Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Need ideas for small gifts to bring to co-workers in China

LoveSoDeep

My sister and I are going to China next week(Shanghai) and her employer has an office there. She works with the people in that office on many projects. When they come to the US they bring in little gifts for their co-workers, so we want to bring them something.

The gifts they bring are small things that we can't really get in the US or that are much easier to get there/cheaper there. We're at a loss trying to think of what we should bring them like foods or candy that hey love but can't get or small drugstore type items like $10 or less. Any ideas?

**They are all Mechanical Engineers or Lab techs if that makes any difference.

Make sure it's something allowed through customs. Check out this site: ]

Good point. Thanks!

She does work with these people and most have come to her office in the US in the past bringing small gifts (nothing lavish).

Any ideas....even if it's things that are just novel because they are American.

I know sweets are not the same in China one of my co-workers brings us candy from China when she goes and they are delicious but just not as sweet/sugary as most American candy so I'm thinking our candy might not go over so well there.

Candy (special local ones would be good) or chocolate is a good idea.

My cousin who lives in Singapore, brought back big packs of nougat to share with her co-workers when she came to visit me in Australia, apparently they love it and can't seem to buy that over there. And of course it's not overly sweet, which is good.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks I ended up taking some special chocolates that are made in the Pacific Northwest. My family loves these chocolates and I always end up bringing half a dozen bars with when I go home so we decided they would be a nice special treat.

In true Chinese fashion they did not open the candy while she was there so I didn't hear if they liked them but she did say they seemed interested when she gave them out.

Archived