Hobbit hole or Hobbit hell

Yikes....you should put more info about the company and who built it so people know who is responsible for that mess of an excuse of a .......

Oh darling I have been through hell and so far spent £400 pound on court and bailiffs , I have done it all legally and above board and have come to a stand still because I can't get his address , he wont give me it , he just blocks me on facebook , I have paid to get into the electoral register and so far paid for the bailiffs to go to two addresses and I still haven't got him.... This was all done via his page on facebook ...he lives in a different city to me or I would knocked every door by now .

Well don't need the address, just name will suffice. Heck, it might work in that if others see it and see the name, they might tell you where to find him.

he has threatened me with legal action if I damn him publicy ..it is making me panic a bit ...infact the whole thing is making me ill .. it is not like I can shut if from my mind haha it is 10ft by 8ft and on stilts bang in the middle of my garden .

Wow that's terrible.

Looks like a combination of bad construction practices and bad choice of materials. Quite honestly I'd just tear it down, once particle board starts coming apart like that it's just a matter of time. The biggest two sins is the lack of tar paper or other sort of barrier under the slats and and the roof having no pitch (not to mention the scary roof beam). Time to torch Hobbiton!

As I've built sheds, garages, and what not; this guy would be laughed out of even the worst builders of the red neck fashion. Not sure what the building code requirements are in your area, or even if they apply to a structure of that size; but he clearly would have his contractor's license revoked here in the States. I think he's threatening the action to keep you quiet, he may be good at intimidation, but sure as expletive he couldn't build his way out of a sand box.

Wow that's terrible.

Looks like a combination of bad construction practices and bad choice of materials. Quite honestly I'd just tear it down, once particle board starts coming apart like that it's just a matter of time. The biggest two sins is the lack of tar paper or other sort of barrier under the slats and and the roof having no pitch (not to mention the scary roof beam). Time to torch Hobbiton!

As I've build sheds, garages, and what not; this guy would be laughed out of even the worst builders of the red neck fashion. Not sure what the building code requirements are in your area, or even if they apply to a structure of that size; but he clearly would have his contractor's license revoked here in the States. I think he's threatening the action to keep you quiet, he may be good at intimidation, but sure as expletive he couldn't build his way out of a sand box.

I kept it quiet for a long time coily , everyone kept asking me to see the inside , but I thought I could sort it with him privately ..I really am not a *cause a fuss * person ... There was many things wrong ...I sent him a picture you see and asked could he do this and what price ..it was £1,100 ...this was back in 2014 ..I said ok I will be in touch next spring ..me and emily saved our assess off and by the 1st June 2015 we finished paying ....we then had to wait till the end of july for him to actually do it .. bit gutted as summer in the Uk doesn't last long haha He accidentally dug up our rabbit that had only passed a couple of weeks earlier , he forgot the door nob and he forgot an end piece of the roof ...and I wanted it cladded ... so he said he will be back in two weeks , he will re bury rabbit ( I know it sounds funny , but that was my fur baby ) bring the door nob and the missing bit of roof .......he never came back .... so the doors got shut for winter and when I went back in in spring 2016 it was soaking ...I pm'd him ..he had a string of excuses as to why he never came back and told me when the weather is warmer he will come and fix the leak . I finally put my foot down and said NO ..you will come now and do the repairs etc ... and what do you intend to do about the floor ? he ignored that question and has refused to answer ......... I then asked him for a headed receipt , he ignored , I requested his address , he ignored me ..Emily messaged him , he ignored her ......

So I went on facebook and said , look you lot , here is the truth about the summer house , can anyone help get his address ....that is when an old friend of mine who is 30 plus years a carpenter saw my vid ..oh god he went mad and offered to do a full legit report ..( I obviously sent him more detailed pics and vids ) The report is frightening and as you said ..he used the wrong wood , he used OSB so the floor will never be ok now .. I wouldn't have known any of this ..so now I know why he refused to answer when I asked about the floor ...it is because he knows I needed a new floor ...

All he has offered is to fix the leak . Underneath there is not enough support and the sides have a support missing at each side ..I sent him the report ..I paid for pre court mediation , he just ignores everything ....I could literally scream ..I have just been on his page now and he is still using it for advertising !!!

I agree with coily. My ex had some work done while we were on break and got had. It was a mess his license was thru his wife's name ect. Im not sure if she ever got anything out of it. There were lawyers involved she had a friend. I think the video speaks for itself. He had no clue. It's not even like he could make that right and he knows it. Good luck

I agree with coily. My ex had some work done while we were on break and got had. It was a mess his license was thru his wife's name ect. Im not sure if she ever got anything out of it. There were lawyers involved she had a friend. I think the video speaks for itself. He had no clue. It's not even like he could make that right and he knows it. Good luck

I honestly think he was out of his depth ... he does lovely beds and smaller stuff , he had no clue as you all have said and took short cuts with cheaper wood ..the roof is flat so he didnt take into account the rain needs to flow down !! It is like he is just too stubborn to admit that this time ..he messed up . He knows I suffer with anxiety and sh1t and he also knows money is hard to come by , I believe he thought I would crack before I saw it through ..I ought to sue his ass after this for the stress he has caused me .

