Ask For Advice

Thread: Mormons

butterfly45
    Bronze Member

Mormons

I had two young girls belonging to the Mormon church come to the house today (one of the disadvantages of working from home...). Aside from making me very uncomfortable by asking me personal questions like what kind of struggles has my faith helped me through, I was quite concerned that these young girls should be at school?

Does anyone know anything about this church? I was just curious as to whether children are educated through the church or something. I've never come across any Mormons in the UK until now I have to say!

j.man
    Not a Mormon but a couple of my best friends were. Missionaries have to be 18+. They girls may have looked young but were adults. They'll basically get a full ride at BYU upon completing their mission (or the tuition is heavily discounted-- not sure which).

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Just don't make this a religious discussion. They are not allowed on ENA.

butterfly45
    Bronze Member
    Thank you j.man.

I had a discussion a while back about Jehova witnesses which wasn't a problem and wasn't closed down. I am wondering why it is okay to discuss some religions and not others?

~Seraphim ~
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It is not one religion from another . It is religious debate they don't want. If it is a religious question that relates to your life they will probably allow . The second it comes a debate shut down . When they have religious and political debates it will become like a free-for-all . That drives people away .

Matt3939
    Platinum Member
    I have a good friend that's one. He's never ever brought up his faith with me and I never asked any questions. I think it's rude to do so. If one has questions or is curious it's fine. He's a smart man so they have to get schooling from somewhere.

DancingFool
    It's a sort of right of passage to adulthood. Once they graduate high school and are 18, they are supposed to go on a mission for a year I believe. Mission meaning they travel to other places around in the US and abroad to recruit more people to their religion. They do take some safety precautions such as always walking around in pairs or more, etc.
    Once they return from this, they go on to Uni or whatever choice of education or work. So no worries about their schooling. Anyone fresh out of high school will look young.

ParisPaulette
    Platinum Member
    Raised Mormon, my mom is still a church member. These girls will have to be 18+. They are doing what they call a mission, which is spreading the word of their religion. If you don't feel comfortable with them coming inside your house and asking questions then don't invite them in, and/or simply tell them you don't feel comfortable discussing personal issues. They will listen to you, because they get some pretty clear instructions about not being aggressive or rude.

For me, they have been a help and a blessing to my mother. And no one from that church has ever been anything, but nice and respectful to me even though I am not myself Mormon. If I don't feel comfortable with someone I will speak up and state that and they apologize and drop it. No worries.

A polite no thank you goes a long ways. And yes, chances are strong those girls will go on to college or university after their mission is complete. Most of those are for a year, I believe. Not too sure on that since I'm not an active member.

butterfly45
    Bronze Member
    That's really interesting, I had no idea about the mission side of it. They did have American accents so that would make sense.

No I didn't invite them in or in engage in much conversation. That particular question didn't sit right with me.

pippy longstocking
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.man [Register to see the link]
    Not a Mormon but a couple of my best friends were. Missionaries have to be 18+. They girls may have looked young but were adults. They'll basically get a full ride at BYU upon completing their mission (or the tuition is heavily discounted-- not sure which).
    Yeah , I had two young men as well the other day ,...there haven't been any missionaries for a while actually so I guessed what was going on .

Top Threads
Too Much Vitamin B ... And Coffee
Hey guys, so lately and on weekends especially, I've been feeling very wired/wound up, trouble sleeping, a bit "moody" lots of energy. Last night
Yikes - I just wet the bed...
I am 44 this month, and last night I wet my bed :concern: This has [I]never [/I]happened before and I am really hoping it's a one-off. I think I
Too Much CoffeeVitamin B
So lately and on weekends especially, I've been feeling very wired/wound up, trouble sleeping or too much sleep. Last night was out with BF till

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice