I had two young girls belonging to the Mormon church come to the house today (one of the disadvantages of working from home...). Aside from making me very uncomfortable by asking me personal questions like what kind of struggles has my faith helped me through, I was quite concerned that these young girls should be at school?

Does anyone know anything about this church? I was just curious as to whether children are educated through the church or something. I've never come across any Mormons in the UK until now I have to say!

Not a Mormon but a couple of my best friends were. Missionaries have to be 18+. They girls may have looked young but were adults. They'll basically get a full ride at BYU upon completing their mission (or the tuition is heavily discounted-- not sure which).

It is not one religion from another . It is religious debate they don't want. If it is a religious question that relates to your life they will probably allow . The second it comes a debate shut down . When they have religious and political debates it will become like a free-for-all . That drives people away .

It's a sort of right of passage to adulthood. Once they graduate high school and are 18, they are supposed to go on a mission for a year I believe. Mission meaning they travel to other places around in the US and abroad to recruit more people to their religion. They do take some safety precautions such as always walking around in pairs or more, etc.

Once they return from this, they go on to Uni or whatever choice of education or work. So no worries about their schooling. Anyone fresh out of high school will look young.

Raised Mormon, my mom is still a church member. These girls will have to be 18+. They are doing what they call a mission, which is spreading the word of their religion. If you don't feel comfortable with them coming inside your house and asking questions then don't invite them in, and/or simply tell them you don't feel comfortable discussing personal issues. They will listen to you, because they get some pretty clear instructions about not being aggressive or rude.

For me, they have been a help and a blessing to my mother. And no one from that church has ever been anything, but nice and respectful to me even though I am not myself Mormon. If I don't feel comfortable with someone I will speak up and state that and they apologize and drop it. No worries.

A polite no thank you goes a long ways. And yes, chances are strong those girls will go on to college or university after their mission is complete. Most of those are for a year, I believe. Not too sure on that since I'm not an active member.

Not a Mormon but a couple of my best friends were. Missionaries have to be 18+. They girls may have looked young but were adults. They'll basically get a full ride at BYU upon completing their mission (or the tuition is heavily discounted-- not sure which).

Yeah , I had two young men as well the other day ,...there haven't been any missionaries for a while actually so I guessed what was going on .

Archived