Thanks matt

he has threatened me with legal action if I damn him publicy ..it is making me panic a bit ...infact the whole thing is making me ill .. it is not like I can shut if from my mind haha it is 10ft by 8ft and on stilts bang in the middle of my garden .

Oh yea? When it's true, you are free to damn him as loudly and as publicly as you want.

Yikes.

I don't know what recourse you have in your country but in the US you end up spending more chasing them down

then you'll ever get in return if you are vindicated.

Contractors bet on this.

I would smear his reputation. Threaten you with what exactly?

Just tell the truth. There is no disputing this is horrible work.

No need to smear with facts like this. Just post this video, or a similar one talking about the problems with out saying "this guy is a piece of dirt." (Though he is in my opinion).

Or even better get your carpenter friend's report posted up with the pictures. Though not by name.

All hinges on whether or not the courts come through for you.

I do agree with you all ..as long as I stick to the facts and don't damn the rest of his work , as said , the hobbit hole speaks for itself , then I should be safe to *out* him all over social media ..I guess I just wanted it resolved before I rocked the boat .

It has been to court and I won .......... he still did not respond , so I had to pay the bailiffs to go to his home ...they contacted me to say he doesn't live at the address provided ...however he wont be able to claim he didn't know any of this because the court mediation team ( that I had to pay for ) used his work mobile and his email address ( both of which he still uses ) to contact him and try and sort it before it went to court ..they told him he would be responsible for the costs I have laid out etc etc and to please sort this out ..he ignored them .

I then paid for a service here in the UK called 192 ...and that gave me access to more details and sure enough the address I had used he left in 2013 , so I tried his wife and she was registered for the electoral register for 2015/16 ( this was about last November ) so I re paid the bailiffs and had the warrant re issued to the new address I found . I heard from the bailiffs a few days ago saying that wasn't his address either ..ARGHHHHHHH the money and worry this is costing and causing ..the man is a pig .

So here I am ..stuck ...because I can't find the right address .

since I wrote this , I have been in contact with yet another organisation who run a * no find no fee * policy ..so I have passed on everything I know to them now and god willing they will find his address and I will have to pay yet again to get the bailiffs out .

I tell you what hurts ...emily is nearly 18 , she was 15 when all this started and it was sleepovers and BBQ'S and me and her to have these last couple of years before she goes off to uni .....she is nearly 18 now and will leave this year to go out into the world and live her life ...his kids are still babies ... she is all I have and all I wanted was our summer house and he has taken it away from us . I am very much struggling to keep myself together over it all .

if any of you are on facebook I am happy to pm you the link to his page .....I looked today and if you scroll down to july 2015 I am there , he is still using me to advertise .

It's now a hazard in your yard? If you can't get him to repair it, maybe the least he could do is remove it and restore the site at no cost to you? It's crazy that he's threatening you if you share the truth about his work.

the friend I mentioned who is a carpenter who did the report has condemned it ....and still it seems he can't be made to do anything until I have his address .

Ugh, with all his moves my guess is he's on a slippery slope, not only with you, and can't make good on anything he owes or needs to fix. If he's posting a picture of your place on his facebook page, include a link in the comments to your youtube video. Or complain to Facebook about the image? I don't know. I'm so sorry you are having this to deal with. You try to create something special with someone else's help, and it backfires. Here in the US each state has a consumer's advocacy department, or Better Business Bureau, that you can file reports with to at least alert other consumers, but perhaps to get help going after a bad business. Do you have anything like that there?

Ugh, with all his moves my guess is he's on a slippery slope, not only with you, and can't make good on anything he owes or needs to fix. If he's posting a picture of your place on his facebook page, include a link in the comments to your youtube video. Or complain to Facebook about the image? I don't know. I'm so sorry you are having this to deal with. You try to create something special with someone else's help, and it backfires. Here in the US each state has a consumer's advocacy department, or Better Business Bureau, that you can file reports with to at least alert other consumers, but perhaps to get help going after a bad business. Do you have anything like that there?

I did it all through the trading standards branch of the citizens advice , so it has all been done legally and above board , this is why it has taken so long , because there are set rules of how many days you give someone before the next stage and so on .... I is frustrating because it is dangerous and without an address for him , no one can do anything ... I even thought of ringing the police haha I mean it is not a criminal case I know that , but I am getting desperate .

I learned this lesson the hard way. Evicted a non paying tenant and she trashed the house, broke windows and punched holes in the walls.

Went to court. Judgment in our favor. Vindicated, right!?

Hardly. It was up to us to chase her down and get the monthly payments mandated by the court.

Joke was on us. If she wouldn't pay rent to begin why we were naïve to think she'd pay the monthly restitution?

Besides he's pretty much shown you where his soft spot is by the veiled threat. I say go for it.

Archived