum pet and should we install a pet the troll button. Vote anonymously.

2. "Should we merge all how do i get him/her back threads into one? You there, are you sure you check the IP addresses thoroughly- because i swear it's the same person every time?!"

3. Group rant session

4. Collecting admission fees for the "How to not get high blood pressure from continuously having to replace *i'm afraid that you are an idiot and we can't help you with that* with empathic replies" weekend workshop.

***** 5 stars for this, since there is no Like or Thanks button to click.

i felt bad for being so annoyed with the excited prego woman and thought about pregnancies and stuff..and remembered that while there are pictures of my mum with me since the day i was born, there are no pictures of my mother pregnant with me. she was pregnant before too and miscarried at 4 months, and there are no pictures of that pregnancy either. it made me realize my dad and grandparents weren't interested or excited about sharing her experience of pregnancy with her at all, and sadly that sounds just like them. everyone was happy to see a baby, but her pregnancy- nah. like she was just an incubator or something.

of course pregnant women will be overflowing with pregnancy stuff, it's a whole new aspect of themselves too.

feel double the jerk now.

guide to caffeinating during quarterly reports season

1. brew coffee

2. pour into favorite mug

3. annotate, read, highlight, take notes, calculate, analyze, make charts, think, discuss, write a synthesis and report outline forgetting the coffee until it’s colder than your heart

4. reach for mug, realize contents are colder than your heart

5. drink it all down anyway in a single hasted gulp because no caffeine should ever go wasted.

6. brew another one

7. repeat steps 2-6.

There is a point in Floyds * Dark side of the moon * that you really should be naked for .

I hope I am in the right thread and not accidentally landed in the middle of someone elses heart felt plea for help . It wouldn't be the first time

hahaha! which point, i might want to get nakey for it too

hahahahahah rainy

that bit when the woman ( totally knew her name , totally now forgot ) starts with all the ahhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhahhhhaaaaaa 's ...it takes me off to another planet .

i know what you mean. i'm like that when Bruce Springsteen sings the oooh-ohh-ooooh parts of I'm On Fire.

3. Group rant session

We neeeed the pet the troll button! Sooo cute. Maybe a tickle the troll button too.

Archived