Ask For Advice

Thread: Mormons

butterfly45
    Bronze Member

Mormons

I had two young girls belonging to the Mormon church come to the house today (one of the disadvantages of working from home...). Aside from making me very uncomfortable by asking me personal questions like what kind of struggles has my faith helped me through, I was quite concerned that these young girls should be at school?

Does anyone know anything about this church? I was just curious as to whether children are educated through the church or something. I've never come across any Mormons in the UK until now I have to say!

j.man
    Not a Mormon but a couple of my best friends were. Missionaries have to be 18+. They girls may have looked young but were adults. They'll basically get a full ride at BYU upon completing their mission (or the tuition is heavily discounted-- not sure which).

3. Thanks pippy longstocking thanked for this post
    ~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Just don't make this a religious discussion. They are not allowed on ENA.

5. Thanks Wiseman2 thanked for this post
    butterfly45
    Bronze Member
    Thank you j.man.

I had a discussion a while back about Jehova witnesses which wasn't a problem and wasn't closed down. I am wondering why it is okay to discuss some religions and not others?

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It is not one religion from another . It is religious debate they don't want. If it is a religious question that relates to your life they will probably allow . The second it comes a debate shut down . When they have religious and political debates it will become like a free-for-all . That drives people away .

Matt3939
    Platinum Member
    I have a good friend that's one. He's never ever brought up his faith with me and I never asked any questions. I think it's rude to do so. If one has questions or is curious it's fine. He's a smart man so they have to get schooling from somewhere.

DancingFool
    It's a sort of right of passage to adulthood. Once they graduate high school and are 18, they are supposed to go on a mission for a year I believe. Mission meaning they travel to other places around in the US and abroad to recruit more people to their religion. They do take some safety precautions such as always walking around in pairs or more, etc.
    Once they return from this, they go on to Uni or whatever choice of education or work. So no worries about their schooling. Anyone fresh out of high school will look young.

ParisPaulette
    Platinum Member
    Raised Mormon, my mom is still a church member. These girls will have to be 18+. They are doing what they call a mission, which is spreading the word of their religion. If you don't feel comfortable with them coming inside your house and asking questions then don't invite them in, and/or simply tell them you don't feel comfortable discussing personal issues. They will listen to you, because they get some pretty clear instructions about not being aggressive or rude.

For me, they have been a help and a blessing to my mother. And no one from that church has ever been anything, but nice and respectful to me even though I am not myself Mormon. If I don't feel comfortable with someone I will speak up and state that and they apologize and drop it. No worries.

A polite no thank you goes a long ways. And yes, chances are strong those girls will go on to college or university after their mission is complete. Most of those are for a year, I believe. Not too sure on that since I'm not an active member.

11. Thanks j.man, dias thanked for this post
    butterfly45
    Bronze Member
    That's really interesting, I had no idea about the mission side of it. They did have American accents so that would make sense.

No I didn't invite them in or in engage in much conversation. That particular question didn't sit right with me.

pippy longstocking
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    Not a Mormon but a couple of my best friends were. Missionaries have to be 18+. They girls may have looked young but were adults. They'll basically get a full ride at BYU upon completing their mission (or the tuition is heavily discounted-- not sure which).
    Yeah , I had two young men as well the other day ,...there haven't been any missionaries for a while actually so I guessed what was going on .

Top Threads
Weight gain/working out
I am 5ft 4inches tall before I started working out I weighed 146, now that I'm working out I'm 150 lbs heavier. I am eating right. What the hell is
Am I pregnant?
Okay so I know there are likely no doctors reading this but I just want people's opinions on this. Basically, I'm worried I'm pregnant. Me and my
Working out
I joined a gym a week ago, I haven't worked out in 5 years. I started out on the elite side of the gym using the trx and mx4 small group sessions. I
Is there something seriously wrong w/me?
In the last year and 1/2, dating has been absolute misery. Although my 1st relationship failed, at least it was a normal relationship where both us
Is 10mg Lexapro a too low dosage?
I started taking the 10 mgs around the 1st of this month, I think I was feeling a bit better. I went in for my follow up on (last) Thursday feeling
Twilight anesthesia
If you have dental phobia I HIGHLY recommend this for dental surgery. I have a massive dental phobia and I needed a surgical extraction. I was so so
Any UC/Crohns sufferers out there?
I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (UC) - a form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease - over 10 years ago. In the majority of that time I have had

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Dating younger guy 24 years difference
I am 50 yrs old dating a 26 yrs old guy. We been dating each other for a couple months things are great between us. He told me he will always be
Boyfriend gets very angry if I mention his ex, is this normal?
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5months. He broke up with his ex and a year and a half ago. 7 months after they
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
Is this abuse?
Iím desperate for some advice. Iíve been with my partner for nearly 2 years and everything has been ok, except from when he drinks. I really do not
Is there hope for me?
Me and my girlfriend of two years had been talking about moving in together lately. We didn't actually go look at any place in person, but browsed a
Bringing up trust issues at the start of a new relationship? My situation...
Haven't been on these boards since my last break up a couple years ago, and here I am about to begin a new relationship with feelings from the last
Whats my next move - Dating a girl fresh out of a relationship
Hey guys, So heres the deal. Met a girl in class and I asked her out. Her answer was "maybe" because she didn't want to say no to me but just
Ask For Advice