Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving In Together -Advice

We keep track of expenses and have a sit-down once a week or once a month to square up. We split shared expenses 50/50, but since he does a lot of the shopping for both of us, I usually owe him money at the end of the month. I make up for this by paying a larger portion of the rent for the month. I really like the system we have. It gives us a chance to talk to each other and plan.

We each have our own money seperate and I pay household bills ( he sends me his half every month of all bills and rent through an e- transfer). It's easy this way for us. For groceries, gas when we travel together, food out, things of that nature we take turns mostly. It's not an exact split but as mentioned, we both try to keep it equitable and it hasn't ever been a problem. Like jman, I eat more ( and eat meat, which is expensive, which he doesn't) but he likes to buy more premium products ( except I insist on premium toilet paper lol). It works out.

Something to consider too is common law situation where you live. Does it apply? Do you need to come to an agreement or not regarding that? Easier as soon as you plan to move in than later on. We actually sat down and formalized an agreement which has legal standing.

And taxes.. how will it impact how you do your taxes? Yeah, we talked about that.

Decide how household labour will be divided. I hear so many women complain they feel they end up expected to do the bulk of household chores. I don't have that problem - he does more cleaning than me. I do more household repairs, baking, running around chores. It doesn't matter how you divide it so long as it's clear, seems fair to both of you, etc.

Congrats, by the way.😀

Originally Posted by Billie28
    What's with the separate bedrooms?
    Sounds more like moving in together out of convenience rather than committment. Although personally I don't believe moving in is a committment. Flatmates come and go.

Whose idea was it to have seperate rooms?
    Kind of a mutual idea I suppose. My boyfriend has a really bad sleeping disorder which means he goes to bed at like 8 pm with medication and any little thing will disturb his rest and he has to get up at 6 for work. I go to bed at 11:30 pm and wake up at 7 am. Add to that he's extremely introverted and needs his own space and we're both very independent. So ya for us it made sense. It'll be nice eating together before I go out and do things and he does his thing, and we can hang out and watch anime or play games on weekends and some weekdays. We're not gonna just be existing in the same space and not spending time together lol. Just not going to share a bed at night.

Thank you all. Some good advice and things to think about. I took some notes on things to look up later and anything else ya'll think of is helpful. The more I consider things before the better

Keep in mind that you don't have to have every interest in common. Especially if either or both of you have rather eclectic tastes.

Was this intended to be platonic? Why do you have separate bed/bedrooms?
    Originally Posted by MsCodeMonkey
    I've been dating my boyfriend what will be 2 years. He'll take the master bedroom which will need to have enough room for a king sized bed and a computer desk. I'll take the other two rooms. One will have my bed and clothes and the other will have my collection of board games and books and a love seat with a tv and video game hook ups.I'm actually not too worried about chores and such cause I know he'll pull his weight.

Platinum Member
    What are your plans for the future? have you talked about marriage/kids down the line? Or is this suggested by him so he can have someone to split bills with? I would caution you and suggest to get a female roomie first.

Platinum Member
    and no -- no joint account. you pay each half of the rent and decide what you are going to do as far as the rest of the bills

Platinum Member
    You just had a thread seeking advice because your BF irritates you, and now you're
    going to live together? Sharing space is gonna be a challenge for you!

Originally Posted by SweetGirl28
    You just had a thread seeking advice because your BF irritates you, and now you're
    going to live together? Sharing space is gonna be a challenge for you!
    This thread is almost a year old

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    This thread is almost a year old
    Lol, who revived it?? My apologies hahahahahaha :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice